Afghan Whigs?

Crap
22%
Not Crap
78%

Total votes : 132

Re: Band: Afghan Whigs

Postby tallchris on Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:37 pm

I own Gentlemen and have listened to the Sub Pop records a few times. Even when there's a good riff or vocal part it just seems in service of nothing. Like the audio equivalent of running in sand.

Waffles for the song Marcy from Scrawl sings. Too bad she didn't sing all their songs.

CRAP.
Bass, minivan: [BRACKETS]
Guitar, vocals: BURN PERMITS
Bass, vocals: POLICE TEETH
tallchris
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby Evin Relocation on Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:34 pm

tallchris wrote:I own Gentlemen and have listened to the Sub Pop records a few times. Even when there's a good riff or vocal part it just seems in service of nothing. Like the audio equivalent of running in sand.

Waffles for the song Marcy from Scrawl sings. Too bad she didn't sing all their songs.

CRAP.

I like Gentlemen enough, but yeah... that song kind of closes the book on the band for me.
Evin Relocation
forced to change shirt
forced to change shirt

Postby musicgrl on Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:54 pm

And they're playing Metro again tonight...

http://touch.chicagotribune.com/#sectio ... -73063252/

Reunited, stronger Afghan Whigs transcend nostalgia
By Bob Gendron, Special to the Tribune
October 28, 2012

Afghan Whigs revive combustible chemistry
"Good, I get to dress up and play the assassin again," sang-spoke Afghan Whigs leader Greg Dulli Friday at a packed Metro. "It's my favorite, it's got personality." Inhabiting vindictive roles and exuding charisma has always come naturally to the vocalist, and at the first concert of a two-night stand, he didn't lack character. The dapper front man ad-libbed lyrics, flirted with girls in the audience and teasingly chastised a fan for talking.

Following Dulli's command, the Afghan Whigs also reprised some of the self-flagellating contempt and relationship-targeted spite for which it became known in the early 90s. Vicious songs such as "What Jail Is Like" and "Debonair" renounced truth and remorse in favor of deception and vengeance. "Gentlemen" witnessed Dulli use body language to select his prey, and a brawling hook to reinforce the carnal intent. Yet the recently reunited group, expanded with a supporting guitarist and a multi-instrumentalist, also proved itself considerably removed from the past. Musically and emotionally, it exhibited strengths and attitudes rarely present during its original tenure.

While the band built up its reputation by putting on exhilarating shows, the disciplined approach and on-point rhythms displayed during the 105-minute set signified a resolve to transcend nostalgia and correct prior missteps. Dulli led by example. He reached elevated notes and intensified crescendos, both formerly off-limits due to his since-kicked smoking habit. Benefiting from the improved range, the dramatic coda to "Fountain and Fairfax" turned into a shouted-from-the-mountaintop demand. On a somber rendition of Marie Queenie Lyons' "See and Don't See," Dulli wandered a midst the crowd like a shadow, revealing a nuanced falsetto.

But the biggest difference between then and now pertained to the ensemble's maturation into a more multi-faceted, and more soulful, band. Graced with gospel harmonies, a rearranged "When We Two Parted" became a poignant hymnal. Lust, temptation and sensuality tempered acrimony and aggression. The Afghan Whigs strutted ("66"), swaggered ("Crazy") and soared ("Faded"), with Rick McCollum's slide-guitar fills adding blues and R&B counterpoints. As he interacted with his mates, Dulli smiled—an expression often absent during the group's earlier days.

The enthusiasm carried over to the collective's tradition of punctuating original material with theme-enhancing covers. Abbreviated versions of Drake and the Weeknd tunes reflected a contemporary mindset. As did the local debut of the bittersweet "Into the Floor," a new song that brought Dulli to his knees and served as the strongest hint that the Afghan Whigs' reunion may yield more than a tour.
musicgrl
warren spahn
warren spahn

Postby sulfur)addict on Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:12 pm

They were pretty fantastic last night. Granted, the crowd was full of nostalgic thirty-somethings clinging to their youth, but the band was great.

Rick McCollum deserves more respect than he gets.

Greg Dulli still has a rock star douche swagger about him, but at his age, it's endearing. He rocked both "See and Don't See" and "Love Crimes."

So yeah, NC for the Afghan Whigs, tons of fun in concert.
Kerouacian as fuck.

NewDarkAge wrote:why, the fuck, would you post zizek in this thread
sulfur)addict
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness

Postby hackthesidesaway on Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:11 pm

sulfur)addict wrote:They were pretty fantastic last night. Granted, the crowd was full of nostalgic thirty-somethings clinging to their youth, but the band was great.

fuckin' old people.

