Afghan Whigs?

Crap
22%
Not Crap
78%

Total votes : 132

Re: Band: Afghan Whigs

Postby joelb on Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:47 pm

When I saw the setup Saturday night, my first comment was "I didn't expect them to go all Spiritualized."

It was good, though. At full complement it was 3 guitars, bass, drums, keys, brass and 3 backup singers. That sounds utterly ridiculously indulgent and maybe so, but they got a swinging racket out of it a few times. And they played about half the show without all that, so good.
DrAwkward wrote:If SKID ROW likes them enough to take them on tour, they must have something going on, right?
joelb
tired of birds
tired of birds

Postby musicgrl on Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:04 pm

No. 30, your brother's "sick" review made me laugh but was just about right on, except that Mr. Dulli only played keys on one song, their cover of Frank Ocean's Love Crimes. It was a GREAT performance of that song and his voice is sounding amazing. At the risk of being called a "street teamer" again, you should know that the 2 new cover songs, Love Crimes and See And Don't See, are available for free download on the band's website.

Joelb, I knew as soon as I saw the horns and backup singers that we would get Omerta/Vampire, which they've already played this tour, and I really was hoping for John the Baptist, which we got and was awesome (and posted above - 2nd song in the vid). What I didn't expect was Neglekted AND Citi Soleil too. The horns and backup singers were a big part of their last album 1965, but they appropriately only prominently featured the backup singers for the songs off of that album and didn't use the horns for anything but songs from that album where they were used in the original recording. In case anyone is interested in the setlist, photo below:

RE the US club tour: I have a friend who had to cancel plans to see the sold out D.C. show, Fri, Sept. 28 at the 9:30 Club. I believe she has 2 tickets and I know she wants to sell them at face value to a fan who will go to the show and not scalp it. There also may be an extra ticket or two that will come available for the sold out Cinci show at Bogart's, Thurs, Oct. 25 - again for face value to a fan who will go to the show. So to make sure that happens, usually my friends will only sell the tickets at the venue for cash the night of the show to the buyer to make sure it won't be resold to scalp. If you are interested, send me a PM and l promise to get in touch for you.
musicgrl
warren spahn
warren spahn

Postby milkmeat on Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:02 pm

Chicago show was completely great. I moved my ass around like I was getting paid to move my ass around.
milkmeat
meatball enthusiast
meatball enthusiast

Postby cneutron on Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:07 pm

fucking Little Darlin'!
oh man, oh man, oh man, me and my bandmate are going to the SF show... I am so damn psyched for this.
cneutron
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby musicgrl on Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:33 pm

cneutron wrote:fucking Little Darlin'!
oh man, oh man, oh man, me and my bandmate are going to the SF show... I am so damn psyched for this.

There's 2 SF shows scheduled now on back to back nights, probably with fairly different set lists. This was the setlist from the first Bowery show (they've also played Come See About Me and If I Were Going, and I'm sure some others, so far from what I've seen on other setlists)

Last edited by musicgrl on Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.
musicgrl
warren spahn
warren spahn

Postby squarewave on Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:34 pm

cneutron wrote:fucking Little Darlin'!

Oh yeah.... Owned that Thin Lizzy cover!!,
rocker654 wrote:(regarding jail) I can't recommend it. The toast is too rubbery, and the bellboys have too much snotty attitude.

steve wrote:I haven't heard your band, and you might not want me to.
squarewave
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity

Postby cneutron on Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:34 pm

I never saw them way back when... so i'm just excited to see them at all.
If they play a Thin Lizzy cover, i'm going to just take that as a bonus.

Very excited for this.
cneutron
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby Gramsci on Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:12 am

The London show last Sunday was phenomenal.
clocker bob may 30, 2006 wrote:I think the possibility of interbreeding between an earthly species and an extraterrestrial species is as believable as any other explanation for the existence of George W. Bush.
Gramsci
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby musicgrl on Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:22 pm

Gramsci wrote:The London show last Sunday was phenomenal.

Glad to hear that you caught them this tour Gramsci. I heard the same from some friends in attendance. The only minor complaint I heard from one was about the sound, but it seems like someone is always complaining about that no matter the venue these days. The setlist looked fantastic for the Koko show - fun to see Son of the South on there. I can't wait for the US club shows to begin next month.
musicgrl
warren spahn
warren spahn

Postby Mr. Chimp on Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:53 pm

Mr. Chimp wrote:Anyone have the files of early Whigs tracks that they'd be willing to share?

"Now We Can Begin"
"Sister Brother"
"Turning In Two"

As far as I can tell, none of these are available digitally.

So, no then?
It's like you put everything into a bottle inside itself.

I drum Light Coma & Bully Pulpit & Andrew Cohen & Light Coma
I bass Small Awesome
Mr. Chimp
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Postby musicgrl on Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:07 pm

Mr. Chimp wrote:
Mr. Chimp wrote:Anyone have the files of early Whigs tracks that they'd be willing to share?

"Now We Can Begin"
"Sister Brother"
"Turning In Two"

As far as I can tell, none of these are available digitally.

So, no then?

No digital files of these, but there has been talk now with the reformation that the band might release rare tracks and re-release b-sides digitally.
musicgrl
warren spahn
warren spahn

Postby squarewave on Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:07 pm

Not to argue... but if anyone has the analog versions (CD, cassette, LP, 7 inch, etc) then we can figure out a way to make it digital so that it can be shared on a case-by-case basis until they figure out what they want to do with them commercially.

Since Musicgrl was cool enough to assist me with the ticket for the Lollapalooza after show, I have really gotten back into this band. She and I kinda became online friends, and she and some of her fellow Whigheads have been sharing some cool things.
rocker654 wrote:(regarding jail) I can't recommend it. The toast is too rubbery, and the bellboys have too much snotty attitude.

steve wrote:I haven't heard your band, and you might not want me to.
squarewave

Postby musicgrl on Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:47 am

squarewave wrote:Not to argue... but if anyone has the analog versions (CD, cassette, LP, 7 inch, etc) then we can figure out a way to make it digital so that it can be shared on a case-by-case basis until they figure out what they want to do with them commercially.

Since Musicgrl was cool enough to assist me with the ticket for the Lollapalooza after show, I have really gotten back into this band. She and I kinda became online friends, and she and some of her fellow Whigheads have been sharing some cool things.

SQWV,

The band has a strict policy against trading any official release of any kind. So I won't, especially considering the fact that they've just announced that they may re-release these out of print tracks. I think every band had the right to release their own music when and how they want (or never), and deserves to be paid for it, but I think that's the subject of another thread so I'll leave it at that.

That said, any bootlegs of shows are free to share, and my friends are great about tracking those down and sharing. The band has also been giving away their new releases free, (covers of Marie Queenie Lyons and Frank Ocean) which you can download at their website. And Whighead? Um, just no.
musicgrl
warren spahn
warren spahn

Postby Mr. Chimp on Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:02 pm

musicgrl wrote:
squarewave wrote:Not to argue... but if anyone has the analog versions (CD, cassette, LP, 7 inch, etc) then we can figure out a way to make it digital so that it can be shared on a case-by-case basis until they figure out what they want to do with them commercially.

SQWV,

The band has a strict policy against trading any official release of any kind. So I won't, especially considering the fact that they've just announced that they may re-release these out of print tracks. I think every band had the right to release their own music when and how they want (or never), and deserves to be paid for it, but I think that's the subject of another thread so I'll leave it at that.

Hey, considering these haven't been available for 20 years, I'm not overly concerned. And I own them, just don't have any way to digitally transfer.

That being said, consider the request closed [/wink] and if/when the band makes these available I'll be happy to buy clean digital transfers.
It's like you put everything into a bottle inside itself.

I drum Light Coma & Bully Pulpit & Andrew Cohen & Light Coma
I bass Small Awesome
Mr. Chimp

Postby kerble on Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:28 pm

musicgrl wrote:And Whighead? Um, just no.

Yeah. The preferred nomenclature is 'Whiggers'.
kerble is right.
SA | SF | FZ | SI | RD | DA | K | CP | T
kerble
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby dontfeartheringo on Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:59 pm

kerble wrote:

WHEGROES.

Jesus, you people.
Anthony Flack wrote:The sax would be a cool instrument if people would only stop making it go burrrrrBLEEEEEE.
dontfeartheringo
Master of Cunnilingus
Master of Cunnilingus

Postby musicgrl on Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:03 pm

kerble wrote:

No it's not!

I think it's just "fan" like for any other band :)
musicgrl
warren spahn
warren spahn

Postby kerble on Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:53 pm

Whatever you say, my Whigress.
kerble is right.
SA | SF | FZ | SI | RD | DA | K | CP | T
kerble
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby dontfeartheringo on Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:21 pm

Whigglesbottoms.

Also, Bling Pigs.
Anthony Flack wrote:The sax would be a cool instrument if people would only stop making it go burrrrrBLEEEEEE.
dontfeartheringo
Master of Cunnilingus
Master of Cunnilingus

Postby musicgrl on Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:27 pm

Thanks Almighty Kerble

DFTR - you've been watching too many kiddie shows and reading too many of your old posts :)

Here's a great video from the Metro show to get back to the topic at hand. It really gets going when the band hits the chorus. This one was a great big awesome sing along. Kerble and Mr. C should really buy a ticket to the second Metro date that was just announced before it sells out too...

Last edited by musicgrl on Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
musicgrl
warren spahn
warren spahn

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap