Postby AnthonyVillalobos on Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:07 am

Shit band.

Crap.
AnthonyVillalobos
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Re:

Postby noise&light on Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:38 am

burun wrote:I have a long-form video of theirs that makes me howl with laughter, a la the Metallica "in studio" vids (pick your favorite) or the Danzig.

I have seen Pete Steele naked, and it wasn't in Playgirl. He is incredibly...tall.

Do tell. I would like information regarding both the videos and how you have seen Pete Steele naked.
There's no reason
To feel all the hard times
To lay down the hard lines
It's absolutely true
noise&light
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Re: Re:

Postby ctrl-s on Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:05 am

noise&light wrote:
burun wrote:I have a long-form video of theirs that makes me howl with laughter, a la the Metallica "in studio" vids (pick your favorite) or the Danzig.

I have seen Pete Steele naked, and it wasn't in Playgirl. He is incredibly...tall.

Do tell. I would like information regarding both the videos and how you have seen Pete Steele naked.

+1 tbqh
"I swear to God if you ever turn in a piece of shit like this to me again I will flunk your ass. I shit you not." -- DFW
ctrl-s
forced to change shirt
forced to change shirt

Re: Band: Type O Negative

Postby Jodi S. on Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:15 am

I am pretty sure the Type O video did not survive the Great Moving Purge of 2009, unless I deemed it too funny to throw away and it's in a box that has yet to be unpacked.
Jodi S.
Influential Poster

Location: I am sitting in a room, different from the one you are in.

Postby ctrl-s on Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:46 am

And?
"I swear to God if you ever turn in a piece of shit like this to me again I will flunk your ass. I shit you not." -- DFW
ctrl-s
forced to change shirt
forced to change shirt

Postby Chromodynamic on Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:45 am

They covered the song, "Angry Inch", everything about that is awesome.
Chromodynamic
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby M.H on Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:08 pm

Going through another 'sober up/ start exercising/ listen to rubbish rock bands' cycle and gave these guys a try.

Pros:
. Bloody Kisses going Platinum w/ 9 min plus versions of the MTV hits.
. Peter Steele's attitude, lyrics and aesthetic. (Definite man crush territory.)
. Producing all their own records. (Badly, but it shows more ambition than average.)

Cons:
. 75% of the music.

I'd give them a guilty pleasure kind of crap if World Coming Down wasn't so close to being great: big, slow, grinding and MISERABLE. It's the only record I've heard that takes a doomy vibe and mixes it well with big mainstream rock values. (Take that, Paradise Lost!)

Honestly not sure how to vote. My head is saying crap, but the heart is whispering something else...
M.H
cmdr. william adama
cmdr. william adama

Postby M.H on Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:43 am

October Rust has clicked with me in a big way recently. It's surprisingly well composed and lush sounding, much closer to the Beatles' later records than the Sisters of Mercy or Danzig. The keyboardist is their secret weapon, IMO, I love the clever little 4AD-esque flourishes he uses to embellish the tunes, especially this one:

phpBB [media]

Still not convinced by Bloody Kisses, (way too knowingly tongue-in-cheek for my tastes) but October Rust, World Coming Down and the bizarre slice of sociopathic rage that is Slow, Deep and Hard (which is essentially an ungodly hybrid of crossover thrash, suicidally confessional lyrics and primitive industrial experiments) are good enough to give them a solid not crap. Pity that they're remembered for the imagery and goofy singles rather than their many misery-drenched monster tunes.
M.H
cmdr. william adama
cmdr. william adama

Postby numberthirty on Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:48 pm

Kicking around in some related threads, it occurred to me that Kenny should get some sort of a "Legit Bad Ass..." award for landing all of those parts tuned down to "B" back in the days before baritones were commonplace.

And, uh...

Type O forever.
154 wrote:Are you in Voivod or something?
numberthirty
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby M.H on Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:09 pm

numberthirty wrote:Kenny should get some sort of a "Legit Bad Ass..." award for landing all of those parts tuned down to "B".

Yeah, drop tune to C or lower and it's tricky to make memorable melodies. I think they worked so well together as a unit that Kenny and Josh covered a lot of space, musically speaking. Non-cheesy metal keyboardists are a rare breed, but Kenny is a real team player - very little ego in his playing, even though he's got the chops to shred.

October Rust is (mostly) magic. Check it out if you haven't.
M.H
cmdr. william adama
cmdr. william adama

Postby numberthirty on Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:08 am

M.H wrote:
numberthirty wrote:Kenny should get some sort of a "Legit Bad Ass..." award for landing all of those parts tuned down to "B".

Yeah, drop tune to C or lower and it's tricky to make memorable melodies. I think they worked so well together as a unit that Kenny and Josh covered a lot of space, musically speaking. Non-cheesy metal keyboardists are a rare breed, but Kenny is a real team player - very little ego in his playing, even though he's got the chops to shred.

October Rust is (mostly) magic. Check it out if you haven't.

Check it out/took it back to the library/checked it out a couple more times.

As for "Cheesy", Pete/Kenny/Josh were all pretty good at being able to go all in on the "Goofball" parts while being able to go back to the deadpan parts.

This video is actually a pretty great peek into where some of the stuff came from(along with things that influenced what they did...)

154 wrote:Are you in Voivod or something?
numberthirty
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Previous

Return to Crap / Not Crap