NOT CRAP THIS BAND IS.
hackthesidesaway
pope
pope

Postby Major on Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:52 am

Major
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby Gramsci on Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:15 am

The Afghan Whigs To Release Their First
New Album In Sixteen Years On Sub Pop

Do To The Beast
Will Be Released Worldwide On April 14th & 15th
clocker bob may 30, 2006 wrote:I think the possibility of interbreeding between an earthly species and an extraterrestrial species is as believable as any other explanation for the existence of George W. Bush.
Gramsci
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby milkmeat on Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:29 pm

From the recent live shows, the singles from a few years ago, and the fact that they posted pics on FB of what appears to be a guy recording a tuba part, I think this record will probably be pretty good.
milkmeat
meatball enthusiast
meatball enthusiast

Postby numberthirty on Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:20 pm

milkmeat wrote:From the recent live shows, the singles from a few years ago, and the fact that they posted pics on FB of what appears to be a guy recording a tuba part, I think this record will probably be pretty good.

They would have to pull a Metallica for it not to be great.
154 wrote:Are you in Voivod or something?
numberthirty
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby jeff_fox on Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:23 pm

Now HERE'S a band that has never had anything to offer for me, ever. It's everything I hate about rock and rock-dudes. Just about tied with Urge Overkill.
zom-zom wrote:Posterior means butt.
Gay Name|Hungry Man|MegaMaul|Blank Banker
jeff_fox
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby musicgrl on Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:25 pm

I was out in Seattle for the Sub Pop Silver Jubilee Festival this summer and saw Dulli's set. This might be one of the new AW tracks. I found a video (not the best quality), but I really liked the song played live. If it's any indication, I think it will be a great album.

phpBB [media]
Last edited by musicgrl on Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
musicgrl
warren spahn
warren spahn

Postby zom-zom on Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:55 am

Yuck.. that's awful.
zom-zom
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby righthanded on Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:17 pm

Used to listen to them but find less and less to like about them as the years have accumulated. I really loved the song on Gentleman that GD didn't sing, was told by a FM that I should check out Scrawl, and never looked back.
righthanded
freelance sperm donor
freelance sperm donor

Postby Major on Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:38 pm

Gramsci wrote:The Afghan Whigs To Release Their First
New Album In Sixteen Years On Sub Pop

Do To The Beast
Will Be Released Worldwide On April 14th & 15th

I am really, really hoping that they consider remastering/reissuing the older albums. Congregation is such a great album but it's hard to listen to because it sounds like shit, see also Up In It.

I saw them between Black Love and 1965 and once during the 2012 tour and goddamn if they didn't seem tighter for the reunion. I've got high hopes for this new record/tour and will be surprised if they don't live up to my expectations.
Major
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby Major on Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:59 am

Steve V. wrote:
phpBB [media]

First single off the new tape.

It sucks cock. Like ten years into the marriage. Like "blech, okay, fine."

I love "Gentlemen," so so so so much, and I didn't expect them to even near that territory. I speak from resign. I saw them live last year-ish, and they were amazingly good.

But this new single blows. I'll get the record, but my hopes that it's even close to "Black Love" are dashed.

DASHED, DAMN YOU.

I have avoided watching the "Algiers" video for fear that it may suck. It was disappointing enough to learn that Rick McCollum would not be part of AW 2K14. I want to remain excited about this new album. I don't want to hear a note of it until my copy arrives from Sub Pop.
Major
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby barndog on Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:29 am

I really like the Afghan Whigs - but I can't believe how bad that video / song is. Awful.

Gentlemen is soo good.

Oh well.
barndog
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents

Postby sulfur)addict on Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:34 pm

Sweet mother of god that's bad. I was hoping Dulli's more modest approach in fronting Twilight Singers meant he was over the rockstardom thing, but a white limo in the desert suggests he is not.

Also he looks like an ailing Roy Orbison.

Rick McCollum is sorely missed on that track. So is any kind of hook.
Kerouacian as fuck.

NewDarkAge wrote:why, the fuck, would you post zizek in this thread
sulfur)addict

Postby Bernardo on Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:06 pm

Am I the first to say John Belushi?
Bernardo

Postby numberthirty on Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:36 pm

Major wrote: It was disappointing enough to learn that Rick McCollum would not be part of AW 2K14.

The band who would do that being the "Bitch", not Major.
numberthirty

Postby numberthirty on Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:43 pm

Jeez, the video...

Eastwood, homie ain't.

It appears they are going to pull a hybrid Dino Jr./Wilco.

Dino in that it should be on solo records. Wilco in that dressing some of those pitbull players up like a poodle is the peak of "not cool".
numberthirty

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap