Countries: New Zealand

Choice!
89%
Stink!
11%

Total votes : 36

Re: Countries: New Zealand

Postby Anthony Flack on Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:49 pm

I think it's fucking moronic, and almost comically desperate that they would resort to recording among all the carnage in Egypt in order to try to regain some sort of "edge". It was probably just one of Jaz Coleman's lunatic ideas.

Shihad are still bitter that they never got to become the next Limp Bizkit.
Anthony Flack
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby Gramsci on Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:50 pm

It turns out it was Coleman's crazy idea, and one the was cancelled a month ago, the press were even told but ran the story anyway.

Actually after seeing the Shihad doc I kind of felt sorry for them. Most of the film is Karl and Tom apologising for that horrid Pacifier record and laying into Jon.

They've had a long carrier for a NZ band, Churn, and Killjoy especially are solid gold. Most of the rest isn't really worth a damn.
clocker bob may 30, 2006 wrote:I think the possibility of interbreeding between an earthly species and an extraterrestrial species is as believable as any other explanation for the existence of George W. Bush.
Gramsci
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby wellbutrin on Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:39 pm

I'll derail the political turn this thread took for a sec. I just spent 10 days in NZ visiting our good friends that moved there from Chicago about a year ago. We landed in Auckland, spent a night there then drove to Wellington hitting Matamata, Rotorua, Lake Taupo (stayed the night), Patea, and Palmerston North (stayed the night). Haven't really processed it yet but my initial thoughts were that it's a beautiful country with genuinely nice people as a rule. Seeing it by car is the way to go. We took tons of little side trips to hike mountains, eat/drink weird random shit, soak in a geothermal spa, see geysers and museums and generally not care what time it was. A few quick observations.

-The food, beer and wine scene was in-fucking-credible though outrageously expensive.
-People do all kinds of shit barefoot, including grocery shop
-You can call someone a cunt and it's cool (I did not try this)
-Every little mom and pop piece of shit restaurant/diner has amazing coffee and dessert (long espresso, banoffee)
-People deliver pizzas in BMWs not wearing a shirt (Palmy)
-There are signs in tourist-y areas aimed (allegedly) at the Chinese not to spit on the ground, which apparently has become a habit for them (understandably) because of the pollution in China.
-The dudes are mostly hot and the chicks are mostly....somewhat undesireable.

I'll post pics once I organize them for those who care. But yeah, you should go there.
wellbutrin
tommy vercetti
tommy vercetti

Postby Gramsci on Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:06 pm

wellbutrin wrote:-The food, beer and wine scene was in-fucking-credible though outrageously expensive.
-People do all kinds of shit barefoot, including grocery shop
-Every little mom and pop piece of shit restaurant/diner has amazing coffee and dessert (long espresso, banoffee)
-People deliver pizzas in BMWs not wearing a shirt (Palmy)
-There are signs in tourist-y areas aimed (allegedly) at the Chinese not to spit on the ground, which apparently has become a habit for them (understandably) because of the pollution in China.
-The dudes are mostly hot and the chicks are mostly....somewhat undesireable.

Awesome list!

I have to say NZ is outrageously expensive and we men folk seem to have hit paydirt but our women... I really have no idea how that happened.

I'm married to a Brazilian for a reason. She actually said exactly the same thing, that the guys looked "healthy" and the women looked... "like farm hands". I've also met a few Brazilians here that have been to NZ and were equally less than impressed with aesthetic qualities of our woman folk...

I blame the Scots and Irish.
clocker bob may 30, 2006 wrote:I think the possibility of interbreeding between an earthly species and an extraterrestrial species is as believable as any other explanation for the existence of George W. Bush.
Gramsci
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby Anthony Flack on Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:35 pm

New Zealand women are not ornaments. They will fix an engine or dig a trench or be the drummer in your band. They are like lesbians. I think it's great. Maybe it means we're, I dunno, less patriarchal or something?

I agree that everything's too stupid expensive now. Our agricultural products are too good, and people overseas are willing to pay too much for them. Sucks, because wages here are not particularly high.

I think you must have got very lucky with your coffee because 95% of cafes can't make a fucking espresso to save themselves, I reckon. They all think they can, though.

The North Island is pleasant enough to drive through. The South Island is absolutely outstanding.
Anthony Flack
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby newberry on Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:44 am

I'll be in Wellington near the end of this month, if anyone knows of interesting stuff going on (music or otherwise).
newberry
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby Gramsci on Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:31 am

newberry wrote:I'll be in Wellington near the end of this month, if anyone knows of interesting stuff going on (music or otherwise).

Go here:

http://slowboatrecords.co.nz ask for Jeremy - Jezza - and tell him Dishboy - Craig -sent you. He will hook you up with everything you need in terms of music and food. He's a super nice guy, runs the best record store in NZ, is a musician and a food critic for the local newspaper.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/blogs/the-omnivore

And it is New Zealand, so you really can wander up to a total stranger and ask for help (that is as long as the current government hasn't abolish being nice).

You are now completely sorted.
Gramsci
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby madmanmunt on Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:53 pm

Anthony Flack wrote:New Zealand women are not ornaments. They will fix an engine or dig a trench or be the drummer in your band. They are like lesbians. I think it's great.

Would not hire this guy for a position with the NZ tourist board.
Book of Leo, Chapter 19 Verse 46 wrote:The man thought that he knew the glory and the wrath wrought of the Stratocaster, but lo! He was corrected.

Let them measure my anus and see if it is dilated.
madmanmunt
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby Zorg on Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:40 pm

madmanmunt wrote:Would not hire this guy for a position with the NZ tourist board.

Zorg
has seen it all
has seen it all

Postby Gramsci on Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:27 pm

madmanmunt wrote:
Anthony Flack wrote:New Zealand women are not ornaments. They will fix an engine or dig a trench or be the drummer in your band. They are like lesbians. I think it's great.

If you like your women, manly New Zealand's your kind of town.
Gramsci
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby skewer on Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:53 pm

Gramsci wrote:
newberry wrote:I'll be in Wellington near the end of this month, if anyone knows of interesting stuff going on (music or otherwise).

Go here:

http://slowboatrecords.co.nz ask for Jeremy - Jezza - and tell him Dishboy - Craig -sent you. He will hook you up with everything you need in terms of music and food. He's a super nice guy, runs the best record store in NZ, is a musician and a food critic for the local newspaper.

This is good advice (particularly food, coffee, and where to find it). I will definitely be paying a visit to Slowboat (I'm heading to NZ later on this month) and hope to go along to one of the regular lunch dates Jez and pals seem to go on day in, day out.

Ask FM The Canadian for the most up to date craft beer advice seeing as he was just there, drinking it all up.
skewer
fletcher rabbit
fletcher rabbit

Postby Anthony Flack on Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:14 pm

Gramsci wrote:
madmanmunt wrote:

If you like your women manly New Zealand's your kind of town.

Absolutely. It's more Raiders of the Lost Ark, less Temple of Doom.

Skewer, you're coming to town soon?
Anthony Flack
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby newberry on Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:21 pm

Gramsci wrote:

Go here:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/blogs/the-omnivore

And it is New Zealand, so you really can wander up to a total stranger and ask for help (that is as long as the current government hasn't abolish being nice).

You are now completely sorted.

Thanks!
newberry

Postby skewer on Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:27 pm

Anthony Flack wrote:
Skewer, you're coming to town soon?

Yep, I should be floating around sometime about the 25th. Got some family from the States over so having party/wine time etc. I'll be doing some visiting so I hope to catch up with you and the gang - sip some beer, splash in the water
skewer
fletcher rabbit
fletcher rabbit

Postby Anthony Flack on Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:33 pm

I'm not on Facebook so I sometimes miss people passing through... didn't see you last time; I think we are due, sir.
Anthony Flack
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby B_M_L on Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:29 am

wellbutrin wrote:-People do all kinds of shit barefoot, including grocery shop

Very funny. My girlfriend still complains because I don't like wearing shoes and she finds it embarrassing when I drive the car / shop / visit friends without footwear. Britishers... so uptight about their feet.

And the 'cunt' thing is weird. It is common in NZ to use it in a joking / friendly way. As a tourist I'd still avoid using it though.
B_M_L
Leader with Extraordinary Personality
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Postby madmanmunt on Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:59 am

B_M_L wrote:
wellbutrin wrote:-People do all kinds of shit barefoot, including grocery shop

Very funny. My girlfriend still complains because I don't like wearing shoes and she finds it embarrassing when I drive the car / shop / visit friends without footwear. Britishers... so uptight about their feet.

Now I understand those LotR/Hobbit movies: NZ barefoot propaganda!
Book of Leo, Chapter 19 Verse 46 wrote:The man thought that he knew the glory and the wrath wrought of the Stratocaster, but lo! He was corrected.

Let them measure my anus and see if it is dilated.
madmanmunt
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby brisket on Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:04 am

In defence of our women: I think they're just as beautiful as women from anywhere else, but there's no expectation to wear scads of makeup all day every day. I kinda like that. My gf is one of the most beautiful women in the world, and she never bothers. Might put on some goth eyeliner for laffs once in a while, but that's it.

I never wore shoes til I went to high school and had to wear them as part of the uniform. I owned shoes, but refused to wear them unless it was a special occasion like going to a restaurant or the movies. Very occasionally it's useful being able to walk across sharp gravel etc without shoes on.
brisket
johnny moss
johnny moss

Postby Gramsci on Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:55 am

This is the National Brazilian women's Rugby team

... and the New Zealand

Gramsci
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby Anthony Flack on Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:08 am

I think I remember something about a survey that was done some time ago, regarding people's attitudes about appearance. And Brazil was top of the world in people agreeing with the statement "if you're not good-looking, you're worthless". I'm not sure that's altogether a good thing.

As for the rugby teams, which team would you bet on?
Anthony Flack
Present-day God
Present-day God

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap