Bolt Thrower

NOT CRAP.
89%
CRAP.
11%

Total votes : 19

Band: Bolt Thrower

Postby Plastic Eggs on Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:14 pm

There's NC/C threads for Earache alums Napalm Death, Carcass, Godflesh, and even Fudge Tunnel, but no thread for the almighty Bolt?

BT are hands down my favorite death metal band. The type of death metal they make is what I like about the genre. I like that they're not overly technical and about soulless musical complexity (the kind of DM I don't like.) Just slow doomy bits interspersed with chugging palm muted riffs played at discharge-like speed. Rather, rinse, repeat. Awesome. And they're capable of writing melodies without coming off as overly cheesy (Heartwork-era Carcass comes to mind.) They've also remained pretty consistent throughout a long career. Ok, Mercenary and Honour, Valor, Pride are lesser works, but everything else is pretty awesome, especially War Master and the IVth Crusade.
Plastic Eggs
gus hansen
gus hansen

Re: Band: Bolt Thrower

Postby M.H on Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:03 pm

One of the few classic Earache bands I don't like. Sloppy, sloppy stuff: not really heavy or catchy or interesting or... well, anything, at least to these ears. Obituary did the early DM via heavy rock vibe much better. Minus points for getting more boring as their career progressed.

Crap.
M.H
cmdr. william adama
cmdr. william adama

Postby madmanmunt on Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:31 pm

Always skipped their tracks on the Earache comps.
Book of Leo, Chapter 19 Verse 46 wrote:The man thought that he knew the glory and the wrath wrought of the Stratocaster, but lo! He was corrected.

Let them measure my anus and see if it is dilated.
madmanmunt
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby Justin Foley on Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:54 pm

Top ten band for me. IVth Crusade and ...For Victory are such wonderful records. As OP noted - all of the good stuff about the genre with very little of the bad stuff.

"Spearhead" is really one of my most favorite songs.

Entirely Not Crap.

= Justin
Justin Foley
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness

Postby Tommy Alpha on Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:29 pm

I've not really heard that much, but as a grown-up former Games Workshop enthusiast, I'm glad they exist.

A very specific not crap.
Tommy Alpha
Guardian Diety of the Planet
Guardian Diety of the Planet

Postby taylor swiftboat orgy on Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:46 am

Always liked the punk metal quality to Bolt Thrower's sound.
Finally saw them live two years ago at Deathfest.
The place exploded.
The Almighty Bolt, indeed.
taylor swiftboat orgy
freelance sperm donor
freelance sperm donor

Postby Bernardo on Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:53 pm

Back in the day I was always put off by how one-dimensional they were, in that nothing interesting or unexpected had any chance of happening at any point. The old Autopsy records show how you can make music in that genre that is not pointlessly flashy, has a coherent vibe but is also vivid and unpredictable. In the caveman death metal category I also liked Obituary better.

I see the positive side to their music now, but I did ignore the band when I was most impressionable. I vividly remember skipping through the tracks of Warmaster with a friend and being amused at how many of them started out exactly the same. I'd give them the time of day now, but I don't own any of the records.
Bernardo
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby circle_ruler on Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:49 pm

i heard bits of them on the Peel show. they had a certain charm.

NC
Dudley wrote:Are we "meant" to wear trousers? Are we "meant" to sit in metal tubes that travel 30,000 feet above the earth?
circle_ruler
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge

Postby taylor swiftboat orgy on Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:49 pm

Bernardo wrote:Back in the day I was always put off by how one-dimensional they were, in that nothing interesting or unexpected had any chance of happening at any point. The old Autopsy records show how you can make music in that genre that is not pointlessly flashy, has a coherent vibe but is also vivid and unpredictable. In the caveman death metal category I also liked Obituary better.

I see the positive side to their music now, but I did ignore the band when I was most impressionable. I vividly remember skipping through the tracks of Warmaster with a friend and being amused at how many of them started out exactly the same. I'd give them the time of day now, but I don't own any of the records.

I think that's a fair assessment. They're the DOOM of death metal in so far as they never really color outside the lines of their straight ahead formula. Coincidentally, my impression has always been that Bolt Thrower is highly regarded in crust circles - it wouldn't surprise me one bit to see DOOM, Amebix, Discharge and Broken Bones shirts at a Bolt Thrower show.
taylor swiftboat orgy
freelance sperm donor
freelance sperm donor

Postby Plastic Eggs on Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:26 pm

Bernardo wrote:Back in the day I was always put off by how one-dimensional they were, in that nothing interesting or unexpected had any chance of happening at any point. The old Autopsy records show how you can make music in that genre that is not pointlessly flashy, has a coherent vibe but is also vivid and unpredictable. In the caveman death metal category I also liked Obituary better.

I love Autopsy. Mental Funeral is a classic. It sounds they way the Shaggoth looks on the cover: crude, oily, utterly disgusting. I like the methed-up trailer park bludgeon of the first Obituary record, especially that awesome Celtic Frost tone. Cause of Death, which everyone cites as their best, is marred by James Murphy's contribution of the cheez-whiz soloing, which bugs the shit out of me and prevents me from enjoying it.

Bolt Thrower is still the best that I've heard in the genre. Asphyx, Autopsy, and the first Grave LP come close, but it's still a distance.
Plastic Eggs
gus hansen
gus hansen

Postby J. Burns on Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:28 pm

Jamming "For Victory" right now.

Album fucking rules.
J. Burns
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby rawketlawnchair on Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:41 pm

Filthy, pants-shittingly heavy oldschool death metal doesn't get a lot better than Realm of Chaos. Later stuff is respectable/noble, and they had the courtesy to stop before they got boring or pathetic (despite a slight over-reliance on those "Egyptian-sounding" minor melodies). NC.

Bernardo, try this, if you haven't yet: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Red_in_the_Sky_Is_Ours Before they went onto pioneer some sort of bland proto-metalcore, they were listening to Swedish folk records in reverse for melodic inspiration
rawketlawnchair
judge
judge

Postby Justin Foley on Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:00 pm

J. Burns wrote:Jamming "For Victory" right now.

Album fucking rules.

[youtube]https://youtu.be/xiyHqwX3SOU?t=122[/youtube]

Damn.

= Justin
Last edited by Justin Foley on Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Justin Foley

Postby SecondEdition on Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:59 pm

Realm of Chaos rips. Not crap.
Life...life...I know it's got its ups and downs.

In the someday, what's that sound.

CS. PC. MM.
SecondEdition
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby Seby on Sun Jul 31, 2016 6:20 pm

NC for War Master alone.
Seby
took picture of naked guy
took picture of naked guy

Postby monotremata on Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:38 am

Seby wrote:NC for War Master alone.

^Yep.
monotremata
webelos
webelos

Postby M.H on Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:46 am

Really digging …For Victory recently, gave it a shot when somebody cited it as an example of Colin Richardson’s brilliance and was surprised how well-realised the band sound. I still can’t get on with the sloppy (Realm of Chaos) and monotone (War Master) albums before this one, however.
M.H
cmdr. william adama
cmdr. william adama

Postby Wood Goblin on Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:08 am

My brother bought my son Realm of Chaos for Xmas. I usually have little patience for grindcore, but this record is great! My wife likes it too!

Not sure I need any more of their records. Which I’m itching for chugga-chugga music, this record scratches that itch.
Wood Goblin
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Return to Crap / Not Crap