Awesome?

Yah
100%
Nah
No votes

Total votes : 12

Place: Portland, Maine

Postby WeStartToDrift on Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:33 pm

So it looks like the girlfriend and I are leaving the seasonal racket after this summer and we might be moving to Portland, Maine. My dad used to teach at Bowdoin before I was born, so we used to visit a lot when I was a kid. I remember it being an artsy place and there was an amazing guitar store, but whats the place like these days? I'm planning on getting back into playing music, so what is the scene like?
WeStartToDrift
hindu
hindu

Re: Place: Portland, Maine

Postby Anchor on Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:00 am

My wife and I rented a place near there for a week this coming August, so I am looking forward to seeing what comes up in this thread.
Anchor
homestar
homestar

Postby cuttheshitmike on Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:03 am

Hey, I live here. There are some good bands. Some decent food. I feel like the music scene is hurting these days a little from a lack of good DIY and all ages venues, but there are a couple OK bars to play at and some houses and spaces that throw occasional shows. The winters are long and lately I feel like this town is killing me a little bit, but a lot of people seem to really dig it. You'll get along best if you make decent money. Public transportation is shit, and for all the hype our restaurant scene gets, there's not much in the way of cheap, available, basic food, it's all yuppie fusion joints and such.

Here's some compilations I've recorded of some local bands, not all of which are active these days:

http://cuttheshit.bandcamp.com/

I'm gonna vote not crap even though I've been pretty burned out on it lately... that's probably mostly a personal issue.

edit: the winters are looooong.... but i just noticed you're the antarctica guy so I guess that's probably not a deal breaker.
cuttheshitmike
baboon
baboon

Postby Incandenza on Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:39 pm

As soon as my wife finishes school we're moving there. NC.
Incandenza
puggy pearson
puggy pearson

Postby stewie on Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:59 pm

Fantastic beer in Portland, if you're into that thing. Allagash, Oxbow, Rising Tide, MBC, Marshall Wharf and distribution of out of state beers from places that other New Englanders don't get. Plus great beer bars like Novare Res and the like. I travel up there a lot for beer stuff fairly frequently.

Has a good vibe, unless it's 2am on a summer Saturday night downtown and all the drunken bros have been shoved out of bars and they realize there's nowhere downtown to go clubbing, so they start turning into megabros.
stewie
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby STF on Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:07 pm

I live here. It's not crap. Portland is like a cool neighborhood in a bigger city.
STF
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity

Postby eephour on Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:36 pm

I have a love/hate thing with Portland. I went to college about three hours away and would visit fairly often. Then,I found it to be incestuous musically. I thought all the bands were just burned out sous chefs and line cooks playing the same old shitty metal to the same crowds in same clubs. But I was 22, what did I know?

Turns out the Portland is pretty great. I've gone back a few times since then and enjoyed every visit, even if it was just for a day or two. Its a super young town, food and drink is pretty good, you've got the waterfront, and there is always great records to be found. The local radio station rocks.

Winters are harsh and you will almost always loose a little part of your mind. But with a good group of friends you'll be fine.

I actually think I might come up to see Breadcrumb Trail at Space in a few weeks.
eephour
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge

Postby Dave N. on Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:39 pm

CUSS lives there. You can't lose.
Dave N.
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture

Postby landspeednyc on Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:23 pm

Spent my first 18 years there, love going back, wish I could go more often, etc.- but can't see living there again anytime soon. Take that with a grain of salt: the longer I live in NY, the more cities shift from my "I could live there" list to my "I like to visit, but could never live there" list (hello, Austin! Minneapolis!)

That said, I'm glad that Portland is getting recognized for having a lot more going on (food-wise, and more) than it used to, and a lot of people seem to be moving there to do cool stuff.

Music-wise: Historically (in my opinion), Portland has been pretty jam-bandy/roots rocky as a dominant musical genre. Will defer to the locals on the music-related "community" now- don't think I've heard a Maine band since car/lincolnville broke up...
http://www.allmusic.com/artist/lincolnv ... /biography

Geno's is still kicking, the Skinny is long gone, but Space has been holding court for a while, the State has been resurrected (twice?) and is now a Bowery Presents venue (for better or worse).
landspeednyc
dock ellis
dock ellis

Postby cuttheshitmike on Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:29 pm

The mainstream here is still pretty boring, but I think the music scene has gotten more interesting in the last few years. The main problem I've seen is that the ratio of musicians-to-fans is really low. There's a lot of cool people making music, but not the crowds to support it. This leads to a lot of really talented people getting burned out on playing in town. That said, it seems people are getting hip to the fact that it might be better to play less often and put on better shows, but even then if your show is on the wrong night or competing with another show you might play to a mostly empty room.

I ran/run a music video blog also (it's been pretty dead lately but I'm not calling it quits entirely) if you want to scope that out too. Gives a good idea of artists/venues/etc:

http://brasscankles.tumblr.com
cuttheshitmike
baboon
baboon

Postby cuttheshitmike on Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:31 pm

eephour wrote:I actually think I might come up to see Breadcrumb Trail at Space in a few weeks.

I'll be there!
cuttheshitmike
baboon
baboon

Postby STF on Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:22 pm

eephour wrote:I actually think I might come up to see Breadcrumb Trail at Space in a few weeks.

All the cool people in Portland will be there.
STF

Postby WeStartToDrift on Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:05 pm

What's South Portland like these days? We are looking at places around there. Also, practice spaces?
WeStartToDrift
hindu
hindu

Postby cuttheshitmike on Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:30 pm

there's some cool stuff happening in that area across the casco bay bridge (which is also close to town)... scratch bakery, a newish Bull Moose Music, etc. Mostly restaurants and retail, though. There's not much of a night life in SoPo, I think everyone heads into town. There are a few practice spaces over by the big gas tanks, but there's a real shortage around these parts. My practice space is getting torn down because of the Thompson's point development and supposedly they're going to build some really nice ones as part of the development, but that's a ways down the line and who knows if the developers can be trusted. There are some shared spaces in bayside and there's a place on warren ave where spots open up fairly regularly. I'm looking to find a good spot to do recording (I have kind of a DIY portable studio), but right now I'm just using a spare room in my friend's apartment.

edit: price-wise, though, I think sopo is a good place to live and everything is pretty close here. I like to walk into town but sopo, westbrook, scarborough, gorham, falmouth, etc are all ten minutes from downtown by car.
cuttheshitmike
baboon
baboon

Postby landspeednyc on Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:47 pm

landspeednyc wrote:Geno's is still kicking, the Skinny is long gone, but Space has been holding court for a while, the State has been resurrected (twice?) and is now a Bowery Presents venue (for better or worse).

More history on venues past, from 2003.

Rock archival
As Geno's turns 20, a look back at the Portland clubs that were

http://www.portlandphoenix.com/music/be ... 769220.asp
landspeednyc
dock ellis
dock ellis

Postby LBx on Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:28 pm

An acquaintance of mine has a record shop there I hope to visit this summer. Kind of en route to a few other places I'd like to hit in the same swoop. Would be fun to hook up with some other forum peeps if it comes together...

No vote! Yet!
LBx
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby landspeednyc on Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:09 pm

Sebastian Bach votes "not crap"

This is a real picture. Taken just seconds ago. I am lucky to be alive. I am lucky to be able to travel to such cool places and meet so many cool people. I am lucky to be able to sing music for people and see that it makes them happy. Portland Maine, what a beautiful place. Rock N' Roll. What a beautiful life

https://www.facebook.com/sebastianbach/ ... eam_ref=10
landspeednyc
dock ellis
dock ellis

Postby WeStartToDrift on Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:07 pm

landspeednyc wrote:Image

Sebastian Bach votes "not crap"

This is a real picture. Taken just seconds ago. I am lucky to be alive. I am lucky to be able to travel to such cool places and meet so many cool people. I am lucky to be able to sing music for people and see that it makes them happy. Portland Maine, what a beautiful place. Rock N' Roll. What a beautiful life

https://www.facebook.com/sebastianbach/ ... eam_ref=10

Well, clearly this just made my decision for me.
WeStartToDrift
hindu
hindu

Postby Boombats on Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:16 pm

Why is Rutger Hauer in a wig?

I enjoyed Portland every time I was there. Not Crap.
Escape Rope / Blxck Onion / Black Mesa
warmowski wrote:Fire back, absolutely, always and forever no matter how much it blows Andy's mind.
Boombats
Analingus Eggnog

Postby Robot McGearman on Sat May 03, 2014 9:51 pm

Was just there today. There's a bar there called Novare Res that has a good selection of beers.

Portland, you are not crap.
Robot McGearman
rose royce
rose royce

Next

Return to Crap / Not Crap