Band : Megadeth

Crap
43%
Not Crap
57%

Total votes : 88

Re: band : Megadeth

Postby morespaceecho on Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:44 pm

a bunch of the riffs on that one are just completely bonkers. i don't think anyone else ever really wrote riffs like that.

it sounds like it was recorded in a tin can though. actually all of their records except peace sells sound pretty bad. rust in peace is a good record but i hate the way it sounds, so flat and not rocking.

i think the original lineup was pretty amazing. gar samuelson and chris poland added a lot...they both played with a lot more finesse than yer average thrasher.

i remember getting symphony of destruction right when it came out and being so disappointed. didn't that and the black album come out right around the same time? those were tough times...
morespaceecho
mike piazza
mike piazza

Postby Marsupialized on Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:08 pm

He released completely remixed and even re-recorded in some parts, editions of all the records up to Rust a few years ago. Killing's my business is the only one I thought sounded way better, I always hated it because it sounded so horrible, but the remixed one, I actually realized it was a really good thrash record. The only bad thing is that they threw a censored version of 'These Boots' on it, with BEEEEPS over half the lyrics for some reason, assuming some Christ based moment of muddled thinking.

That's the cover of the remixed version, highly recommended.

phpBB [media]
Marsupialized
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Location: Chicago, over by Grand and Halsted. Fulton River district, I guess?

Postby prowler on Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:48 pm

Marsupialized wrote:He released completely remixed and even re-recorded in some parts, editions of all the records up to Rust a few years ago.

nope, they went up to Cryptic Writings

i like the SFSGSW new mix too, the original is way too buried in reverb
prowler
meatball enthusiast
meatball enthusiast

Postby Boombats on Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:58 pm

Braden wrote:Image
Escape Rope / Blxck Onion / Black Mesa
warmowski wrote:Fire back, absolutely, always and forever no matter how much it blows Andy's mind.
Boombats
Analingus Eggnog

Postby Marsupialized on Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:19 pm

prowler wrote:
Marsupialized wrote:He released completely remixed and even re-recorded in some parts, editions of all the records up to Rust a few years ago.

nope, they went up to Cryptic Writings

i like the SFSGSW new mix too, the original is way too buried in reverb

I meant that anyone would ever give a fuck about, I know it was like 8 albums he did but who's listening to those shitty hard rock records after Rust?

Yeah the So Far is decent too, but it was nowhere near as fucked to begin with, the Killing's my business is like night and day
Marsupialized

Postby prowler on Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:25 am

haha symphony orchestras must really be desperate

Dave Mustaine To Perform With San Diego Symphony - Update

Dave Mustaine will be a featured soloist with the San Diego Symphony in April, 2014. The classical special concert, billed as "Symphony Interrupted" will take place at Copley Symphony Hall in San Diego, California on Saturday, April 12, 2014 @ 8:00 p.m. Ticket are on sale now at http://www.sandiegosymphony.org/calendar/view.aspx?id=3944.

In this truly unique concert event, master guitarist Dave Mustaine of the thrash-metal pioneers Megadeth brings his crunchy and energetic sensibility to the great works of classical music which have inspired him over the course of his Grammy-nominated, multi platinum-selling career. When Dave Mustaine performs the virtuosic "Summer" and "Winter" movements from Vivaldi’s The Four Seasons, and Bach’s classic "Air" on the G string, you will see a truly different side of "metal". The San Diego Symphony will then wow you in the second half of the program with Antonín Dvořák's famous New World Symphony. Following the Dvorak will be Richard Wagner's "Ride of the Valkyries", and who knows… someone might just feel inclined to walk back on stage to rejoin the members of the San Diego Symphony in an encore performance where heavy-metallic sparks are sure to fly!

On speaking with Dave, he confirmed that he and conductor Ken-David Masur are considering adding a solo over "Ride of the Valkyries".
prowler
meatball enthusiast
meatball enthusiast

Postby Bernardo on Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:27 am

prowler wrote:
In this truly unique concert event, master guitarist Dave Mustaine of the thrash-metal pioneers Megadeth brings his crunchy and energetic sensibility to the great works of classical music which have inspired him over the course of his Grammy-nominated, multi platinum-selling career.

A beautiful sentence.
Bernardo
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby prowler on Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:15 am

haha yeah i always thought classical music needs a bit more crunch
prowler
meatball enthusiast
meatball enthusiast

Postby morespaceecho on Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:44 pm

certainly it will benefit from dave's tasteful and carefully considered approach to guitar solos.
morespaceecho
mike piazza
mike piazza

Postby madmanmunt on Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:10 pm

crunchy and energetic sensibility

This is what I seek in a chocolate bar.

What's in Dave's Megabar?

I bet it's just a rebranded Crunchie.

Book of Leo, Chapter 19 Verse 46 wrote:The man thought that he knew the glory and the wrath wrought of the Stratocaster, but lo! He was corrected.

Let them measure my anus and see if it is dilated.
madmanmunt
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby Adam Sr on Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:12 pm

Adam Sr
Leader with Extraordinary Personality
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Postby Marsupialized on Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:15 pm

phpBB [media]
Marsupialized

Postby prowler on Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:39 am

in his autobiog Mustaine says the writer of the original hated the Megadeth version - interestingly, he spoke out 10 years after the release. the guy complained about Dave changing some of the lyrics (like "something you call love but i call sex").
so with the remaster Dave decided to bleep out all the original lyrics and keep only his changed words, so they wouldn't have to pay the writer guy anything.

of course what actually happened is the opposite - Dave's words are the ones bleeped out - which goes to show how shredded his brain is nowadays :D

an even worse crime I would say is he redid the MD45 album with his own vocals, supposedly to make it sell more to Megadeth fans. fucking stupid, i really liked Lee Ving's vocals on this one
prowler
meatball enthusiast
meatball enthusiast

Postby lebkuchen on Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:22 pm

Menza, Ellefson and Friedman playing Five Magics during setup or soundcheck or whatever this is.
A good one for all the fanboys on this board:

phpBB [media]

Man, they can play. Also I feel old now.
lebkuchen
inman jackson
inman jackson

Postby emmanuelle cunt on Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:21 am

That was really cool, possibly first piece of Megadeth music I liked.
caix wrote:^ more like "a manual vagina."
emmanuelle cunt

Postby scott on Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:15 am

Steve V. wrote:
lebkuchen wrote:Man, they can play. Also I feel old now.

Of the Big Four, Megadeth is the most consistent technically.

Kirk Hammett could be upstaged by any bar band lifer, King/Hanneman trade off great but completely chaotic by-the-numbers solos, and Anthrax sucks. The Friedman/Mustaine-era Megadeth records are technically incredible.

I am shocked by how wrong you are about everything you assert here, except that the band with Friedman in it is "technically incredible"-- still wrong in that it really isn't incredible at all, since it's exactly what you would expect from Friedman. But yeah, right around "Anthrax sucks" you had established that you're not to be taken seriously on the subject of thrash bands
May the wings of Liberty never lose a feather
first show - last show
scott
Master of Cunnilingus
Master of Cunnilingus

Postby morespaceecho on Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:38 pm

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

hammett hasn't played a good solo since 1986. hannemann and king never played any good solos, and slayer, for the most part, are dumb and boring. scott ian and charlie benante are a formidable team, but they were at their best by far on the SOD record, which is orders of magnitude more entertaining than anything anthrax ever did.
morespaceecho
mike piazza
mike piazza

Postby lebkuchen on Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:34 pm

Steve V. wrote:Anthrax sucks.

I was never really into their music, but I can think of a few songs that I find really cool.
Well, I've seen one of their shows on a big festival last year. Been doing sound for a band who played the day before, and we all decided to stay another night. I was just talking a walk on the festival ground when (to my surprise) Anthrax started their set. Man, they were solid.

scott wrote:...the band with Friedman in it is "technically incredible"-- still wrong in that it really isn't incredible at all, since it's exactly what you would expect from Friedman.

I don't understand that. One can't say Megadeth are good, because they are good? Oh well, maybe it's not important at all, but I've been thinking about that statement for like 5 minutes, and still I don't get it.

I try to polish up my lead guitar skills at the moment, want to record some metal stuff in the near future. So instead of just noodling around as fast as I can, I thought I should teach myself how to play the solos on Hangar 18. I just started working on that - they are technically incredible, not just the solos.
I highly doubt that I'll ever be able to play the lead stuff in a convincing way.
lebkuchen
inman jackson
inman jackson

Postby Bernardo on Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:34 pm

Technique is as bad a yardstick to judge metal by as it is for any other type of music.
Bernardo

Postby Anthony Flack on Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:54 am

Anthrax are terrible songwriters. Technique is about all they've got.
Anthony Flack
Present-day God
Present-day God

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap