Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

The Band

Crap
8%
Not Crap
92%

Total votes : 51

Postby MF Nightmen on Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:04 pm

i just finished watching the "Classic Albums: The Band" dvd, and saw this thread. The band are NOT CRAP.

When i was youngn', i remember disliking them ("hey, this band doesn't sound like Kiss, therefore, they suck"). As I grew older I became ambivalent about them (oh, those guys that backed up dylan and play the country music- meh). But several years ago I found a vhs copy of The Last Waltz at the thrift store, and i then became a TOTAL CONVERT. There was something mesmerizing about watching these guys play- great musicianship, really into what they were playing, and seeming to have a great time doing it. And the voices of Manuel/Danko/Helm.

There's a bittersweet scene in The Last Waltz where Scorsese and Rick Danko are sitting in the studio and he asks Danko what he's going to do now that it's all over. Danko pauses for a while and says, "Just keep making music and try to stay busy...". You get the impression that these guys could have kept going if Robertson didn't decide to pull the plug.
MF Nightmen
boris badenov
boris badenov

Re: Band, The

Postby tallchris on Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:51 pm

Rock of Ages is a pretty fantastic live album.

NC obvs for that and the first two LPs.
Bass, minivan: [BRACKETS]
Guitar, vocals: BURN PERMITS
Bass, vocals: POLICE TEETH
tallchris
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby whoisalhedges on Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:35 pm

Last time I was at karaoke, a dude who like my song selection (Townes Van Zandt, Elvis Costello, Dramarama, Marvin Gaye) invited me up to (drunk) sing "Up on Cripple Creek" with him. We traded off on verses, and I took the baritone harmonies in the choruses. It was the most fun I've had at karaoke in a long time (it has sadly become little more than a perfunctory drunk task at this point in my life).

The Band are not crap.
"Country music must go on!" -- Austin J. Hall, September 11, 2001
whoisalhedges
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love

Location: Where they put chili on spaghetti, BBQ sauce on kielbasa, and men on the moon.

Postby P.J. Craven on Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:32 am

Doing work, listening to The Band. I am thankful for The Band!
ty-lot wrote:Sick bro
P.J. Craven
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby fredrock on Fri Nov 29, 2013 12:35 pm

Their road MGR commented something to the effect that Levon never captured the "person" Virgil Caine like he did this night.
I wouldn't argue that point.
phpBB [media]

And that he is playing drums with such skill all the while is amazing!!
Life is just what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.
-John Lennon
fredrock
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness

Re:

Postby Angus Jung on Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:52 pm

8 years ago I wrote:They did enough great songs to warrant a definite N/C, but I wouldn't call myself a fan.

I am more of a fan now, especially of the 2nd s/t LP.
Angus Jung
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby Dovey on Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:35 am

What is a good book to read about This Band?
Mason wrote:What 2014 needs less of is branding.
Dovey
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby Dudley on Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:01 pm

The Barney Hoskyns one "Across The Great Divide", I think it's called.
Seby wrote:How does the sting of marginalisation taste now, you pick-using oppressors?
Dudley

Postby eephour on Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:49 pm

either/or: Big Pink or The Brown Album?

Think I'm going Brown. That second side is just killer.
eephour
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge

Postby Thanasis on Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:10 pm

I thought I might've already posted. Turns out that I have not. The Band are Not Crap for Big Pink and the self-titled record. That's all I have heard, other than the basement tapes. Anything else I need to hear?
Thanasis
that guy from the opening band
that guy from the opening band

Postby numberthirty on Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:30 pm

Thanasis wrote:I thought I might've already posted. Turns out that I have not. The Band are Not Crap for Big Pink and the self-titled record. That's all I have heard, other than the basement tapes. Anything else I need to hear?

The Last Waltz
154 wrote:Are you in Voivod or something?
numberthirty
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby A Landing Craft on Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:26 am

NOT CRAP. I've only heard the first three albums, but wasn't too keen on Stage Fright. The first two albums are amazing though.

Also, there's a bootleg out there of the complete basement tapes minus all of Robbie Robertson's overdubs called A Tree With Roots. This is highly recommended if you want to see how The Band became what they were, lots of traditional numbers, re-arrangements, a bit of everything peppered throughout its five discs. Sounds clear as a bell too.

phpBB [media]
A Landing Craft
richard diebenkorn
richard diebenkorn

Postby Maurice on Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:29 am

Listening to the unedited/unoverdubbed Last Waltz,, a question emerges: we know that Marty was paid by the closeup on Robbie, but was Robbie paid by the pinch harmonic?
music every week | here, too | snwv

Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, I ask you: What the fuck?
Maurice
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby Dudley on Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:32 pm

I don't like The Band as much as I did. Seeing "The Last Waltz" again recently was probably part of it - or more accurately, the non-live bits. Robertson comes across as such a tool.

Another stumbling block for me has been - and I know this is stupid - that song where the narrator talks about "his very best friend" who "they call Ragtime Willy." It just makes me irrationally angry, for some reason. No-one gets called "Ragtime Willy".

I find myself shouting "No, they fucking don't. You're making it up. Fucking Ragtime fucking Willy."

Like I said, it's stupid, but I think I find a lot of the artifice that I used to find charming in The Band really annoying now. I have no problem with the lack of authenticity or anything - I love Creedence, for example - but the Band's mythmaking and nostalgia just grates on me way more than it did.
Seby wrote:How does the sting of marginalisation taste now, you pick-using oppressors?
Dudley

Postby offal on Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:08 pm

Just heard about this:

Once Were Brothers: Robbie Robertson and The Band

I have only a superficial grasp of their history, but I've gathered that having Robertson being such a focus is bound to be problematic.
offal
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity

Postby Redline on Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:25 pm

Not Crap, and how did Levon Helm get that sound playing with those little pencil drum sticks?
Redline
World's Greatest Lover
World's Greatest Lover

Postby tmidgett on Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:01 pm

offal wrote:I have only a superficial grasp of their history, but I've gathered that having Robertson being such a focus is bound to be problematic.

Yeah. The funny thing about "Robbie Robertson and The Band" is that the only person who thinks about it that way is Robbie Robertson.

I've come to realize over many years that I don't like them quite as much as I think I do.

I love the way Danko, Levon, and Garth play. I love Richard's voice.

But The Band was exactly the sum of its parts.

Pretty good, even so, but great bands make 2+2=5 every day. They never quite did it, at least not without Dylan, and Dylan made 2+2 > 5 on any number of occasions with much more rando casting.
tmidgett
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby Wood Goblin on Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:39 pm

I can’t vote crap, because I’ve never investigated The Band beyond the radio hits. But I’ve never investigated beyond the radio hits because I don’t care for the radio hits. “The Weight” just isn’t my cup of tea. Maybe it’s brilliant, but it grates on me.

Love CCR, though. Love plenty of music that’s inauthentic. I think that, if you’re inauthentic, it helps if you don’t radiate arrogance the way that Robbie Robertson does.
Wood Goblin
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby tmidgett on Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:58 pm

Wood Goblin wrote:I can’t vote crap, because I’ve never investigated The Band beyond the radio hits. But I’ve never investigated beyond the radio hits because I don’t care for the radio hits. “The Weight” just isn’t my cup of tea. Maybe it’s brilliant, but it grates on me.

Love CCR, though. Love plenty of music that’s inauthentic. I think that, if you’re inauthentic, it helps if you don’t radiate arrogance the way that Robbie Robertson does.

I don't even really know what authenticity is, in the context of something as dependent on illusion and self-mythology as rock and roll.

I'd say they were both very calculating. I think The Band got over in spite of being calculated, whereas CCR got over because of it.

Fogerty's focus was tight, seemed to be bound by the music they were making. Robertson had other agendas, I think, as a fuckin' storyteller for the ages or whatever, and you get some unpleasant whiffs of that throughout the oeuvre.
tmidgett
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby Wood Goblin on Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:19 pm

That sounds right.
Wood Goblin
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap