Kraftwerk: Krap?

Nein! Gut!
88%
Ja, scheiße.
12%

Total votes : 138

Re: Kraftwerk

Postby El Protoolio on Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:31 pm

stewie wrote:Interview with Ralf Hütter in Rolling Stone.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... t-20150826

That was awesome and in my head I read his answers in a fake German accent.
El Protoolio
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby stewie on Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:33 pm

That was an *excellent* live show.

Hearing "Man Machine" and "Radioactivity" live were highlights. The sound was absolutely massive, completely encompassing and insanely tight.

Lived up to all my expectations, and then some.
stewie
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby LizardPod on Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:40 pm

Very much NC. This band is amazing!
LizardPod
general studio assistant
general studio assistant

Postby rayword45 on Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:32 pm

I assume you saw the show at the Wang Theatre? My personal show highlight was Metropolis, doesn't seem like they play that one too often.
rayword45
chuck close
chuck close

Postby stewie on Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:56 pm

rayword45 wrote:I assume you saw the show at the Wang Theatre? My personal show highlight was Metropolis, doesn't seem like they play that one too often.

Yeah, that's where I saw them. And yes, Metropolis was outstanding. I finally "got" that song, thanks to the excellent visuals. Add the sterility and repetitive nature of the one-word lyrics to the images of never-ending grey dystopian buildings and it really worked as an overall concept.

Seems like they turned the volume way down for "Neon Lights" in the middle, though. Then they cranked it way up right afterwards for "Radioactivity", so maybe they were trying to enhance the impact of the latter through volume contrast.
stewie
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby placeholder on Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:05 pm

Saw them at the Ryman in Nashville the weekend before last. It was one of the best shows I've ever seen.

NOT CRAP forever.
placeholder
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby Ike on Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:11 pm

Placeholder, I'm glad the seats were okay. I was thinking about you that night.
Ike
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity

Postby mackro on Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:38 pm

I have the highest respect for Kraftwerk.. the material from 1970 to 1981 is truly a foundation.

I wish I could get excited about the recent Kraftwerk shows. :(

I was lucky to see them live in 2004 touring for the "Tour De France Soundtracks" album, and that was great because it was my first time seeing them live, and probably for almost everyone else there. The recent shows have been basically that 2004 tour with a few changes minus Florian.

(To be fair, I saw Kraftwerk last year just days after the Devo HARDCORE tour, and just days before New Order here in Seattle. The Devo show alone set up unrealistically high expectations for both the Kraftwerk and New Order shows.)
"Pro Tools is too California Hollywood bullshit.”
mackro
meatball enthusiast
meatball enthusiast

Postby ::: on Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:58 pm

mackro wrote:I have the highest respect for Kraftwerk.. the material from 1970 to 1981 is truly a foundation.

I wish I could get excited about the recent Kraftwerk shows. :(

I was lucky to see them live in 2004 touring for the "Tour De France Soundtracks" album, and that was great because it was my first time seeing them live, and probably for almost everyone else there. The recent shows have been basically that 2004 tour with a few changes minus Florian.

(To be fair, I saw Kraftwerk last year just days after the Devo HARDCORE tour, and just days before New Order here in Seattle. The Devo show alone set up unrealistically high expectations for both the Kraftwerk and New Order shows.)

It's too bad you didn't enjoy the Kraftwerk show, mackro. I have the advantage, if it is one, of not having seen them in 2004, and although their show in 2008 is a bit foggy in memory due to other circumstances that night, it was a fully immersive aural and visual experience, and surprisingly emotional, even warm, at least in terms of the audience's response. It wasn't IN 3D!, however. Was the 3D visual stuff cheesy, in your opinion?
:::
man forced to eat beard
man forced to eat beard

Postby mackro on Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:45 am

::: wrote:It's too bad you didn't enjoy the Kraftwerk show, mackro. I have the advantage, if it is one, of not having seen them in 2004, and although their show in 2008 is a bit foggy in memory due to other circumstances that night, it was a fully immersive aural and visual experience, and surprisingly emotional, even warm, at least in terms of the audience's response. It wasn't IN 3D!, however. Was the 3D visual stuff cheesy, in your opinion?

I didn't think the effects was cheesy, but I don't remember the 3D effects being particularly paramount to the experience of the show. Granted, I don't really care for 3D, so I'm probably the wrong person to ask.

Another factor is seeing late 70s/early 80s Kraftwerk footage, which is incredible... the downside of YouTube is realizing what you missed, and fictionally comparing it to what you can only now actually see live, for some legendary acts.
"Pro Tools is too California Hollywood bullshit.”
mackro
meatball enthusiast
meatball enthusiast

Postby placeholder on Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:13 pm

Ike wrote:Placeholder, I'm glad the seats were okay. I was thinking about you that night.

I was pissed off when I got there, but I swooped some better seats!
placeholder

Postby ::: on Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:16 pm

mackro wrote:I didn't think the effects was cheesy, but I don't remember the 3D effects being particularly paramount to the experience of the show. Granted, I don't really care for 3D, so I'm probably the wrong person to ask.

Another factor is seeing late 70s/early 80s Kraftwerk footage, which is incredible... the downside of YouTube is realizing what you missed, and fictionally comparing it to what you can only now actually see live, for some legendary acts.

I agree that the 3D effects, though kinda cool and fun imo (and funny to have to wear those cardboard 3D glasses), were inessential.

I haven't watched all that much YouTube video of Kraftwerk in the late '70s / early '80s, and what bits I have seen were on YouTube several years ago; I'm sure there's much more now. I guess I know what I'll be watching and listening to this weekend.
man forced to eat beard
man forced to eat beard

Postby stewie on Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:51 pm

To prove they weren't just checking their email up on stage:

phpBB [media]
stewie
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby ::: on Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:08 pm

Awesome, stewie. Was curious about their setup. I hardly know what any of that even is, but it fulfilled my expectations of how it might look.
man forced to eat beard
man forced to eat beard

Postby El Protoolio on Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:01 pm

Ralf basically just has a synth and MIDI controller. Next two dudes each had oscillators and drum and sample pads and synths with dude right next to Ralf also rocking a MIDI controller, aka a keyboard, and dude to the far right is controlling all the video and possibly also triggering audio samples and sequences on a pad but the pad could also be triggering video effects. All of them have displays of one sort or another. Ralf is singing live with triggered background vocals.

Very cool and satisfied my curiousity after seeing Wednesday night's show with ::: who also scored us 9th row center seats.
El Protoolio
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby Big John on Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:41 pm

Kraftwerk ready to put out a 3-D blue ray of their 3D concerts;

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2015/a ... utumn-2015

Sometimes they look up lyrics or email when they play, as you can imagine it is hard to find a good curry wurst place on tour.

phpBB [media]
Big John
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby harpseal2 on Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:21 pm

A truly great band. I don't listen to them often enough as I should, but they really are one of the best bands around.

Not crap.
scarnon
harpseal2
a² + b² = c²
a² + b² = c²

Postby Marsupialized on Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:32 pm

phpBB [media]
Marsupialized
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Location: Chicago, over by Grand and Halsted. Fulton River district, I guess?

Postby Redline on Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:52 am

1981 rig, fun EMS gear, where's the Texas Instruments Speak and Spell?
Redline
World's Greatest Lover
World's Greatest Lover

Postby boilermaker on Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:00 pm

German school kids sing Kraftwerk. Not Crap!

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 14651.html
boilermaker
back door man
back door man

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap