Rush?

Crap
53%
Not Crap
47%

Total votes : 220

Re: Band: Rush

Postby ryantf on Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:31 pm

I liked them a lot when I was younger. Stopped paying attention after A Show of Hands. Saw them on the Moving Pictures tour and their live show sounded exactly like the record, note for note. Not crap, though they're not on my radar that much these days.
ryantf
novitiate
novitiate

Postby DefinitelyNOTtheSWEDE on Tue Jun 30, 2015 2:57 am

My goodness. Just saw them at MSG (friend last minute dropped a ticket in my lap). I've been away from them live, and on record for a good decade or more, but my enthusiasm for them in my youth was nothing short of messianic.

But fuck. That was a damn barn burner. The set was structured reverse chronologically, from newest to oldest, which a particular onus on the big ticket 70's numbers (hemispheres, farewell...). While I wished they spent more time in the 80's (i'm weird like that), I was nevertheless reduced to traditional teen age delirium, and in awe of what these three dudes can do. Alex Lifeson gets the mvp award from me, as I can't recall ever hearing him this good. Maybe it's to be chalked up to modern arena sound advancements in the last 10 years, but God forgive me saying such words, his "tone" was right fuvking on for the mid seventies and older stuff, in a way I've never heard it be live before. They simply sounded, and performed top notch. And I couldn't help but feel really charmed by these dorks all over again.

Shit was waist deep in geeky, yet lovingly and painstakingly performed hard Canadian-prog, and it was awesome. While I have little use for 2112 at this point, and don't jibe well with the detuned (so Geddy can maybe try and hit them old notes) nature of their current arrangement, it was still a real delight to watch.

I get a sense this may well be the farewell go for them, in this big arena tour fashion... And it was really quite a celebration, as such. I've seen them quite a few times back when, and no asterisks about it, this was the best they have ever been, as a cohesive live act. Most rush shows don't feel better to me than others, they can come off live as a band that really sticks to a set, and although clearly dedicated and intensely focused for the most part, it can play through without revealing much outward emotion- but tonight felt kind of like a good one. A better one.

Fuck me. What a band. So glad they "won" in the end, you know? Just a trio of dudes doing weird shit for 40 years, their way. I don't think they are ridiculous in the slightest, and if you missed the boat on them, sucks for you.

I perhaps forgive a lot of fat, middle age dads looking goofy, but goddamned it, it's pretty emotional to watch and hear a packed throng of devoted fans belt out those damn lyrics to spirit of radio (you know, the ones... That even Jack Black can manage to make sound poignant... "Yeah, your honesty!")
Them words there are pretty un-fuckwithable... And sum up the spirit of this band, and what they represent... And it was really goddamned amazing to watch.

Go see the fuckers, you turkeys.
DefinitelyNOTtheSWEDE
has seen it all
has seen it all

Postby Redline on Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:08 am

^ HOF
Redline
World's Greatest Lover
World's Greatest Lover

Postby TheMilford on Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:22 pm

DefinitelyNOTtheSWEDE wrote:My goodness. Just saw them at MSG...

I was there too! Shit was holy shit awesome. 100% true that it may have been their best show we've ever seen. And Geddy's voice sounded best it has since his struggle with an aging voice in the 90s or so. He seems to have found a trick or sweet spot for it.

Glad to know you and Frank were there experiencing it while my band of friends and family were soaking it in as well. Holy SHIT Xanadu blew my mind… and yes, I cried like a little bitch during the never-before-played-live Losing It. What an amazing touch.

Bravo weird canadian prog dudes. Way to go out on top.
TheMilford
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby DefinitelyNOTtheSWEDE on Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:19 pm

TheMilford wrote:
DefinitelyNOTtheSWEDE wrote:My goodness. Just saw them at MSG...

I was there too! Shit was holy shit awesome. 100% true that it may have been their best show we've ever seen. And Geddy's voice sounded best it has since his struggle with an aging voice in the 90s or so. He seems to have found a trick or sweet spot for it.

Glad to know you and Frank were there experiencing it while my band of friends and family were soaking it in as well. Holy SHIT Xanadu blew my mind… and yes, I cried like a little bitch during the never-before-played-live Losing It. What an amazing touch.

Bravo weird canadian prog dudes. Way to go out on top.

Yep, we were there. Losing it was delightful to see, never expected something like that! Also, it took me a bit to realize it, but there were two separate drum kits for the two sets... I noticed Neil banging on the bells, and realized he was playing a very familiar looking format that we haven't seen in years. Oh, and wow, what the hell with all the frigging basses? Geddy was a real 1 or 2 bass guy for so long, it was pretty amazing to see the parade of crazy vintage basses, including that awesome double neck rick.

Some a real "fan" show, I have to say, but played with such enthusiasm and care.

Awesome to know you were there! I figured as much, in fact when "losing it" came on, I imagined you somewhere in that place losing (your sh)it!
DefinitelyNOTtheSWEDE
has seen it all
has seen it all

Postby projectMalamute on Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:28 pm

Traynor alert:

(yes, it's just a prop. still cool)
youtube
web site

Endeavor to persevere.
projectMalamute
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity

Postby mt on Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:27 pm

1981 - first got into this band at 11 yrs old - too late for the Moving Pictures tour
1982 - outside looking in on a 6 ticket limit for Signals
1984 - first time I saw them live

Didn't miss a tour until Clockwork Angels - ironically, an album I considered pretty solid (yes, I can easily weigh in on all of their studio output).

Was thinking about going to Chicago to see them this tour with my brothers but it was kinda pricey to swing.

They play in Seattle the Sunday evening I will have just have returned from a 5 day drive back from Chicago with the family. Not sure it is prudent to go and it would be by my lonesome, but I am still considering purchasing a ticket (but man are they pricey - even singles). :(

Part of me says just get the inevitable DVD - seen them more times than I can recall decently - I dunno - Part of me knows that with all the slagging this band gets here and acknowledging how much my musical tastes have broadened and refined in these 30+ years, this was the first band I really got juiced about and this is pretty much the last go 'round for them (they seem decent enough to not be Bowie about this potential "farewell", and I take them at their word - physical ailments, cautious statements about one off gigs in the future, and such).
mt
the white ho
the white ho

Postby Redline on Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:36 am

Wow..DW did a "Chromey" tribute kit. That's pretty bad-ass.

Concert toms are GO!
Redline
World's Greatest Lover
World's Greatest Lover

Postby matthew on Sun Jul 05, 2015 4:13 pm

I wish Mr. Albini would do some of his remarks upon Rush lyrics again. Those were pretty funny, as I recall.

Come on. Do it.
...diesque nostros in tua pace disponas...
matthew
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture

Postby TheMilford on Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:18 pm

matthew wrote:I wish Mr. Albini would do some of his remarks upon Rush lyrics again. Those were pretty funny, as I recall.

Come on. Do it.

I bet you'd like that.
TheMilford
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby zom-zom on Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:35 pm

Well it's no "Lemonade" I guess.
zom-zom
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby biscuitdough on Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:41 pm

phpBB [media]
biscuitdough
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby enframed on Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:27 pm

Steve V. wrote:
phpBB [media]

This record is good.

You're right. That and Signals are the only ones I still own.

phpBB [media]
Records for sale.

Those most doomed to repeat history are those who know it best.
enframed
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby matthew on Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:15 pm

Rush isn't so bad once you discount alot of Mr. Peart's lyrics. I personally like a lot of their rock and roll music.

Per Mr. Peart's lyrics: C'mon FM steve....do a parody-critique of them some time again. Entertain and enlighten us with it :). It' would be fun!
...diesque nostros in tua pace disponas...
matthew

Postby epicman224 on Thu May 26, 2016 10:40 pm

First ever rock concert (other than the fake Beatles) they are great. Fun to listen to. There new albums have been sloppy but there is still 2112.
epicman224
comrade
comrade

Postby Redline on Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:08 pm

I have a beef with Rush.

The 40th anniversary for Farewell to Kings is coming up, so I know I'm going to buy the super deluxe swindle edition, no bout a doubt it...It has the whole live Hammersmith '78 show, a repro Farewell to Kings Tour Book, and tons of other junk.

My beef is the four newly-recorded cover versions of songs from the original album by Dream Theater, Big Wreck, The Trews and Alain Johannes; do we really need that? Couldn't we leave that out? Couldn't that space be used for the video out takes of the chimps dressed up as Rush playing Tom Sawyer?

Farewell to Kings is my favorite Rush lp.
Redline
World's Greatest Lover
World's Greatest Lover

Postby four_oclocker_2 on Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:53 pm

Redline wrote:I have a beef with Rush.

The 40th anniversary for Farewell to Kings is coming up, so I know I'm going to buy the super deluxe swindle edition, no bout a doubt it...It has the whole live Hammersmith '78 show, a repro Farewell to Kings Tour Book, and tons of other junk.

My beef is the four newly-recorded cover versions of songs from the original album by Dream Theater, Big Wreck, The Trews and Alain Johannes; do we really need that? Couldn't we leave that out? Couldn't that space be used for the video out takes of the chimps dressed up as Rush playing Tom Sawyer?

Farewell to Kings is my favorite Rush lp.

Man, they did this same shit with the 2112 reissue. Like, what the fuck y'all? You mean to tell me there aren't ANY demos out there they could put out instead?
Jazz Titan/Ruthie Cohen

KJ/HM/MH/DB

"I'm not in the Kiss Army. But I am in the reserves, and could be called up at any time." - Warmowski
four_oclocker_2
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness

Postby Dave N. on Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:19 pm

I recently read Neil Peart's book Ghost Rider, and I came out of it with new respect for the guy. It's a heartbreaking document of his grief after losing his daughter and wife. Not high literature or anything, mostly journal entries and letters. The overall tone of I tried to do everything right, and everything turned out so wrong was certainly a bummer. It's an interesting document of everything blowing up in the face of a perfectionist.

Maybe "perfectionist" isn't a proper description. I get the sense that he's spent the better part of his life uncomfortable in his own skin, and it's something he's always trying to outrun. Maybe his drum style is an attempt to outrun awkwardness, which often ends up sounding awkward. I don't think he's trying to impress anyone but himself, and maybe his bandmates. He seems to find all of the accolades embarrassing. Whether you like his drumming or not, it's unmistakably his own, and between that and his general human decency, I find it hard to dislike what he does or who he is.

Anyway, Rush will never be crap, in my book. Beyond the Lighted Stage is on Netflix right now, and it's worth seeing, whether you like them or not.
Dave N.

Postby Redline on Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:25 pm

Redline
World's Greatest Lover
World's Greatest Lover

Postby Adam Sr on Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:37 pm

Wouldn't have expected this Geddy Lee collab.

Adam Sr
Leader with Extraordinary Personality
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap