well?

Primus
46%
Rush
54%

Total votes : 52

THUNDERDOME: Primus vs Rush

Postby Bernardo on Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:53 pm

Primus for me. Early on they did strike a balance between the silliness and good musical ideas, it was mostly gone by the third studio record, but it still counts for something.
Bernardo
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Re: THUNDERDOME: Primus vs Rush

Postby Dave N. on Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:12 pm

Rush. I never warmed up to Primus, no pun intended.
Dave N.
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture

Postby jimmy two hands on Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:20 pm

Primus "sucks".
Rush sucks.
banjo.comics.pigfuck.stoner metal.rock operas.

AudioTruth wrote:Everything I buy from other brands break after a couple years, this is because they are only interested in making money. I'm only interested in long-lasting eargasms.
jimmy two hands
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby placeholder on Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:33 pm

Both are horrible, but Primus is worse.

Rush at least have some good synth sounds here and there. Primus just play fussy joke music.
placeholder
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby M.H on Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:47 pm

Love Primus up to and including Pork Soda (which might just be my favourite, that or Frizzle Fry). They seem like genuine weirdoes who developed their own unique musical voice and succeeded doing their own thing. I have a massive soft spot for nice oddballs doing well.

I think a lot of criticism levelled at them is often a tad harsh: true, the goofiness is a big part of the whole package, but it really only effects the least important parts of a functioning rock band (eg: aesthetics and lyrics), and it’s not like I can think of a more suitable alternative. Very easy for me to tune all that out. Claypool is a monster musician, all the B.S about 80’s slap bass and funkee-honkee-phobia is totally misplaced: all those funk metal clowns play with a nervous snappiness, like they’re playing on elastic bands, while Les plays with this super heavy flexibility, like he’s moulding liquid cement

They lost me when they headed in a more jam band / traditional prog direction, but c’est le vie.

Rush, man, I have tried so many times with so many records, and it seems the obnoxiousness is just baked into the root of everything they do musically, especially Peart’s contributions. They are much more interesting than I gave them credit for as a teenager, but they’re just too much hard work for me to get any enjoyment out of.

Primus gets my vote.
M.H
cmdr. william adama
cmdr. william adama

Postby MattMaxVan on Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:59 pm

This was tough. I really hate both a lot. Finally, I had to give the nod to Rush because their fans annoy me less.
JAFO
MattMaxVan
total piece of shit
total piece of shit

Postby Sock OR Muffin? on Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:21 pm

Back in '91 I saw Primus open for Rush!

They seem like genuine weirdoes who developed their own unique musical voice and succeeded doing their own thing. I have a massive soft spot for nice oddballs doing well.

Agreed but I never got past Sailing the Seas...

Whereas I could pick up almost any Rush album and enjoy most of the songs from their debut until a few of the most recent. Haters gonna hate.
RUSH
Anthony Flack wrote:In fact it was Jimmy Saville who first introduced Cream to The Small Faces.
Sock OR Muffin?
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness

Postby Dave//Eksvplot on Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:34 pm

I actually liked Primus at one point in my life, to the extent that I owned an album or two and went to go see them on the Milwaukee stop of "The Tales from the Punchbowl" tour. (Feel free to lord this over me if I ever become "successful" and "too cool for school" or whathaveyou.) There was a colored moodiness to their live presentation that gave their music more depth than the albums and music videos might have anticipated. It was a decent set....for kids. But now, as a dude in his mid-thirties, I can't imagine listening to Primus unironically for very long before turning it off. I'm sorry, plain and simple, they're one of the dorkiest bands of all time. Yes, even dorkier than Rush, and that's saying something.

Rush, I never so much as flirted with their music, even during my guitar obsession phase in 8th grade/freshman year, when I owned horrendous albums by the likes of Gary Hoey and Steve Vai because I still had a misguided and wildly uneven sense of what "good guitar playing" was. About the only positive thing I can say about Rush, from a strictly musical standpoint, is that I once heard a song of theirs that had a riff and timing/structure that seemed like it could have been an influence on "X Off Days" by The New Year. Does anyone know what I'm talking about? Is this blasphemy? I'm not intimately familiar with their back catalog, but hearing songs of theirs here and there over the years I don't want to be.

This is a fine poll in that both bands are evenly matched, musically.

Am not voting yet.
madmanmunt wrote:You think Michelangelo Antonioni popped out of the womb with Monica Vitti in one hand and the reels of L'Avventura in the other?
Dave//Eksvplot
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby 154 on Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:49 pm

I probably liked Frizzle Fry more at the time, but Rush has held up better. Which isn't saying much!

Postby jeff_fox on Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:55 pm

I was Primus superfan in 9th and 10th grade. Their mosh pits are insane for some reason.
Rush.
zom-zom wrote:Posterior means butt.
Gay Name|Hungry Man|MegaMaul|Blank Banker
jeff_fox

Postby jbar on Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:40 pm

Wait... You guys all hate Rush? Well, fuck.
jbar
chapman stick
chapman stick

Postby jimmy two hands on Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:54 pm

Actually I don't hate Rush, in fact I like a few of their songs and Geddy's voice is less annoying than Les'. I just don't particularly care for Rush, and I unapologetically love Primus.
banjo.comics.pigfuck.stoner metal.rock operas.

AudioTruth wrote:Everything I buy from other brands break after a couple years, this is because they are only interested in making money. I'm only interested in long-lasting eargasms.
jimmy two hands

Postby AnthonyVillalobos on Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:11 pm

placeholder wrote:Both are horrible, but Primus is worse.

Rush at least have some good synth sounds here and there. Primus just play fussy joke music.

+1
AnthonyVillalobos

Postby Gramsci on Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:14 pm

I tried Rush recently, the only thing memorable was cheesy 80s keyboards,

Primus.
clocker bob may 30, 2006 wrote:I think the possibility of interbreeding between an earthly species and an extraterrestrial species is as believable as any other explanation for the existence of George W. Bush.
Gramsci
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby Anthony Flack on Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:26 pm

Never liked any of Rush's music at all. I liked the first two or three Primus albums (even though both of the first two albums open with a Rush riff), and I still think they hold up.

Yeah, Les' singing is annoying, and Tim Alexander has too many doodads and splash cymbals on his drumkit, and they lost me pretty early on since I think everything good that Primus ever wrote was actually from the early incarnation of the band with Todd Huth on guitar (the lineup which would later reappear as Sausage). It's really Sausage that I liked, I guess. Huth and Claypool wrote some cool riffs together.

I have no problem with Les Claypool's bass playing from that time. It's not even all that slappy; it's not like he's the dude from the Spin Doctors. I think the most notable feature of his playing at that time was all the power chords. He was basically playing metal riffs on the bass. Before all the banjos and string bass and inability to write good songs with the new lineup, their music was chugging and heavy and not fussy at all.

One of these days I fully intend to play a one-off set of Suck On This/Frizzle Fry material.
Anthony Flack
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby Boombats on Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:04 pm

placeholder wrote:Rush at least have some good synth sounds here and there.

This is one of the shittiest reasons to pick a band that I have ever read. "At least Scorpions had good drumsticks." "Hey at least White Lion had good roadies." "2 Live Crew had awesome mic cables"

Primus at their prime had an essence of punk, and were great slam dance/skate rock. Some of their songs were and remain truly pure in their originality and fun factor. Once it became The Les Show it went downhill, but hey Bad Brains only have 1 1/2 good records and they get a pass.

Rush managed to put some cool parts in some dooftastic songs. They seem like decent dudes but I have never wanted to own their music. YYZ is the only song that is good from start to finish (well mostly), partly because there is no damn screeching about elves.

jimmy two hands wrote:Primus "sucks".
Rush sucks.

+1.
Escape Rope / Blxck Onion / Black Mesa
warmowski wrote:Fire back, absolutely, always and forever no matter how much it blows Andy's mind.
Boombats
Analingus Eggnog

Postby placeholder on Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:14 pm

Boombats wrote:

This is one of the shittiest reasons to pick a band that I have ever read. "At least Scorpions had good drumsticks." "Hey at least White Lion had good roadies." "2 Live Crew had awesome mic cables"

Well, I'm not exactly going to bat for Rush. They just made a handful of musical decisions that make me hate them less than I do Primus. And it should go without saying that synth sounds are a component of the actual music, unlike the things you named. My stated opinions of these bands are based on their music.

If I'd said that Primus occasionally picked good cover songs (which they inevitably butchered), that'd be closer to what you're talking about. Or that the one Primus drummer did good work in Godflesh.
placeholder

Postby madmanmunt on Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:16 pm

jbar wrote:Wait... You guys all hate Rush? Well, fuck.

I hate Rush!
Book of Leo, Chapter 19 Verse 46 wrote:The man thought that he knew the glory and the wrath wrought of the Stratocaster, but lo! He was corrected.

Let them measure my anus and see if it is dilated.
madmanmunt
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby Boombats on Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:51 pm

placeholder wrote:
Boombats wrote:

Well, I'm not exactly going to bat for Rush. They just made a handful of musical decisions that make me hate them less than I do Primus. And it should go without saying that synth sounds are a component of the actual music, unlike the things you named.

All the things I mentioned are components. Rush did not invent the synthesizers that made those sounds, they just used the components.
Escape Rope / Blxck Onion / Black Mesa
warmowski wrote:Fire back, absolutely, always and forever no matter how much it blows Andy's mind.
Boombats
Analingus Eggnog

Postby numberthirty on Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:17 pm

Man, I am going to have to put some serious thought into this one.
154 wrote:Are you in Voivod or something?
numberthirty

Next

Return to Crap / Not Crap