Awesome?

Yah
100%
Nah
No votes

Total votes : 12

Re: Place: Portland, Maine

Postby Big John on Thu May 08, 2014 4:01 pm

Thinking of walking from the Nova Scotia ferry dock to the Bus to Boston looks a mile or so is that correct? or is it a much longer walk and I should hustle a cab.
Big John
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby cuttheshitmike on Thu May 08, 2014 4:05 pm

if you don't mind a decent walk, you'll be fine. Nothing in town is un-walkable, distance-wise. You will have to go up or around a big hill, but other than that not a terrible walk.
cuttheshitmike
baboon
baboon

Postby WeStartToDrift on Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:25 pm

So what are some cool bands to check out? I just got into town the other day.
WeStartToDrift
hindu
hindu

Postby Incandenza on Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:55 am

Paging FM STF.....
Incandenza
puggy pearson
puggy pearson

Postby WeStartToDrift on Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:39 am

So, long shot here, but are there any drummers or people that know a drummer on here? Myself and FM TyTy are starting a new musical endeavor and are in need of a drummer. Sonic Youth, Jesus Lizard, Unwound, stuff like that..
WeStartToDrift
hindu
hindu

Postby gjp on Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:28 pm

Was there for a couple of days. Very nice. Didn't really get into anything, but very beautiful up there.

I'll vote NC.
gjp
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness

Postby landspeednyc on Sun Dec 25, 2016 10:30 pm

Going analog: Portland engineer building dream recording studio
Nick Johnson hopes to have his nonprofit studio, Prism Analog in East Bayside, open by sometime in February.
http://www.pressherald.com/2016/12/25/a ... equipment/
Nick Johnson began to see his musical dream clearly taking shape only after finding about 30 beer cans under the floorboards of his bathroom.

Not any beer cans, these. From the 1930s, they were rare, cone-shaped cans with cork toppers. Johnson sold them to a collector for about $15,000.

Johnson, 42, decided to use the money to build something he’s wanted for more than 20 years: a recording studio that uses bulky, expensive reels of tape and 30-year-old equipment considered obsolete by many. He wants a completely analog recording studio, the kind that mostly exists today in movies about the 1960s. With the beer can money, he bought a restored 1980s-vintage Studer 24-track tape machine, once used to record the rock band Smashing Pumpkins, as well as an Otari mixdown tape machine and a used analog mixing board. While digital mixing of an album is done with mouse clicks, Johnson’s mixing board is about 8 feet long and has dozens of knobs and levers.

Non-Profit, Non-Digital: Prism Analog Studio in Maine
https://reverb.com/news/non-profit-non- ... o-in-maine

How did you decide that all those pieces were the right ones for your studio?

I read some interviews with Steve Albini that really became my north star. I studied the Electrical Audio website. He was a mentor, in terms of the way he does things.
landspeednyc
dock ellis
dock ellis

Postby elisha wiesner on Mon Dec 26, 2016 4:16 pm

landspeednyc wrote:Going analog: Portland engineer building dream recording studio
Nick Johnson hopes to have his nonprofit studio, Prism Analog in East Bayside, open by sometime in February.
http://www.pressherald.com/2016/12/25/a ... equipment/
Nick Johnson began to see his musical dream clearly taking shape only after finding about 30 beer cans under the floorboards of his bathroom.

Not any beer cans, these. From the 1930s, they were rare, cone-shaped cans with cork toppers. Johnson sold them to a collector for about $15,000.

Johnson, 42, decided to use the money to build something he’s wanted for more than 20 years: a recording studio that uses bulky, expensive reels of tape and 30-year-old equipment considered obsolete by many. He wants a completely analog recording studio, the kind that mostly exists today in movies about the 1960s. With the beer can money, he bought a restored 1980s-vintage Studer 24-track tape machine, once used to record the rock band Smashing Pumpkins, as well as an Otari mixdown tape machine and a used analog mixing board. While digital mixing of an album is done with mouse clicks, Johnson’s mixing board is about 8 feet long and has dozens of knobs and levers.

Non-Profit, Non-Digital: Prism Analog Studio in Maine
https://reverb.com/news/non-profit-non- ... o-in-maine

How did you decide that all those pieces were the right ones for your studio?

I read some interviews with Steve Albini that really became my north star. I studied the Electrical Audio website. He was a mentor, in terms of the way he does things.

Hilarious. 50 bucks says dude's never used an MRL tape in his life.
elisha wiesner

Postby landspeednyc on Sat Feb 01, 2020 4:17 pm

Was looking for this old thread, and it got me curious to see if prism got up and running.
(answer is "yes")
https://www.facebook.com/prismanalog/
http://prismanalog.org/
landspeednyc
dock ellis
dock ellis

Previous

Return to Crap / Not Crap