Vocalist: Mike Patton

Crap
51%
Not Crap
49%

Total votes : 98

Re: Vocalist: Mike Patton

Postby Angus Jung on Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:46 pm

Man Mike Patton always moves the old needle.

People be all typin'. Type-ity type.
Angus Jung
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby Gramsci on Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:03 pm

DrAwkward wrote:The last Album of the Year tour in 1998, and then one of the reunion shows in Los Angeles in 2010. Both times they played "Epic" and i swear to god the prevailing feeling in the crowd was "ok, let's get through this one." Other than that both shows were excellent.

I also don't get the venom directed toward him. Not your bag, fine, but it's not like he's Billy Corgan over here. I once read an interview with him in some guitar magazine once where the interviewer asked him about FNM influencing so many nu-metal bands, and his response was "really? Because most of them are terrible, so i wish they wouldn't say that."

Ah, I saw them Angel Dust and King For a Day tours which I think was the "I never want to fucking play that song again" period. He seems to have made peace with it later on. Which is why I pointed out seeing on a KFAD tour video was odd...

Typing typing...
clocker bob may 30, 2006 wrote:I think the possibility of interbreeding between an earthly species and an extraterrestrial species is as believable as any other explanation for the existence of George W. Bush.
Gramsci
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby DrAwkward on Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:28 am

rayword45 wrote:Remember that also around the era of Epic came the Bungle debut.

And while there are a few good cuts on that album, most is atrocious lecherous funk metal dreck disguising itself as experimental.

The Mr. Bungle s/t debut is certainly the Bungle album that i never listen to. Disco Volante and California more than make up for it, though.

Mr. Bungle was Patton's high school band, FFS, so it's no surprise to me that at the time of the debut album, a bunch of early 20-somethings that were buddies since high school would still be clinging to a lot of the sophomoric teenage boy in-jokes that made them chuckle as 16-year-olds.
Stinky Pete wrote:BDSM is a bit like Queens of the Stone Age in that it's basically fine to be into, but a bit worrying if you're obsessed with it.

Body Futures
IfIHadAHiFi
Martian Dance Invasion!
DrAwkward
Master of Cunnilingus
Master of Cunnilingus

Postby the Classical on Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:20 am

There's this song he sings on the Zorn Morricone record that always pops up on my 'pod on shuffle and I'm always "who the heck is this...oh Patton".

I kind of like a lot of his stuff in theory and very little of it in practice.

I'm not crazy about FNM but it is strange to me how whitewashed out of the history of alternative music they (and Jane's Addiction) have been, I was fourteen when The Real Thing came out and that record was a pretty crucial stepping stone into the world of underground music for us, it was the first sign to us there was something other than metal or college rock (which to was basically R.E.M. or the Cure and was strictly for girls). FNM on the MTV Video Music Awards in 1990 was a much bigger deal to me (& my friends) than the Nirvana explosion a year later.
the Classical
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love

Postby harpseal2 on Thu Jul 02, 2015 4:05 pm

He's a very talented vocalist, and he's a pretty decent guy from what I've seen. When he's not doing a stupid sounding voice or squealing like a retard over funk metal, he can be alright.

I don't enjoy most of his output, but I did like Disco Volante. I also remember enjoying Fantômas quite a lot, even though it was really strange to my little ears.

Not crap, but wf: unfathomable.
scarnon
harpseal2
a² + b² = c²
a² + b² = c²

Postby DrAwkward on Thu Jul 02, 2015 4:25 pm

harpseal2 wrote:funk metal

Just don't get this at all
Stinky Pete wrote:BDSM is a bit like Queens of the Stone Age in that it's basically fine to be into, but a bit worrying if you're obsessed with it.

Body Futures
IfIHadAHiFi
Martian Dance Invasion!
DrAwkward
Master of Cunnilingus
Master of Cunnilingus

Postby lemur68 on Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:21 pm

DrAwkward wrote:

"Epic" and the first Bungle record = they've been basically the Chili Peppers their entire career!
big_dave wrote:This is just about finding a dorky selfie on his blogspot?

Jesus, this is the Space Ace by Don Bluth of internet intrigue.
lemur68
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby aldofarian on Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:46 am

lemur68 wrote:
DrAwkward wrote:

"Epic" and the first Bungle record = they've been basically the Chili Peppers their entire career!

The first Bungle record is horrible but it sounds more like the Cardiacs (or Painkiller) than the RHCP.

For FNM, Martin's guitar parts were basically thrash chuggs with weird rhythms. I can think of 2 songs with excessive slap bass (Anne's song and Falling to Pieces). Does Patton sound like Kiedis? You'd be better arguing they looked similar ('Real Thing' era) which I think was Kiedis' beef.
mort pété
aldofarian
freelance sperm donor
freelance sperm donor

Postby WeStartToDrift on Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:35 am

I don't understand the appeal of Faith No More, but I really dig Tomahawk, so he just squeaks by as "Not Crap". Like a small pile of delicious pancakes next to a huge mountain of terrible over-cooked waffles.
WeStartToDrift
life
life

Postby WeStartToDrift on Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:35 am

DUPLICATE
WeStartToDrift
life
life

Postby Gramsci on Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:48 am

lemur68 wrote:
DrAwkward wrote:

What?

phpBB [media]

PS. I seem to be turing into the FNM/Patton defender, but to be blunt like Angel Dust and King for a Day, 2nd Tomahawk, California... and smatterings of his solo work. But I never get that FNM/Patton get their/his entire output judged on one record 25 years ago when he was 20...
clocker bob may 30, 2006 wrote:I think the possibility of interbreeding between an earthly species and an extraterrestrial species is as believable as any other explanation for the existence of George W. Bush.
Gramsci
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby Boombats on Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:33 am

You guys make me feel like a total freak because I like The Real Thing and Irony Is A Dead Scene more than all the rest, and I might prefer Mike the guy even more than Patton the singer. He kills it in many interviews as far as saying shit I agree with, but then I hate most music and am in at least 3 bands at any given time.

Question for FMMikeP: would you like to record a Zappa covers album with me and really piss everyone off?
Escape Rope / Blxck Onion / Black Mesa
warmowski wrote:Fire back, absolutely, always and forever no matter how much it blows Andy's mind.
Boombats
Analingus Eggnog

Postby projectMalamute on Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:08 am

Mr Bungle was hugely influenced by Fishbone early on. That was their favorite band when getting started as a bunch of 14 year olds in the middle of nowhere, and that's mostly what people are hearing on the first album.

I like plenty of stuff Patton has done a lot: Disco Volante, California, all the Fantomas albums, Angel Dust, his trio with Zorn and Ikue Mori.

He seems like a hard worker who is making a good faith effort to put out music that isn't trivial. That counts for something to me.

His record label has put out lots of good stuff.

easy NC.
youtube
web site

Endeavor to persevere.
projectMalamute
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity

Postby Mick Shrimpton on Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:36 am

Scatman CRAPthers
Mick Shrimpton
first class
first class

Postby lemur68 on Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:12 am

Gramsci wrote:
lemur68 wrote:
DrAwkward wrote:

What?

I'm saying that's the logic of people who hear one song and assume every song is that song.

The same people would be calling FNM "movie soundtrack music" if the Midnight Cowboy theme was the single.
big_dave wrote:This is just about finding a dorky selfie on his blogspot?

Jesus, this is the Space Ace by Don Bluth of internet intrigue.
lemur68
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby crustandcrumb on Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:47 pm

N/C for the first Tomahawk record and Irony Is A Dead Scene. and because he does whatever he wants, even if a lot, it ends up sucking. not the kind of guy I'd keep as company, but I do admire his approach and generally see him as a talented vocalist

Waffles waffles
Sam wrote:i'm going to bootleg my own set with a Portastudio and upload/convert to .flac, burn and wrap the CD in a giant gatefold usb stick
crustandcrumb

Postby Angus Jung on Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:25 am

Just a heads-up that Mike Patton has formed a new band w/Dave Lombardo and members of the Locust called Dead Cross. It's HC/thrash stuff. On tour right now with Secret Chiefs 3.

Really fun show in Portland last weekend. Riffs/overall guitar-ing is somewhat STOCK (Lars voice), but Patton and Lombardo killed it. Secret Chiefs totally killed it.
phpBB [media]
Angus Jung
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby Boombats on Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:41 am

Yes I am anxiously awaiting their two nights in NYC. I love that Trey and Mike are doing shows again, albeit in separate bands. I also love that they had to cancel a recent show because Mike hurt himself while skateboarding to the gig. Dude is 50 and still skates.
Escape Rope / Blxck Onion / Black Mesa
warmowski wrote:Fire back, absolutely, always and forever no matter how much it blows Andy's mind.
Boombats
Analingus Eggnog

Postby Angus Jung on Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:51 pm

SC3's bass player for this tour is playing a 5-string, using a lot of envelope filter, and is huge in the mix.
Angus Jung
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby 154 on Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:17 pm

The Dead Cross live clips look fun for what it is, but the 3 part FNM-like harmonies kill it for me. Barbershop quartet at the wrong gig..
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap