12%
Big Fun
2%
Water Babies
No votes

Total votes : 43

Re: Fusion-Era Miles Dome

Postby cjh on Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:18 pm

The box sets are nuts, The Complete On The Corner Sessions, The Complete In A Silent Way Sessions. The Complete Jack Johnson Sessions. Jesus Christ.

For reasons I can't fathom I've always been quite cool about Bitches Brew, it's never really clicked and I feel slightly annoyed that it's held up as a touchstone of jazz fusion when all the other albums and sessions from this period are so much better than the released version.

He Loved Him Madly, can't really get past that one, it erases time. I want to say Get Up With It for that alone but I'm not sure I've given it a fair shake it's so heavily front-loaded.

As a younger man I was keen to blast On The Corner from a minimum wage pizza kitchen, it sounded substantially pissed off and I can very easily fall into the flow of this record.

I'm at an age where I'm essentially happy with any of this period playing in perpetuity, nearly all of the live albums from this period are incredible, special mention for Agharta and Dark Magus.
cjh
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom

Postby boilermaker on Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:39 pm

I like the box sets from this period too. IASW, On the Corner and Cellar Door Sessions being the best. The Jack Johnson box is too full of awful repetitions of noodling dreck for much of it's length. The remastered single disk of Jack Johnson is a far better buy.
boilermaker
back door man
back door man

Postby Domagoj on Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:43 am

Get Up With It

Agharta / Dark Magus

On the Corner

enough for me.
Domagoj
gorilla
gorilla

Postby iembalm on Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:16 am

Of the three I have heard, only Jack Johnson is still in my home.
iembalm
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby eephour on Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:22 pm

In a Silent Way. Goddamn that's a good record, yes the boxset is lovely too.

Jack and Live Evil are great too, but I voted Silent by a slim margin.
eephour
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge

Postby i am the smud on Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:49 pm

Bump

I have been on a really big Miles binge lately. I got the complete Bitches Brew and Jack Johnson sessions years ago, never spent serious time with the Bitches Brew stuff till recently (finally caught that Jesus Lizard took some cues for "Then Comes Dudely" from "Great Expectations").

God damn, this man was a fucking genius. Listen to this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuPFGTqvLcM
We are all Romans unconscious collective/We are all Romans we live to regret it
i am the smud
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby longdivi on Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:34 am

djimbe wrote:
i am the smud wrote: Mahavishnu Orchestra is the only other band I can think of that brought some menace to Jazz Fusion

there's some pretty startling Larry Coryell stuff from the early-mid '70's too, but Miles and the Orchestra sorta defined the genre...

How about Mwandishi-era Herbie Hancock, like Sextant and Crossings? Both dark and great.
longdivi
linus torvalds
linus torvalds

Postby madmanmunt on Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:29 pm

I like to think of it as The Michael Henderson Band featuring Miles Davis.

Electric Miles is pretty much in constant rotation chez moi: I don't even look at which one I'm playing usually, just fish out a CD at random from the pile and put it in.

As good as the guitar playing is on all of these records, I find the second Miles' trumpet comes in, it seems slightly clumsy in comparison. Doesn't detract from the greatness of the records in any way, however.

Only exception: never dug In A Silent Way, for some reason.
Book of Leo, Chapter 19 Verse 46 wrote:The man thought that he knew the glory and the wrath wrought of the Stratocaster, but lo! He was corrected.

Let them measure my anus and see if it is dilated.
madmanmunt
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby Bernardo on Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:27 am

vockins wrote:the ratio I listen to Emergency! over the entire Miles Davis fusion catalog is about 5:1.

For my taste, both early Lifetime records and the Mwandishi band win over Miles' fusion period, though I can't say I heard even half of the stuff he released in that era (and forget about the boxed sets). I'm all about that first Mahavishnu record, too.

But from the little I know, I vote Jack Johnson. That's far more enjoyable to me than Bitches Brew.
Bernardo
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby Chromodynamic on Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:07 am

I'm gonna go with, A Tribute To Jack Johnson, with In A Silent Way coming in a close second.
Chromodynamic
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby Schadenfreude on Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:23 am

Oh, easily Jack Johnson.

*Miles' band almost overshadows him. It's like a A Group of Musical Super Heroes being unleashed upon the world to save us.
*James Earl Jones has a speaking role. Does Bitches Brew have James Earl Jones? I'm not aware of it.
*It's named after a boxer. I like boxing. I like boxing a whole lot.
*The sessions also include a song called "Willie Nelson." I like Willie Nelson as much as I like boxing.
*The feeling the album gives you is very tangible, very memorable. I can always remember the first time I heard it.
That's not entirely true.
Schadenfreude
chimp
chimp

Postby Heath on Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:58 pm

I remember listening to Fusion-era Davis back in high school and thinking it was the most tepid shit ever. Cautious and unsure and bogus.

I'm listening to Jack Johnson now and am flabbergasted that I ever thought that. This shit is awesome.
I don't need the people of Athens any more than I need another hole in my head. I've got five already, thank you very much.
Heath
bill bradley
bill bradley

Postby same on Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:19 pm

Wow. Tough one. Had to go with Get Up With It although I can't really say why.

The old guy who runs the stock room in our building was listening to Dark Magus the other day (great album, should have been included). The dude's always listening to some crazy jazz. Makes having to go get a box of nitrile gloves or some batteries a little less mundane of a task. Every trip to the stock room is a game of name-that-tune.
same

Postby robert thefamilyghost on Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:32 pm

tmidgett wrote:Jack Johnson (as noted, McLaughlin, and Sonny Sharrock for a minute there)

If you haven't already heard the box set, you get to extend that minute there to something close to 20 of the best ear-minutes in your life. Whoever it was I noticed saying this box is a bunch of dreck or whatever... I dunno. That's crazy-talk. Some of my favorite of Miles's moments are on this box.

As an album, however, On the Corner is probably my favorite (though A Tribute to Jack Johnson is close). Its box set is also amazing (was in print for about a minute when I was poor, then was a headache for me to track down a while back).
placeholder wrote:I'm in The Family Ghost. I don't like mentioning my band by name too much because I feel cheesy doing it.
robert thefamilyghost
urinated in reservoir
urinated in reservoir

Postby SecondEdition on Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:59 pm

Ranked, of the ones I've heard on the list:

1. Get Up With It - I am in awe of this record and have been for a very long time. Sure, on one level you could say it was a bunch of leftovers, but the album is one solid, complete experience in my eyes. Even the ridiculous blues parody works because of Miles' superb timing and funny, yet blazing sound (he really does sound guitarlike). "Calypso Frelimo" is the track that Can tried to make for the entirety of 1971 and never got close to, and "Rated X" is unbearably frightening enough to make most noise rock seem tame. "He Loved Him Madly" is longform ambient music so inescapably funereal that it sounds like you're listening to your own requiem. "Maiysha" features, in addition to what may be Miles' best-ever organ playing, two head-spinning and incredibly funky, yet completely different grooves with a guitar solo that really would have made Hendrix jealous. It was originally released on vinyl as a double album with one 32-minute side on each LP. Now that's sheer fucking balls.

2. In a Silent Way - Gorgeous, brilliant, farsighted music of purity - it's almost like a séance, almost prayerful and spiritual - but I have to admit the full looping can get to me.

3. Jack Johnson - It's an absolute classic of course, but I have to admit that when I want Miles, I turn to the other two much more often. Still, an absolute classic. I think that outside of his own Extrapolation (straight jazz), Devotion (Hendrix imitating par excellence) and the Lifetime album (fusion that doesn't suck), this features McLaughlin's best playing in the studio, and it's also his most definitive in my eyes.

4. On The Corner - What a brilliantly fucked up record - this is some of the most creative studio-as-instrument work you will ever hear - but that bassline just repeats and repeats and repeats and repeats and repeats... It's not even all that funky, to be perfectly honest. (You ever notice how one of the three or so drumsets going at the same time on the loooooooong "Helen Butte/Mr. Freedom X" medley just STOPS each time it gets to the end of the measure and then starts up again? Argh! Drives me nuts if I'm not in the right mood.) But damn... this is one cold, hateful, freaked out and malevolent record. I love how Miles buries himself in the mix at nearly every turn. He wants you to listen to the band.

5. Bitches Brew - The title track has a stone-cold classic bass line, but I've never really been nearly as over the moon about this album than the other Miles Davis fusion records I've heard. As Lester Bangs said, it sounds a little too airy. I'm just not as compelled by it as I am by the others.
Life...life...I know it's got its ups and downs.

In the someday, what's that sound.

CS. PC. MM.
SecondEdition
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby A Landing Craft on Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:38 pm

I voted for On The Corner ages ago, but to be honest my favourite Miles album of all time has to be Get Up With It. It's all-encompassing, ranging from the beautiful "He Loved Him Madly" (which I never get tired of listening to), the batshit insane "Rated X" and the super-funky "Mayisha" and "Mtume". There's no damp patches, and no dull repetitive bits opposed to the last quarter of Corner.
A Landing Craft
richard diebenkorn
richard diebenkorn

Postby AnthonyCinder on Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:12 pm

Get Up With It is a fucked up album. I really like Miles' organ playing on it. For some reason, I feel compelled to throw it on whenever I'm home during a heat wave. So, the album conjures feelings of sweating through my clothes and feeling generally lethargic. Under-appreciated for sure.
How come when it's us, it's an abortion, and when it's a chicken, it's an omelette? - George Carlin

https://cindercone.bandcamp.com/
AnthonyCinder
Leader with Extraordinary Personality
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Postby Bernardo on Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:30 pm

Listening to Live Evil for the first time and enjoying it, decided to revive this.
Bernardo

Postby skoz on Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:24 am

Live Evil I s so great

Agharta and Pangea were the first “Jazz” records I purchased as a teen followed by bitches brew so I have a bit of a soft spot for that period.
skoz
tired of birds
tired of birds

Postby M.H on Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:57 am

Hard to choose, so I went with Big Fun which compiles tracks from this whole era and has ‘Lonely Fire’, one of my favourite pieces of music.

I guess if you put a gun to my head and made me choose one of the ‘proper’ albums from this period I’d have to go with In A Silent Way. Couldn't explain why.

Have much less patience / tolerance for On The Corner these days.
M.H
cmdr. william adama
cmdr. william adama

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap