22%
Not Crap
78%

Total votes : 132

Re: Band: Afghan Whigs

Postby numberthirty on Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:31 am

Fall? They're playing Metro in August.

http://www.chicagoreader.com/chicago/EarlyWarnings
154 wrote:Are you in Voivod or something?
numberthirty
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby musicgrl on Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:52 am

numberthirty wrote:Fall? They're playing Metro in August.

http://www.chicagoreader.com/chicago/EarlyWarnings

YES!
As a Lollapalooza after-show
But it looks like they are starting to book a Fall US tour after the all the Summer festivals and Summer Euro/Australia tour:

D.C. on 9/28
NYC on 10/5
I expect more dates thereafter, including another show in Chicago
musicgrl
warren spahn
warren spahn

Postby emmanuelle cunt on Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:08 am

Steve V. wrote:
SecondEdition wrote:Greg Dulli must have found a hell of a diet plan.

Yeah dude. Homie was looking pretty I-can-see-your-Gibson-ES335-slanted-over-your-gut a little while back.

No shit. I haven't recognized him at first.

edit: I listened to 'Gentlemen' recently as this was the record I liked the most. I still have the same gripe with this band and I can't quite say what it is: vocals are too dramatic, guitars are too, dunno, obviously rhythmical (if that makes any sense) so I just can't enjoy it that much. I'd still give them NC, though.
caix wrote:^ more like "a manual vagina."
emmanuelle cunt
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby musicgrl on Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:21 pm

Geez - tough crowd posting what I think may be the the worst photo I've ever seen of him! Weird expression and bad angle. I don't think it even looks like him (back in 2008 I think?)

And definitely not now:

Can we just move on already and talk about the band's MUSIC?
Last edited by musicgrl on Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
musicgrl
warren spahn
warren spahn

Postby placeholder on Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:37 pm

Getting a real "street team" vibe from the ol' Afghan Whigs thread lately.
placeholder
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby mt on Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:48 pm

placeholder wrote:Getting a real "street team" vibe from the ol' Afghan Whigs thread lately.

Exactly. I was hesitant to say something, but yeah, exactly those words in quotes up there.
mt
the white ho
the white ho

Postby musicgrl on Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:43 am

mt wrote:
placeholder wrote:Getting a real "street team" vibe from the ol' Afghan Whigs thread lately.

Exactly. I was hesitant to say something, but yeah, exactly those words in quotes up there.

They happen to be my favorite band of all time. I have no affiliation with the band at all. If you bothered to read my posts, you would see that I go to shows all the time in Chicago. I rarely travel to see a band, but The Whigs are one of the few I've travelled to go see. I am so excited about the reformation and tour, that I went to 2 of the shows and have been keeping up with the awesome videos on YouTube, so I've posted here a lot lately. I never got to see them the first time around because I was a poor student at the time out of state in a town where no one ever played and it was always a huge regret for me that I missed them the first time around. Finally, I think it's total crap that there is always some discussion about how Dulli looks and how much he weighs - it's fucking ridiculous - I've never come across such criticism of other artists on the other threads (although in fairness I haven't read them ALL) but I think it's stupid and irrelevant as to whether a band/artist is good or not, so yeah, I've responded specifically to those comments too. What is the obsession with that with him anyway???

I shouldn't really have to explain myself, and considering all the number of other threads I've contributed to, I find this pretty ridiculous and kind of insulting.
Last edited by musicgrl on Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
musicgrl
warren spahn
warren spahn

Postby numberthirty on Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:53 am

Street teams don't care about if it's ok to wear pjs at 7-11.
numberthirty

Postby musicgrl on Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:00 am

Yeah - my other most-frequented thread is probably the f-ing Jammies thread. I refuse to call them PJs after that girl went off on me and basically called me a 20 year old boy band loving, corporate commercial singing, white trash Disney World loving moron for using the word Jammies. I am pretty new to this forum - and I've seen some comments in threads about the lack of women and what happens to all the new posters. Gee, I wonder?

Sorry that my unwavering love of The Whigs (and really all things Dulli) has annoyed some to the point of pegging me as some PR street team hack. And to think, I have barely gotten started in the Twilight Singers or Gutter Twins threads...
Last edited by musicgrl on Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
musicgrl
warren spahn
warren spahn

Postby squarewave on Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:17 am

Just don't say pajayjays or something equally stupid.

Also, I see that tix go on sale today for the Afghan Whigs aftershow at Metro in August.
There is no chance in hell that I am braving a festival to see them, so this would be the only shot.

As my usual horrible luck would have it, I am basically bust right now for another few days.

I have a feeling that the ticket will be spoken for in a matter of minutes.
If anyone gets an extra (or winds up with an extra) hit me up asap. Thanks.
rocker654 wrote:(regarding jail) I can't recommend it. The toast is too rubbery, and the bellboys have too much snotty attitude.

steve wrote:I haven't heard your band, and you might not want me to.
squarewave
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity

Postby placeholder on Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:30 am

Fair points! I'm not annoyed at all, not that it matters if I am. I apologize for being rude!

I am certain there are several bands I've appeared to be "street-teaming" for myself.
placeholder

Postby musicgrl on Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:57 am

placeholder wrote:Fair points! I'm not annoyed at all, not that it matters if I am. I apologize for being rude!

I am certain there are several bands I've appeared to be "street-teaming" for myself.

You and MT have made me feel like I shouldn't even post in this thread anymore about my favorite band. I know there are a few other fans here and I thought they'd want to know about the tour and the pre-sale info for the club shows (which I simply got from the band's FB page). But I've learned my lesson here and won't bother to post that stuff anymore. People will just have to look for themselves. Too bad that you are so skeptical and quick to judge new posters.

Numberthirty, I was selfishly holding back on posting about the Metro show because I was so nervous about getting tickets I didn't want to post about the ticket sale anywhere! After the eTix site crashed several times, I was finally able to get my tix, but it looks like the show has already sold out. I can't believe I'm finally going to see them at Metro - It almost makes up for having to miss the 1996 show at Metro for the Black Love tour because it was my graduation weekend from grad school out of state.

Squarewave, if any of my friends have any extra I will let you know, we were all trying for the max number (4) in case others got shut out, but I was only able to get 2 which are spoken for.
musicgrl
warren spahn
warren spahn

Postby musicgrl on Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:53 am

Anyone know how to reach Squarewave?

A friend just sent a message that one of her group cancelled and she has an extra tix to the Metro show that she wants to sell to a fan for face value, and I promised to let him know if any extras turned up

I sent him a PM but it looks like he hasn't checked in or posted for a few weeks

Time is of the essence to grab this ticket for him, so if anyone knows how to reach him and tell him that I sent him a PM here, it would be appreciated

Thanks!
musicgrl
warren spahn
warren spahn

Postby squarewave on Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:12 am

my lsptop is broken and it seems that the iPad app and the Droid app do not play well with the PM system here. hit me at 2ndrick@gmail and I will send you my phone number etc
rocker654 wrote:(regarding jail) I can't recommend it. The toast is too rubbery, and the bellboys have too much snotty attitude.

squarewave

Postby Mr. Chimp on Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:18 pm

Anyone have the files of early Whigs tracks that they'd be willing to share?

"Now We Can Begin"
"Sister Brother"
"Turning In Two"

As far as I can tell, none of these are available digitally.
It's like you put everything into a bottle inside itself.

I drum Light Coma & Bully Pulpit & Andrew Cohen & Light Coma
I bass Small Awesome
Mr. Chimp
Leader with Extraordinary Personality
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Postby musicgrl on Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:11 pm

squarewave wrote:my lsptop is broken and it seems that the iPad app and the Droid app do not play well with the PM system here. hit me at 2ndrick@gmail and I will send you my phone number etc

My friend is heading to the venue really early and will have it for you there. Let's hash out the details on email - sending you a message now...
musicgrl
warren spahn
warren spahn

Postby musicgrl on Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:17 pm

I just can't resist posting this video of the EPIC show at Metro last night...

musicgrl
warren spahn
warren spahn

Postby squarewave on Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:48 pm

musicgrl is definitely an AW superfan, but no more than I am more the Mats and Pixies, and no more than most of this board is for Shellac or Jesus Lizard. She was completely cool in helping me track down a ticket (at face value) and even helped another couple in line score a ticket. This show at Metro was absolutely RAD.

Say what you will about Dulli's previous rockstar eccentricities, but I saw a genuinely cool guy pull a young girl up on stage who I had befriended hours earlier on the sidewalk. She and her BF flew in from NYC for Lollapallooza weekend, and he remembered her from shows from years ago... danced with her, and then dedicated the song to her and introduced her to the crowd as his friend from NYC. He introduced her by name after probably not having seen her for years. He made that girls year (decade) with that gesture, and for that alone the rock star behavio(u)r of the past is forgiven in my book...

Also, the entire show was on point. The whole band looked in good health and the voices and chops were strong.

NOT CRAP.
-SQ

squarewave

Postby numberthirty on Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:00 pm

Good to see Squarewave's hookup worked out and everyone had fun.
numberthirty

Postby numberthirty on Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:12 am

My brother's review from Friday -

- "The horn section and backup singers were sick."
- "Greg was singing and playing keys like a motherfucker. His voice was just sick."
numberthirty

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap