home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Band: Xiu Xiu

Vote and debate.

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Band: Xiu Xiu

Crap
33
38%
Not Crap
53
62%
 
Total votes : 86

Re: Band: Xiu Xiu

Postby Angus Jung on Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:50 pm

I was there, man for a few of Xiu Xiu's first shows! They were a 5-piece at the beginning. There was a woman in the band who had an assortment of cymbals/percussion that she played. Kind of gamelan-y. Wish that lineup would have stayed together longer.
Angus Jung
Present-day God
Present-day God
 
Posts: 9459
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2003 7:04 pm
Location: High Desert

Re: Band: Xiu Xiu

Postby tallchris on Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:09 pm

Angus Jung wrote:I was there, man for a few of Xiu Xiu's first shows! They were a 5-piece at the beginning. There was a woman in the band who had an assortment of cymbals/percussion that she played. Kind of gamelan-y. Wish that lineup would have stayed together longer.


I think that lineup pretty much fell apart after all their gear got stolen during one of the early Knife Play tours in Missoula.
Bass, minivan: [BRACKETS]
Guitar, vocals: BURN PERMITS
Bass, vocals: POLICE TEETH
User avatar
tallchris
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
 
Posts: 8958
Joined: Sat May 08, 2004 7:50 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: Band: Xiu Xiu

Postby cowboyhero on Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:08 pm

I like them a lot. They're like Whitehouse for gay people. Really ugly and self-loathing. Musical bulimia. Occasionally brilliant lyrics.
User avatar
cowboyhero
assistant intern
assistant intern
 
Posts: 235
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:27 am
Location: somewhere south of your neighborhood

Re: Band: Xiu Xiu

Postby SecondEdition on Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:01 pm

cowboyhero wrote:They're like Whitehouse for gay people.


They're more like a deformed hybrid of New Order and the Smiths for extreme bondage addicts. Abuse-pop.

"Don Diasco" may be the best song they've ever done.
Life...life...I know it's got its ups and downs.

In the someday, what's that sound.


CS. PC. MM.
User avatar
SecondEdition
King Shit of Fuck Mountain
 
Posts: 22448
Joined: Wed May 03, 2006 8:32 am
Location: Midwest, USA

Re: Band: Xiu Xiu

Postby Verbs & Nouns on Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:00 am

NC.

But the one live show I saw was just there.

Also, this shirt is great.

Image
Verbs & Nouns
alan's bitch
alan's bitch
 
Posts: 1012
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:23 pm
Location: Australia, South

Re: Band: Xiu Xiu

Postby SecondEdition on Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:24 pm

New album coming in February 2014. The word is that it's going to be extremely dark, even for Xiu Xiu, which I guess is actually saying something.

The new song is really good. Sounds like he's been incorporating Suicide into the deformed New Order/Smiths hybrid of their sound.

phpBB [media]
Life...life...I know it's got its ups and downs.

In the someday, what's that sound.


CS. PC. MM.
User avatar
SecondEdition
King Shit of Fuck Mountain
 
Posts: 22448
Joined: Wed May 03, 2006 8:32 am
Location: Midwest, USA

Re: Band: Xiu Xiu

Postby addley on Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:39 am

Steve V. wrote:
SecondEdition wrote:New album coming in February 2014. The word is that it's going to be extremely dark, even for Xiu Xiu, which I guess is actually saying something.

The new song is really good. Sounds like he's been incorporating Suicide into the deformed New Order/Smiths hybrid of their sound.

phpBB [media]


Awesome.


I am obsessed with this track now.
User avatar
addley
forced to change shirt
forced to change shirt
 
Posts: 1941
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:43 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Re: Band: Xiu Xiu

Postby kerble on Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:00 pm

Yeah, it's pretty good. I like it a lot more than the "singles" they've put out for the last few albums. great chorus. The 'story' behind the record makes me interested to hear the whole thing. Love the album art, too.
kerble is right.
SA | SF | FZ | SI | RD | DA | K | CP | T
User avatar
kerble
King Shit of Fuck Mountain
 
Posts: 19005
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2004 1:30 pm
Location: Heartbreaker.

Re: Band: Xiu Xiu

Postby Angus Jung on Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:24 pm

kerble wrote:The 'story' behind the record makes me interested to hear the whole thing.

Wow, he moved to a bad neighborhood. And apparently all his extremities were removed, so he couldn't move to a different one once he found out the one he was in was unsafe. Or he couldn't gain access to a dolly, perhaps. Compelling shit.
Angus Jung
Present-day God
Present-day God
 
Posts: 9459
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2003 7:04 pm
Location: High Desert

Re: Band: Xiu Xiu

Postby AnthonyVillalobos on Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:31 pm

That new single is great. Can't wait to cop the new one. I can definitely hear the Suicide influence. Some parts also remind me of Electro-Shock For President era Brainiac.

Wish I would've seen them with SWANS in LA last year.
User avatar
AnthonyVillalobos
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
 
Posts: 7234
Joined: Tue Dec 25, 2007 5:40 am
Location: Las Vegas/Los Angeles

Re: Band: Xiu Xiu

Postby kerble on Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:48 pm

Angus Jung wrote:
kerble wrote:The 'story' behind the record makes me interested to hear the whole thing.

Wow, he moved to a bad neighborhood. And apparently all his extremities were removed, so he couldn't move to a different one once he found out the one he was in was unsafe. Or he couldn't gain access to a dolly, perhaps. Compelling shit.


I thought the exact same thing, but from the standpoint of someone who doesn't know him at all, he does seem a bit dramatic, so maybe a dash of "woe is me" is kind of something that compells his songwriting in the first place. But yeah, just move, dude.
kerble is right.
SA | SF | FZ | SI | RD | DA | K | CP | T
User avatar
kerble
King Shit of Fuck Mountain
 
Posts: 19005
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2004 1:30 pm
Location: Heartbreaker.

Re: Band: Xiu Xiu

Postby Angus Jung on Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:41 pm

kerble wrote:
Angus Jung wrote:
kerble wrote:The 'story' behind the record makes me interested to hear the whole thing.

Wow, he moved to a bad neighborhood. And apparently all his extremities were removed, so he couldn't move to a different one once he found out the one he was in was unsafe. Or he couldn't gain access to a dolly, perhaps. Compelling shit.


I thought the exact same thing, but from the standpoint of someone who doesn't know him at all, he does seem a bit dramatic, so maybe a dash of "woe is me" is kind of something that compells his songwriting in the first place.

I do know him, or at least I did a long time ago.

I'm just at a point now where I find pretty much every example of this type of promotion/hype, self- or otherwise, completely silly.
Angus Jung
Present-day God
Present-day God
 
Posts: 9459
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2003 7:04 pm
Location: High Desert

Re: Band: Xiu Xiu

Postby kerble on Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:01 pm

Angus Jung wrote:I'm just at a point now where I find pretty much every example of this type of promotion/hype, self- or otherwise, completely silly.


Valid. And yeah, I agree. There's something about the narrative record that resonates with me from time to time, and this was one of them, better judgement be damned.
kerble is right.
SA | SF | FZ | SI | RD | DA | K | CP | T
User avatar
kerble
King Shit of Fuck Mountain
 
Posts: 19005
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2004 1:30 pm
Location: Heartbreaker.

Re: Band: Xiu Xiu

Postby addley on Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:38 pm

big_downer
User avatar
addley
forced to change shirt
forced to change shirt
 
Posts: 1941
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:43 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Re: Band: Xiu Xiu

Postby kerble on Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:42 pm

Twilight Sparkle wrote:big_downer



but he's so funny! salut! big_dave.
kerble is right.
SA | SF | FZ | SI | RD | DA | K | CP | T
User avatar
kerble
King Shit of Fuck Mountain
 
Posts: 19005
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2004 1:30 pm
Location: Heartbreaker.

Re: Band: Xiu Xiu

Postby Angus Jung on Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:45 pm

big_dave wrote:imagine life in that kind of place if you have to work a nightshift on telesales and/or have people to care for, you fucking Faulteroy.

It's surprising to me that Jamie wasn't more aware and sensitive as to how dumb this makes him look.
Angus Jung
Present-day God
Present-day God
 
Posts: 9459
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2003 7:04 pm
Location: High Desert

Re: Band: Xiu Xiu

Postby kerble on Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:46 pm

big_dave wrote:I won't rest until I post.



would not enjoy a writing style called "post-post".
kerble is right.
SA | SF | FZ | SI | RD | DA | K | CP | T
User avatar
kerble
King Shit of Fuck Mountain
 
Posts: 19005
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2004 1:30 pm
Location: Heartbreaker.

Re: Band: Xiu Xiu

Postby RSMurphy on Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:48 pm

thread needs more objectification

Image
WHALES CHICAGO USA THE MUSIC OF SOUND BANDACMP EP NOISEPOP

LTD. EDITION VINYL COPIES OF SIZE AND SCALE

Trey wrote:I think Randy is great.

Surfrider wrote:Come on Randy! You can do it!!
RSMurphy
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer
 
Posts: 10162
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 6:52 pm
Location: Chicago

Re: Band: Xiu Xiu

Postby kerble on Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:54 pm

RSMurphy wrote:thread needs more objectification



xiu xiu wrote:5. Black Dick 3:43
kerble is right.
SA | SF | FZ | SI | RD | DA | K | CP | T
User avatar
kerble
King Shit of Fuck Mountain
 
Posts: 19005
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2004 1:30 pm
Location: Heartbreaker.

Re: Band: Xiu Xiu

Postby AnthonyCinder on Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:36 pm

When it sounded a little like Suicide at the very beginning, that was cool.

But then when the vocals came in, I just felt like I was in an episode of Image

"Velcome to Sprockets . . . and now we dance."

And then I just wanted it to go away.
How come when it's us, it's an abortion, and when it's a chicken, it's an omelette? - George Carlin

https://cindercone.bandcamp.com/
User avatar
AnthonyCinder
Leader with Extraordinary Personality
Leader with Extraordinary Personality
 
Posts: 2792
Joined: Mon May 17, 2010 3:01 pm
Location: skull

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: mrcancelled, screamindrew and 18 guests