Afghan Whigs?

Crap
22%
Not Crap
78%

Total votes : 132

Re: Band: Afghan Whigs

Postby Isabelle Gall on Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:48 pm

Bernardo wrote:Am I the first to say John Belushi?

No.

And this band reformed just so Dulli could star in the 120 Minutes November Rain.
Isabelle Gall
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby Andy on Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:00 pm

All I could think of in his scenes in the limo was The Colonel from Boogie Nights.

Andy
Leader with Extraordinary Personality
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Postby Major on Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:03 am

I caved. Pressed play on the "Algiers" video and opened a new tab because music videos are fucking stupid to begin with. I think it is a fine song but when I started hearing WHIPS-A-CRACKIN' I shut it down. I'm sure if I actually watched the video I wouldn't have made it 30 seconds.

I'm still excited but goddamn no Rick McCollum.
Major
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby Bill Swansea on Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:52 pm

Song''s actually ok. The video.. well I'd expect nothing less from a man who once did a music video that consisted almost entirely of him singing into the camera while mounted by a topless woman... in 1992.
big_dave wrote:Hark at this boy and his "we".

He was Welsh yesterday.
Bill Swansea
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby Gramsci on Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:16 pm

Bill Swansea wrote:Song''s actually ok. The video.. well I'd expect nothing less from a man who once did a music video that consisted almost entirely of him singing into the camera while mounted by a topless woman... in 1992.

Agreed, I'd like to hear the song in the context of the album. That's is not a terrible song, but if that's the "hit" then it doesn't bode well for the rest.

Mind to be made up once the album's out.
clocker bob may 30, 2006 wrote:I think the possibility of interbreeding between an earthly species and an extraterrestrial species is as believable as any other explanation for the existence of George W. Bush.
Gramsci
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby Gramsci on Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:25 am

Tour

South America

May 20 Buenos Aires, Argentina Teatro Opera
May 22 São Paulo, Brazil Audio
May 23 Porto Alegre, Brazil Bar Opinao
May 25 Santiago, Chile Amanda
clocker bob may 30, 2006 wrote:I think the possibility of interbreeding between an earthly species and an extraterrestrial species is as believable as any other explanation for the existence of George W. Bush.
Gramsci
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby Major on Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:41 am

Gramsci wrote:
Bill Swansea wrote:Song''s actually ok. The video.. well I'd expect nothing less from a man who once did a music video that consisted almost entirely of him singing into the camera while mounted by a topless woman... in 1992.

Agreed, I'd like to hear the song in the context of the album. That's is not a terrible song, but if that's the "hit" then it doesn't bode well for the rest.

I was at a bar yesterday with an internet jukebox. "Algiers" was available so I played it. I like that song.

Sub Pop sent me a link to stream the album but I deleted it. Waiting for the record to show up.
Major
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby Gramsci on Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:35 am

Major wrote:
Gramsci wrote:

I was at a bar yesterday with an internet jukebox. "Algiers" was available so I played it. I like that song.

Sub Pop sent me a link to stream the album but I deleted it. Waiting for the record to show up.

I think part of the problem is that music videos are on the whole awful. Many a band has made themselves look like dipshits via the medium of MTV.
Gramsci
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby Major on Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:19 am

My record showed up a week ago and tonight was the night to spin it.

This is a great record. It's no Black Love or Gentlemen, but I wasn't expecting it to be. I definitely dig it more than 1965 or any of the Twilight Singers albums.

Curious about the touring lineup. They posted their Coachella setlist on Twitter and "Fountain & Fairfax" was included along with "My Enemy". If the current guitarist can pull off McCollum's shit on those two, then Ima buy some tickets.
Major
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby Eugenius on Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:47 am

Are any of the other PNW PRFers going to be at the show in Portland tonight?
EuroFop
I play bass and sometimes sing in Glass Cat
Eugenius
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness

Postby musicgrl on Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:51 am

Major wrote:This is a great record.

Agreed! I especially love the last 3 songs.

Major wrote:Curious about the touring lineup.

Jon Skibic has been added on guitar, along with Dave Rosser who was on the 2012 tour. Here's a snippet of My Enemy from the first show of the tour for the new album. Crappy YT vid quality, but I think the guitars sound pretty good?

phpBB [media]
musicgrl
warren spahn
warren spahn

Postby musicgrl on Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:56 am

Another snippet of from the first show - Fountain and Fairfax

phpBB [media]
Last edited by musicgrl on Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
musicgrl
warren spahn
warren spahn

Postby Gramsci on Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:34 pm

After a couple of listens this is a fine album to add to their catalogue, to be honest it sounds like a natural progression from 1965, it could have been recorded a couple of years after, not 16 years.

Rick McCollum's absence is very notable, sadly. But overall this is a lot better than I was expecting and seems to be getting better on repeat listening. There are very few reformed bands I can think of that could have pulled this off after hitting such highs with previous work. Topping Gentlemen or Black Love just wasn't going to happen but so far I'm thinking this is much better than 1965.
Gramsci
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby musicgrl on Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:58 am

Eugenius wrote:Are any of the other PNW PRFers going to be at the show in Portland tonight?

Did you make it? I was there and thought it was fantastic.
musicgrl
warren spahn
warren spahn

Postby ::: on Sat Jun 13, 2015 12:44 pm

Josh in Chicago wrote:[T]he Afghan Whigs were sleazy. That's an important distinction to make. Worth reading Bob Gendron's excellent 33 1/3 on Gentlemen. I guess a lot of the vox were done in one night, with Dulli cranked up on coke, trying to impress a stripper. Iirc.

http://ilxor.com/ILX/ThreadSelectedCont ... adid=92406

I saw them in Amsterdam in March 1994, just for something to do that evening. I was never a particular fan but they seemed energetic and into what they were doing, at least (and if that sounds like faint praise, I suppose it is). Their songs tended to sound a bit samey iirc, but they were still going full tilt when we left after two hours. The Paradiso is beautiful and the acoustics were great, if a trifle echoey, so the venue did them justice and then some.

John Darnielle wrote:It is willfully perverse [...] and more than a little impressed with itself. [...] Gentlemen was going to impress you or die trying.

http://lastplanetojakarta.com/articles/gentlemen.html
:::
man forced to eat beard
man forced to eat beard

Postby Mick Shrimpton on Sun May 15, 2016 1:28 pm

The Afghan Whigs are a lot like a plate of Cincinnati Chili. Dulli is the greasy chili that sprays all over your shirt. The bass and drum guys are the oyster crackers and shredded sharp cheddar; nice on top, but not integral. And guitarist Rick McCollum is the spaghetti that holds everything together. This explains why the reunion album sounds like a bowl of soupy diarrhea.
Mick Shrimpton
star
star

Postby lewdjaw on Fri May 20, 2016 8:06 am

Not totally sold on "adult" era AW with the whole Dulli as lounge lizard Brandoesque ladies' man thing. Although I liked Gentlemen alright, esp. the guitar and drums. Wish I'd never seen the music video, though.

I remember hearing "Retarded" on a Sub Pop comp back in the day, that song made me want to play some rock music. Jerky dissonant riff, weird leads and screaming "yeah" as a chorus. NC
lewdjaw
vice president
vice president

Postby Gramsci on Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:24 am

phpBB [media]

Solid, nothing new, very 1965.
Gramsci
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby Major on Mon May 01, 2017 9:58 am

Tour dates out today. They are playing down the street from my house. I'll get to walk to an Afghan Whigs show. Yeah.

I think my LP arrived this weekend, but haven't heard a note of it. I'm sure it's great.
Major
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby SarahThePerson on Mon May 08, 2017 4:44 pm

Lately I just have to play their cover of Tyrone Davis "I Keep Coming Back," the "Superlove" cover and "I Hear a Symphony" every day to get going. I'm not proud of it. Tis what tis
SarahThePerson
timex
timex

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap