Voivod

Crap
15%
Not Crap
85%

Total votes : 86

Re: Voivod

Postby prowler on Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:36 am

stream the whole thing here: http://loudwire.com/voivod-target-earth ... um-stream/

songs are pretty good, the mix isn't that great but I expect they couldn't afford much better
prowler
"kick a ginger day" victim

Postby Dave N. on Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:50 am

The new guitar player suits them. Piggy is a hard thing to replace. Nice to hear Blacky again.

30 years. Wow.
Dave N.
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture

Postby scott on Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:52 pm

Holy shit.

Just listening to some Canadian dudes' interview with Away and thankfully they asked him where people can go on the net to find Voivod stuff. He mentioned the new Voivod.com site that Blacky set up (which doesn't display properly on an iPhone at all, but has a place to sign up for emails, which, hell yeah) and also that they have irongang.com where you can buy oldschool merch. So cruising though that site, I find that they have TAB BOOKS for both Killing Technology, each book has both the bass and guitar, which were put together by their new guitarist who I find is quickly becoming a favorite of mine. TAB BOOKS!!! They're not cheap, and good, they shouldn't be. I'm probably gonna buy both, but no way in hell I won't buy the one for Hatross.

Got a burn of the new album from a friend and haven't actually listened to the whole thing yet, but from the two songs I've heard on youtube I am really liking what I'm hearing. New guitar player seriously rules. I just checked him out on Wikipedia and apparently he's done studio/session work for some pretty kickass bands.

They were supposed to play SxSW this year but Snake got sick and they had to bail. But Away mentioned they're looking to tour the US in May or around there. Tickets will be purchased!!!

Also was pretty surprised to learn the mixing and mastering of their new album happened here in Chicago. Pretty cool.

30 years on and I'm excited about what they're up to. That says a lot to me.
May the wings of Liberty never lose a feather
first show - last show
scott
Master of Cunnilingus
Master of Cunnilingus

Postby scott on Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:06 pm

New video from Voivod, just released today

I can't even begin to quantify how happy it makes me that these guys are making this music after 5000 years as a band. And it really is Voivod, so much so, not like the iterations after Blacky and Snake walked away. This is like, Voivod. I've really come to appreciate the new kid, he is so perfect for the band. I just heard an interview with Voivod where they said he went out and bought a guitar after he saw Voivod as a kid, they're what inspired him to play. Such a great band, these guys.
first show - last show
scott
Master of Cunnilingus
Master of Cunnilingus

Postby Bernardo on Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:11 pm

scott wrote:New guitar player seriously rules. I just checked him out on Wikipedia and apparently he's done studio/session work for some pretty kickass bands.

His own band is pretty cool:

Bernardo
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby scott on Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:43 pm

Bernardo wrote:
scott wrote:New guitar player seriously rules. I just checked him out on Wikipedia and apparently he's done studio/session work for some pretty kickass bands.

I've been listening to the last Martyr album like a maniac, probably been through it 30 times by now, maybe more. Just barely starting to understand it. Seems a lot more complicated than the earlier stuff, which wasn't straightforward by any means.

I love how his playing in Voivod fits. He doesn't do the same sort of madness he does in Martyr-- he plays perfect for the songs. I have a lot of respect for that dude, I might even say he's my favorite currently active guitar player.
first show - last show
scott
Master of Cunnilingus
Master of Cunnilingus

Postby Marsupialized on Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:43 am

Marsupialized
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Location: Chicago, over by Grand and Halsted. Fulton River district, I guess?

Postby AnthonyVillalobos on Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:50 am

Bernardo wrote:

Martyr does rule. Some how Canada has great metal bands. Pretty awesome.
AnthonyVillalobos

Postby steelglam on Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:45 am

Anybody here heard Katorz? I saw it in a second-hand store last week and didn't pick it up because there were some other things that I wanted more at the time, and I haven't heard any latter-day Voivod. Should I go back and pick it up if it's still there?
steelglam
pope
pope

Postby prowler on Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:42 pm

reading this interview with Eric Forrest from 2008 and apparently they were close to recording with FM Steve back in 2001

E-Force wrote:[had] a 12-song demo ready to be recorded with full production in Chicago with [producer] Steve Albini. Then we had a band meeting, and just for the record, I did not quit Voivod! The guys told me in March 2001 that they did not want to continue Voivod anymore... Period! I did not believe it for a minute. In a lot of ways, that version of Voivod had kind of run its course.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/int ... arist.html

FM noiro please comment

FM scott, did you end up buying the tab books? i'm curious if everything is in standard tuning - at least I think Chewy plays the songs in standard

PS: just went through the whole thread, what a bunch of ninnies on page 1
Last edited by prowler on Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
prowler

Postby scott on Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:56 pm

steelglam wrote:Anybody here heard Katorz? I saw it in a second-hand store last week and didn't pick it up because there were some other things that I wanted more at the time, and I haven't heard any latter-day Voivod. Should I go back and pick it up if it's still there?

Get the new record, Target Earth, if you wanna listen to something newer. It's got a lot of really great parts on it, a handful of the songs are as good as anything they did back in the day, more or less. Katorz is from the era that I'm not as into. I think that getting Blacky back on bass and bringing Chewy in on guitar really reinvigorated the band. Target Earth is where it's at.
first show - last show
scott
Master of Cunnilingus
Master of Cunnilingus

Postby prowler on Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:19 am

playing Phobos now, such a destroyerrr

it might be my 2nd favourite after Nothingface.

tell me FM Scott, did you get the tab books?
prowler

Postby numberthirty on Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:25 am

prowler wrote:playing Phobos now, such a destroyerrr

it might be my 2nd favourite after Nothingface.

tell me FM Scott, did you get the tab books?

Phobos actually edges out Nothingface, depending on the day.

That said, the new record is a return to form without being a throwback.
154 wrote:Are you in Voivod or something?
numberthirty
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby Jeramaya on Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:47 am

'Katorz' is a fine record. It's completely straight forward, though. It's the best of the three records they did with Newstead on bass, who provided a serviceable job, though provided nothing spectacular.

But hell yes 'Target Earth' is where it's at. Blacky's sound is there. Dan's guitar is far more interesting than what had been done by Piggy on the previous three records. Snake's vocals are as solid as ever. And a few of the songs are truly inspired. Shouldn't have worked, but it does.

Anybody get Away's art book? It goes into some of the back story of his style and, of course, the album covers. Pretty cool.

And I'm somewhat curious about this: http://idiotboxeffects.bigcartel.com/pr ... distortion
"out of nothing into nothing"
https://sirnosir.bandcamp.com/
Jeramaya
complete piece of shit
complete piece of shit

Postby scott on Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:30 pm

My Blower Box is in the mail right now, tracking info says it should arrive tomorrow. I ordered it months ago but it took a long time because the dudes in Voivod took forever to autograph all of them, and then when they did, Dan signed them in a spot where the jacks were supposed to go so the builder had to move em around or something. I'll let ya know how it sounds after I get a chance to mess around with it. According to the dude who makes em, it's kinda similar to a vintage RAT, uses the same chip or transistor or whatever it is.

Also about the tab books, I got those months back, love em. I ran through every song on both guitar and bass, and it was a blast. There were only a couple of riffs that I kinda couldn't handle, the most memorable one is the verse riff in Macrosolutions, it's chords that change shape and jump strings at the same time and it's a bit fast. I could probably get it down if I worked hard at it. And then the solos, those are the same thing, they're kinda beyond me, but from what I've been able to tell from when I tried to play em, it's just a question of taking a lot of time to learn how they're played and then if I spent a ton of time working on it I'm sure I could get most of it down, maybe 75% or something, but some of it I don't think I could ever do. I can play fast and all, but some of the solo stuff is just super super fast, beyond what my fingers can do.

I would totally recommend the tab books for anyone who either wants to learn how to play any of those songs, or also anyone who just wants to expand their playing. Both the bass and guitar do things I would never in a million years think to do, and I've already seen myself doing different stuff in my own writing based on having taken the time to learn how their riffs work.

I just had a PM exchange with Dan/Chewy this week, he responded to a message I had sent him quite a while ago suggesting that if they couldn't all get together to sign the Blower Boxes at the same time, maybe they could each just sign all of em and then pass em on to the next guy. He was super cool, and I fanboy gushed at him a little and he took it in stride. :)
first show - last show
scott
Master of Cunnilingus
Master of Cunnilingus

Postby Dave N. on Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:42 pm

This may be the only time in my life I've ever been interested in looking at guitar tab.
Dave N.

Postby scott on Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:43 pm

Dave N. wrote:This may be the only time in my life I've ever been interested in looking at guitar tab.

I kinda wanna scan a page or two from Macrosolutions and post it here
first show - last show
scott
Master of Cunnilingus
Master of Cunnilingus

Postby Dave N. on Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:47 pm

scott wrote:
Dave N. wrote:This may be the only time in my life I've ever been interested in looking at guitar tab.

Please do!

Is "Inner-Combustion" in there?
Dave N.

Postby scott on Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:25 pm

Dave N. wrote:
scott wrote:

Please do!

Is "Inner-Combustion" in there?

Nah, that one's on Nothingface. There are only tab books for Killing Technology and Dimension Hatross. If there was one for Nothingface I'd buy it in a heartbeat. I've looked at tabs online before, Googling, for songs off Nothingface and some of the parts seemed right, others were completely wrong. Only one I specifically remember is this one:

http://www.songsterr.com/a/wsa/voivod-t ... b-s57857t0

The midi is both smile inducing and also irritating, the parts are captured super well, but also horribly (the whole end section, the guy clearly doesn't understand 3 meter). But I played those chords on my guitar with a Piggy-ish tone, and it sounded pretty right on. It's a great sample too of this thing he does in a lot of songs, there are chords that barre two or three strings and that's the whole chord, and then other chords that are on that same set of strings in that same area but a slightly different shape. He just changes chord shapes more rapidly than I normally would, and uses more interesting chord shapes, and also the most boring chord shape possible. Never realized he did that until I saw tabs
first show - last show
scott
Master of Cunnilingus
Master of Cunnilingus

Postby scott on Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:27 pm

Here's Inner Combustion btw, same site. Haven't even checked it out yet

http://www.songsterr.com/a/wsa/voivod-i ... b-s57872t0
first show - last show
scott