High on Fire?

Crap
13%
Not Crap
87%

Total votes : 151

Re: Band: High on Fire

Postby numberthirty on Thu May 21, 2015 3:19 am

Andrew. wrote:It can be annoying when someone says a band is repeating themselves when the thing that they do is undeniably great and singular, but there's literally nothing new here. Every part of this song sounds just like one of their previous songs. That wasn't true on the last album.

I'm hoping there's a few tracks that take some different turns. I'm not expecting it to be as good as the last album, but it'll still be good.

That they stuck with Kurt/God City plays up this aspect of the new jamz.
154 wrote:Are you in Voivod or something?
numberthirty
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby Riff Magnum on Fri May 22, 2015 11:40 am

I can't be mad at them if they don't top "De Vermis." That's a goddamn great album from start to finish.
Riff Magnum
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity

Postby Andrew. on Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:55 pm

Kinda wish music writers wouldn't ask Pike about his lyrics and world theories.

Lyrically, I think this is the album that's going to basically get secret people to shoot me. Dude, I say a lot of fucked-up shit! [Laughs] It's not even like, wake up and smell the coffee; it's like, dude, wake up and realize that it's not a theory anymore – it's a fucking conspiracy fact. We're being manipulated on a daily basis. And yes, 9/11 was an inside job, but that's like the least of my fucking worries. That was so that everybody could piss on the Constitution. Everybody's gonna see when they have fucking FEMA camps and the military takes over the general populace. It's gonna be fucked up. And it's gonna be NATO; it's not going to be American military. Because the minute a bunch of marines realize that they're violating the constitution that they swore to defend, there's going to be a problem – so NATO will come in and make that not a problem.

But that's all human-on-human insanity. Do you feel that there is an alien component behind all of this?
Yeah. They've lived amongst us since Ancient Sumer. It's documented, and they knew about all the planets on their way in from the outer solar system. Dude, it's documented that they lived alongside us! The Epic of Gilgamesh, for instance.

How did you start getting interested in this stuff?
I read a David Icke book, and it kind of woke me up a little bit. It doesn't mean that I believe everything David Icke has to say, but I definitely don't disagree with the guy when it comes to certain esoteric aspects of how I perceive the world. There's too many credible people who have been abducted by aliens. There's too many things that have been written in ancient scrolls and ancient tablets, things that Zecharia Sitchin brought to light. I've been to Peru, I've been to Egypt. . . a civilization builds ziggurats and pyramids that we couldn't build today, and you're going to tell me that they used stone-age building materials? It doesn't make any sense. There's a lost history of mankind; I find it fascinating, and I tend to sing about it.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/featu ... 608?page=2
Andrew.
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby numberthirty on Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:04 pm

What about Matt Pike says he would do anything except see it that way?
numberthirty

Postby Andrew. on Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:19 pm

You can tell some dudes take nasty shits. They eat badly, don't exercise, etc. That's fine. Doesn't mean you want someone to come along and ask them to describe their shits in detail. HoF lyrics have never mattered to me in the least. I just hear bits and pieces of them amidst the riffs. It's perfect that way. I don't need to know about all the background stupidity in detail. "When the marines realize they're violating the constitution, that's when NATO will step in to put everyone in camps." Shit is even dumber than the secret history of aliens stuff.

But ditching classes to drop acid when his brain was still developing gave us the music he makes, so hey. It all worked out in any case.
Andrew.

Postby Johnny C on Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:10 am

Do you think the High on Fire dudes take nasty shits? Probably, right?
Rick Reuben wrote:None of us is the person we were supposed to be.

these estates | architects & builders | delta throats | plywood | oiseaux
Johnny C

Postby Angus Jung on Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:17 pm

I wouldn't go near a bathroom for a good hour if I knew Pike had been in there. Even sober Pike.
Angus Jung
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby agiant on Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:23 pm

Andrew. wrote:

It can be annoying when someone says a band is repeating themselves when the thing that they do is undeniably great and singular, but there's literally nothing new here. Every part of this song sounds just like one of their previous songs. That wasn't true on the last album.

I'm hoping there's a few tracks that take some different turns. I'm not expecting it to be as good as the last album, but it'll still be good.

Meanwhile, the sound quality here is so awful that this won't be of interest to anyone but major fans, but this is great footage from 98 or 99. Good for seeing the young Kensel in action as much as Pike.

phpBB [media]

Kramer 650G on fire! I didn't know that he was a lummie user lol :mrgreen:
blah
agiant
future member of good charlotte

Postby Andrew. on Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:13 pm

Angus Jung wrote:I wouldn't go near a bathroom for a good hour if I knew Pike had been in there. Even sober Pike.

HoF played a club in Vancouver that had no separate performer bathroom and Pike came in to take a slash while I was in there. Both urinals were occupied (one by me), so he went into a stall to piss. A chubby fan cornered Pike and when Pike went into the stall, the guy walked into the next stall and kept talking to him over the divider. "Man, I can't even tell you. Your music. I've been through so much shit, you know, and your music helped me through. " This was right before their set. This awkward dude is over-sharing to Pike over the divider from the next stall while Pike pisses. And dude was perfectly gracious. Never got angry, acknowledged the guy throughout the whole awkward thing. "Cool, man. Thank you. Right on. I know what it's like."

Pike basically brushed into me as he finished pissing and left the stall, and I asked him if "10,000 Years" was in their set. He said no, but they were thinking of adding it back in soon. I think they did the next tour.
Andrew.

Postby jimmy two hands on Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:42 pm

Andrew. wrote:
Angus Jung wrote:I wouldn't go near a bathroom for a good hour if I knew Pike had been in there. Even sober Pike.

HoF played a club in Vancouver that had no separate performer bathroom and Pike came in to take a slash while I was in there. Both urinals were occupied (one by me), so he went into a stall to piss. A chubby fan cornered Pike and when Pike went into the stall, the guy walked into the next stall and kept talking to him over the divider. "Man, I can't even tell you. Your music. I've been through so much shit, you know, and your music helped me through. " This was right before their set. This awkward dude is over-sharing to Pike over the divider from the next stall while Pike pisses. And dude was perfectly gracious. Never got angry, acknowledged the guy throughout the whole awkward thing. "Cool, man. Thank you. Right on. I know what it's like."

Pike basically brushed into me as he finished pissing and left the stall, and I asked him if "10,000 Years" was in their set. He said no, but they were thinking of adding it back in soon. I think they did the next tour.

But peeing is different than pooping, smell-wise.
Glad he's a stand-up dude (no pun intended).
banjo.comics.pigfuck.stoner metal.rock operas.

AudioTruth wrote:Everything I buy from other brands break after a couple years, this is because they are only interested in making money. I'm only interested in long-lasting eargasms.
jimmy two hands

Postby Plastic Eggs on Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:18 pm

Any thoughts on the new one?
Plastic Eggs
gus hansen
gus hansen

Postby Andrew. on Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:30 pm

It's good but I think it's their first album that doesn't add anything new to the mix. And fair enough. Seventh album in 15 years. Pike has even said that this is them digging in to what they do more than pushing out.

There's a more pop sensibility to the vocals, melodically and in the mix. It works, but my love of the band is more in the instrument tones, so it doesn't really add much for me. Makes me wish things opened up and took some different turns instrumentally. Songs could stretch out more rather than just riding the same riffs and verses (I think a consistent referent for me is "Last" off the first album -- letting things breathe a bit without worrying about being rhythmically punishing).

I think the guitar solos are one of the weakest elements of the album. And the decision to double up every solo actually cheapens their force imho. It's one thing to double the leads on a few tracks, but doing it on every song throws things.

The last album was basically impossible to surpass. But this still absolutely slays and makes so many other metal bands with cred look like pretenders. Part of the thing about HOF for me is that they run so deep. Even if the lyrics are idiotic everything about the music and the people making it runs real deep, comes from a real place. I'm curious how this album will stand up over time compared to the rest of their catalogue, but there's no question it's fucking great.

I wish the drums were more prominent in the mix.
Andrew.

Postby Riff Magnum on Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:02 am

Pretty much how i feel about it.
I assumed since they went with Kurt Ballou again, it would sound very similar to "De Vermis," but it doesn't really. It's second tier HOF, but i like it better the more i hear it.
Riff Magnum

Postby El Protoolio on Fri Jul 03, 2015 4:21 pm

Totally bought tickets to see them with Pallbearer next month. So stoked.
El Protoolio
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby Andrew. on Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:28 pm

El Protoolio wrote:Totally bought tickets to see them with Pallbearer next month. So stoked.

I think I've seen them four times. Always great. For me nothing will top seeing them at the Biltmore Cabaret in Vancouver. 50-year-old hotel basement lounge with a capacity of like 200 or something. Was nuts.
Andrew.

Postby numberthirty on Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:35 pm

Seems like they may be heading into an "Orgasmatron" stretch. That said, there is some very solid stuff there on the new record.
numberthirty

Postby El Protoolio on Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:26 pm

I've never seen them. I am kind of excited.
El Protoolio
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby Andrew. on Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:47 pm

Fuck yeah.
Andrew.

Postby agiant on Sat Jul 04, 2015 5:43 am

I saw them last Tuesday (first time). The sound was awful, but they fucking rock. Witchery and tattooed beer bellies, NC!

It's interesting how Pike's gear changes. This time, he was playing through Orange and Engl amps.
blah
agiant

Postby WeStartToDrift on Sat Jul 04, 2015 7:32 am

agiant wrote:I saw them last Tuesday (first time). The sound was awful, but they fucking rock. Witchery and tattooed beer bellies, NC!

It's interesting how Pike's gear changes. This time, he was playing through Orange and Engl amps.

He's ditched the Soldanos?

The new album is kind of a let-down... I'll have to revisit it in a couple of days, but it wasn't the steamroller album I thought it'd be.
WeStartToDrift
hindu
hindu

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap