Primus
46%
Rush
54%

Total votes : 52

Re: THUNDERDOME: Primus vs Rush

Postby geiginni on Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:33 pm

To the point of topic:

I've been fans of both groups at one time or another. Both have had moments of brilliance and moments of execrable nonsense - often in the same song.

Both are music for adolescents, sophomores, and sonderlings, and should not be taken seriously in any sense by real adults.
geiginni
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge

Postby biscuitdough on Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:38 pm

geiginni wrote:To the point of topic:

I've been fans of both groups at one time or another. Both have had moments of brilliance and moments of execrable nonsense - often in the same song.

Both are music for adolescents, sophomores, and sonderlings, and should not be taken seriously in any sense by real adults.

That's why this is so fun, because they're so close! Rush vs. Tool would be almost impossible.

And I would say that the rococo lost the meaningful complexity of the baroque and substituted foolish decorations for it. Rush lost both the literal "party" of rock music being fun as well as the figurative party of their forebears in prog, fusion and more complex rock in general, whose playing of difficult parts served a purpose. Rush are the forebears of the "yeah well check this out bet you can't shred like this" Shrapnel records mentality.

Also I'm aware that baroque performance practice often involved a lot of showy improvisation, etc. Wasn't going for an exact metaphor.
biscuitdough
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby TheMilford on Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:29 pm

Duh.
TheMilford
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby Andy on Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:03 pm

zom-zom wrote:Okay, so you don't get prog at all, don't understand Yes either.

And you think Rush takes themselves seriously?

Andy
Leader with Extraordinary Personality
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Postby Brett Eugene Ralph on Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:38 pm

There is one Rush song I like--"The Working Man." That's a lot more than I can say for Primus, who I described on here once, I think, as Rush for the "alternative rock" set. I'll stand by that. I do not like Rush--and used to despise them (but don't now, thanks to "Beyond the Lighted Stage"), but I never thought of Rush as novelty music, unlike Primus.

Rush.
Brett Eugene Ralph
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby Bernardo on Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:59 pm

I've been listening to a few favourite cuts from the second Primus record to check if a re-evaluation is in order, and it isn't. I don't hear any Rush, starting with the fact that the drummer usually has an actual groove going there. Things got stale not long after this, but they still had it here:

Last edited by Bernardo on Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bernardo
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby taylor swiftboat orgy on Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:04 pm

"Sadder still to watch it die
Than never to have known it
For you -- the blind who once could see --
The bell tolls for thee..."

From "Losing It"
Neil Peart, ladies and gentleman...he wrote that

oh Hemmy, my Hemmy

If you don't want a Killdozer cover of Closer To The Heart, you ate lead paint as a child.

Les Claypool is a legitimately odd duck, just a too quirky and not enough charisma to be a frontman. Primus is aight, just not for me

EDIT : And I'm a KISS fan, so you know. I drank the entire gallon of lead paint. But they completely suck. I set the bar low for myself. Rush on the other hand set the bar high for themselves but fall to the earth like the cliched and deluded Icarus they are. But I prefer my cliches wrapped in obviously ridiculous cheese.
Last edited by taylor swiftboat orgy on Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
taylor swiftboat orgy
freelance sperm donor
freelance sperm donor

Postby Brett Eugene Ralph on Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:14 pm

I don't think Primus sounds like Rush. They're similar in that they're hard rock bands comprised of total nerds whose misbegotten fans defend them mostly on the basis of their "impressive chops"--never mind that the songs suck and both singers are insuffferable.
Brett Eugene Ralph
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby taylor swiftboat orgy on Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:36 pm

Bernardo wrote:I've been listening to a few favourite cuts from the second Primus record to check if a re-evaluation is in order, and it isn't. I don't hear any Rush, starting with the fact that the drummer usually has an actual groove going there. Things got stale not long after this, but they still had it here:

I wonder if Primus was an influence to any of the folks involved in the new avant garde/experimental metal. Not to hard to imagine with some of the stuff going on there.
I'd also say that Claypool comes across as a wee bit more self-aware than Rush...Sailing the Seas of Cheese. Like I'm the Captain of this ship sailing thru this sea of cheesey music. He never struck me as a deluded guy.
taylor swiftboat orgy
freelance sperm donor
freelance sperm donor

Postby Boombats on Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:50 pm

taylor swiftboat orgy wrote:I wonder if Primus was an influence to any of the folks involved in the new avant garde/experimental metal.

Ya think?

Brett Eugene Ralph wrote:misbegotten fans defend them mostly on the basis of their "impressive chops"--never mind that the songs suck

False and wrong.
I
liked the songs that were good songs by both these bands, but I think Rush only had one that was good all the way through. Lee is a much worse singer than Claypool because Claypool didn't really try to sing. If, in the realm of music that they wanted to be successful in, more people were capable of digging instrumental bands in a big way like there has been a resurgence of, then maybe Primus would have had less or no vocals. However he did have more relevant things to say than Geddy Lee or whichever of the other dudes that wrote the lyrics.
Escape Rope / Blxck Onion / Black Mesa
warmowski wrote:Fire back, absolutely, always and forever no matter how much it blows Andy's mind.
Boombats
Analingus Eggnog

Postby jimmy two hands on Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:19 am

Brett Eugene Ralph wrote:I don't think Primus sounds like Rush. They're similar in that they're hard rock bands comprised of total nerds whose misbegotten fans defend them mostly on the basis of their "impressive chops"--never mind that the songs suck and both singers are insuffferable.

I can't speak for Rush fans, but as a Primus fan I simply enjoy the songs. "Chops" or whatever don't play into the equation. Some songs got lots of flappity flippity slappity stuff and some are rather simple. Claypool's voice can get annoying; some songs would be a lot better if he didn't sound like a fucking Dana Carvey character.
banjo.comics.pigfuck.stoner metal.rock operas.

AudioTruth wrote:Everything I buy from other brands break after a couple years, this is because they are only interested in making money. I'm only interested in long-lasting eargasms.
jimmy two hands
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby Bernardo on Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:54 am

jimmy two hands wrote:I can't speak for Rush fans, but as a Primus fan I simply enjoy the songs. "Chops" or whatever don't play into the equation.

Not sure I qualify as a fan anymore, but yes. How technically proficient they were was never important at all.
Bernardo

Postby TheMilford on Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:30 am

taylor swiftboat orgy wrote:"Sadder still to watch it die
Than never to have known it
For you -- the blind who once could see --
The bell tolls for thee..."

From "Losing It"
Neil Peart, ladies and gentleman...he wrote that

Miss the point much?

http://www.2112.net/powerwindows/main/R ... ations.htm
TheMilford
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby TheMilford on Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:32 am

FWIW: I actually like Primus just fine… up through Pork Soda at least. I think Claypool really is that weird and not just making "clown music".
TheMilford
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby zom-zom on Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:40 am

Clowns make clown music. They cannot help it.
zom-zom
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby zom-zom on Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:59 am

krs wrote:
zom-zom wrote:Clowns make clown music. They cannot help it.

Take it from a man who has some experience in this area.

I've done professional comedy, yes.

And what do you do, besides jumping in on random threads in a weak, pussy-like attempt to insult board members?

You're not even good at trolling.
zom-zom
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby zom-zom on Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:14 am

Pussy.
zom-zom
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby Robot McGearman on Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:49 pm

Tried listening to Rush's first album, 2112, and Permanent Waves a while back and thinking that their first album really pioneered what would become that 1980s boogie-woogie hair metal sound. The other two I found tedious and boring. Rush is a band that took all the best elements of Black Sabbath, Pink Floyd, and early Led Zeppelin, stripped out the grit, and watered it down with over-technical playing to focus and showcase their lyrical content. They try too hard to be intellectual in their song writing, and in doing so the music comes off as pretentious.

Primus is good band. The first few albums they released are good rock albums and Pork Soda is still a solid album in its bass slapping weirdness. The video for Mr. Krinkle is still a trip.
Robot McGearman
rose royce
rose royce

Postby zom-zom on Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:04 pm

So far, the anti-Rush crowd's posts are full of bizarre pseudo-intellectual takes on how and why Rush made and makes the music that they create. How they took "elements" of whatever and did something bad with them.

Did it ever occur to any of you that these guys just came up with the stuff they play just like any other band? Why do you feel some need to pick it apart? If you don't like them, fine. They didn't ruin anything for anyone, they are not guilty of steering rock into some bad direction.

Primus is "good rock" for people that can't take rock guys' attempts to be pompous and pretentious. Some of the greatest rock music ever created is chock-full of truly incredibly dumb and ponderous lyrical flights of fancy. And you must realize that these lyrics were written by guys with long hair who drank too much, took lots of drugs, lived the life and had a blast.

Primus is just dork-rock for dorks. The guy's bass playing is horrible, the singing unlistenable, the jokey-joke clown music is sickeningly nasty wankery, augmented by the nastiest, ugliest slap-bass horrors.
zom-zom
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby zom-zom on Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:18 pm

Say Chris? Why don't you post a photo of yourself?

I have a lot of friends here, they know what I look like and have heard my bass playing.

You have no friends here that I can tell, you just like to be an asshole to board members and contribute nothing positive.
zom-zom
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap