NOT CRAP
60%

Total votes : 25

Re: 'Polymath': James Franco

Postby BClark on Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:03 pm

dabrasha wrote:
TNR wrote:
The 10 Most James Franco Lines in James Franco’s New Novel

Billed as "an intense, wild ride into the dark heart of celebrity," James Franco’s novel Actors Anonymous—which comes out next month—is an intense, wild ride into the ego of James Franco. The book’s format ranges from essays to poetry to Wikipedia entries, and jumps between the perspectives of several actors in a fictional support group called "Actors Anonymous." Somehow Franco managed to wrangle blurbs from Gary Shteyngart, Amy Hempel, and David Shields, adding to the sense of the book as performance art. The novel is part meditation on the nature of fame, part self-back-pat—which is to say, exactly what you’d expect. For example:

1) Sometimes it is painful to be oneself; at other times it seems impossible to escape oneself.

2) I am an actor, so I can play everything. Everyone is in me, and I am a part of everyone.

3) I am Jack Nicholson and Marlon Brando and Jimmy Stewart and Jean-Paul Belmondo and Steve McQueen. I am Meryl Streep and Natalie Wood and Cate Blanchett and Marilyn Monroe.

4) I’m here to entertain you, but I don’t really care about entertaining you, know what I mean?

5) I thought about the kiss a lot, and I could feel her soul on my lips.

6) Seeking your place, that is reality. Seek your purpose and how to best fulfill it. And if your place is not amongst the people of your time, then do your work for other times, for the times to come, or do your talking with your heroes of the past.

7) Why not be your own Scorsese?

8 ) "Oh," I said, and looked at her white cheek. It made me aware of how we have skin over bones and there are different shapes underneath that are arbitrary.

9) The picture of me sleeping with my mouth open next to a bunch of attentive students says a thousand words. But it says the wrong words, or it says the words that TMZ wants it to say. It doesn’t say: This photo was taken at 10 p.m. during an optional guest lecture by William Kentridge, hosted by the graduate art school. James wasn’t even in the Columbia art department but went to their visiting artist lectures anyway, even though he was in four other graduate programs at the time and working on the film Howl and hosting Saturday Night Live, and a bunch of other things.

10) Peace,
James Franco

(vomits)
BClark
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness

Postby Riff Magnum on Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:32 pm

The adaptation of "As I lay Dying" was good. Not great, but you gotta give the guy kudos for trying. I mean it's AS I LAY DYING!!! How the fuck are you supposed to decipher any Faulkner boook and make it into anything worth watching. It's gotta be hard.
The Child of God pics i've seen look good too. He's not a great actor, but if he continues to TRY cool shit like these two movies, then i give him my respect just for that. Name another current, dreamy eyed, "pretty boy" actor that would even attempt to READ "AS i Lay Dying" let alone make it into a movie. Guys like this just can't win with guys like us.
Riff Magnum
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity

Postby enframed on Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:50 pm

I like him. He's not trying to be noticed just by hanging out drinking with whomever or bangin' this girl or that; I don't hear much about him outside of what he does for work and I like that. He may not be a great actor but he's not worse than most, either. He also makes interesting choices, eg, the Harmony Korine film. He also genuinely seems interested in art.

My wife read Palo Alto and said it wasn't awful. This new novel sounds pretty shit, though.

Not crap.
Records for sale.

Those most doomed to repeat history are those who know it best.
enframed
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby Riff Magnum on Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:03 pm

I've also seen him on Colbert or Daily Show and he seemed genuinely humble, self deprecating, and amiable. I don't get the smug, shallow, pretentious comments i'm seeing on here.
Riff Magnum

Postby Bernardo on Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:13 pm

He clearly looks too good to be respected. Maybe he was even born rich? I haven't checked.
Bernardo
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby enframed on Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:04 pm

Bernardo wrote:He clearly looks too good to be respected. Maybe he was even born rich? I haven't checked.

He is from Palo Alto, CA, so there's a good chance he grew up in comfort.
Records for sale.

Those most doomed to repeat history are those who know it best.
enframed
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby Boombats on Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:16 pm

I heard he is a gay
Escape Rope / Blxck Onion / Black Mesa
warmowski wrote:Fire back, absolutely, always and forever no matter how much it blows Andy's mind.
Boombats
Analingus Eggnog

Postby Riff Magnum on Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:17 pm

Bernardo wrote:He clearly looks too good to be respected. Maybe he was even born rich? I haven't checked.

He's an actor. It's a plus to look good when you're an actor.
He's an actor. Who gives a fuck about "street cred?"
If his acting were a little better I guess no one would care how he grew up.
Riff Magnum

Postby Bernardo on Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:07 pm

enframed wrote:

He is from Palo Alto, CA, so there's a good chance he grew up in comfort.

Things aren't looking good for the Franco C/NC right now.
Bernardo

Postby seanurban on Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:36 pm

Boombats wrote:I heard he is a gay

I thought that's what polymath was.
seanurban
King High

Postby Angus Jung on Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:40 pm

There's literally nothing to this guy. Even his handsomeness is completely bland and forgettable. He's got nothing. Absolutely nothing.

It's as if one of the better art students at a community college in Tacoma got free reign to just follow whatever half-assed bullshit artistic whim he had, and got a significant amount of notoriety and attention for it.
Angus Jung
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby Dave//Eksvplot on Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:25 am

Angus Jung wrote:There's literally nothing to this guy.

I have no opinion of James Franco, as the only thing I've seen that he was in is the first Spiderman movie Sam Raimi did and I don't remember anything about it. But if there is indeed "nothing to him" it should come as no surprise--the entertainment industry is full of people like this, particularly when it comes to actors. If you've never worked as an extra on a TV pilot or run-of-the-mill film production and unwittingly eavesdropped on the sort of conversations the "performers" have during downtime, trust me, it would bum you out. You might as well be hanging out with typical stock brokers. For some reason some people seem to dismiss plumbers and construction workers as doltish, but in my experience they're way more fun to talk to than most actors. If nothing else their jokes are a hell of a lot better and they don't harbor delusions of grandeur that far surpass the skills they possess. Many people who are trying to "make it" as actors are just complete bores. This is why encountering a genuinely interesting actor (someone who isn't like Brandon Fraser, Ben Affleck, Stanley Tucci, or Colin Ferrall) is a cool thing.
madmanmunt wrote:You think Michelangelo Antonioni popped out of the womb with Monica Vitti in one hand and the reels of L'Avventura in the other?
Dave//Eksvplot
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby Riff Magnum on Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:00 pm

Angus Jung wrote:There's literally nothing to this guy. Even his handsomeness is completely bland and forgettable. He's got nothing. Absolutely nothing.

It's as if one of the better art students at a community college in Tacoma got free reign to just follow whatever half-assed bullshit artistic whim he had, and got a significant amount of notoriety and attention for it.

Huh? Is that like horrible to you or something? That sounds like every artists dream doesn't it?
I think it goes down more like this: he started working, he took small roles, that led to bigger roles, and now he's making the most of his good fortune by (seemingly) working his ass off. Maybe he's overextending himself with these weird screen adaptations and crappy books, but i gotta admire his effort.
That's okay if you think he's got nothing. I don't think he's great, but i think there's far more hollywood types deserving of our scrutiny than this guy.

Edit: Polymath is crap. Franco isn't.
Riff Magnum

Postby The MayorofRockNRoll on Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:09 pm

Angus Jung wrote:There's literally nothing to this guy. Even his handsomeness is completely bland and forgettable.

Apparently he's no Angus Jung, that's for sure.
I am a weird recluse only here for sex.

PRF Short Fiction Challenge

The staff weren't giving me the things I needed to do my job effectively and give the kids their money's worth...it wasn't too hard considering the concert was only $5
The MayorofRockNRoll
Master of Cunnilingus
Master of Cunnilingus

Postby Riff Magnum on Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:15 pm

The MayorofRockNRoll wrote:
Angus Jung wrote:There's literally nothing to this guy. Even his handsomeness is completely bland and forgettable.

Yeah. I mean if someone's handsome, they're handsome. Obviously looks are subjective, but to say his handsomeness is bland and forgettable? I don't even know what that means. He's got a good smile and i think that's enough to "remember him by."

Jesus. I'm a 38 year old heterosexual male defending James Franco's looks on an internet message board. Time to go for a run or something. :oops:
Riff Magnum

Postby The MayorofRockNRoll on Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:18 pm

Riff Magnum wrote:
The MayorofRockNRoll wrote:

Yeah. I mean if someone's handsome, they're handsome. Obviously looks are subjective, but to say his handsomeness is bland and forgettable? I don't even know what that means. He's got a good smile and i think that's enough to "remember him by."

Jesus. I'm a 38 year old heterosexual male defending James Franco's looks on an internet message board. Time to go for a run or something. :oops:

Brah, there's no shame in admitting you'd totally be down for a no-homo manhug with James Franco. And as long as you're on the receiving end of a friendly tug it's totally not gay.

The staff weren't giving me the things I needed to do my job effectively and give the kids their money's worth...it wasn't too hard considering the concert was only $5
The MayorofRockNRoll
Master of Cunnilingus
Master of Cunnilingus

Postby Riff Magnum on Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:28 pm

I feel unburdened.
Riff Magnum

Postby The MayorofRockNRoll on Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:44 pm

Or maybe you and Franco could demonstrate best wrestling submission holds to each other. Equally hetero.

The MayorofRockNRoll
Master of Cunnilingus
Master of Cunnilingus

Postby Riff Magnum on Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:45 pm

The MayorofRockNRoll wrote:Or maybe you and Franco could demonstrate best wrestling submission holds to each other. Equally hetero.

This cross thread pollination could get dangerous.
Riff Magnum

Postby dabrasha on Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:36 pm

I’m here to entertain you, but I don’t really care about entertaining you, know what I mean?
dabrasha
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap