Total votes : 51

Re: Nerd: Elon Musk

Postby 154 on Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:00 am

dbl. post
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby Dudley on Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:18 am

andyman wrote:I suspect he's fallen into the trap of listening to his fanbase and with that pedo tweet it seems like he let his Internet personality bleed into real life. Dummy.

Not really knowing about his fanbase or his internet personality, I kinda guessed coke or some sort of personality disorder.

All this because he knows more about what it's like inside a cave system that he's never been in than a man who has? Ooof.
Seby wrote:How does the sting of marginalisation taste now, you pick-using oppressors?
Dudley
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby honeyisfunny on Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:30 am

This - more than Trump spouting off - is why Twitter needs to be shot into space on fire.
Guy is a hero and rescues a load of kids but someone has the means to call them a paedo for an audience of millions.
Way out is the way out
honeyisfunny
Guardian Diety of the Planet
Guardian Diety of the Planet

Postby jimmy two hands on Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:38 am

Dude has a shitload of money and hires employees who do the heavy lifting and are smart and he overworks them and stiffs them. As for being a genius visionary, his brilliant ideas so far have been:

-Fly several hundred people to settle on Mars in spaceships about the size of Boeing 747s
-Solve the traffic problems in LA by building tunnels that have freeways in them
-Solve the housing crisis by making bricks out of the dirt and rocks from the tunnels he dug (which will totally work because brick buildings are less labor intensive than wood or steel frame buildings and you can use just any old dirt to make bricks and don't need to have the brick kiln very close to the raw material source to make it cost effective and the insane cost of housing is due to material costs rather than real estate speculation and shady landlords)
-Save kids trapped in a cave by building a submarine out of a rocket tube that's too large to maneuver through the passageways (and when called out on that accuse the people with expertise of being pædophiles)
-Solve the Flint water crisis by giving water filters to the houses still testing above the lead limit (though the lead levels are high enough that filters aren't effective in removing to safe levels)

Having a billion dollars and writing out some shit on a napkin during a coke binge is very much not the same thing as being a visionary genius.
banjo.comics.pigfuck.stoner metal.rock operas.

AudioTruth wrote:Everything I buy from other brands break after a couple years, this is because they are only interested in making money. I'm only interested in long-lasting eargasms.
jimmy two hands
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby kokorodoko on Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:49 am

Since seeing him doing an April's fool that his company had gone bankrupt, thus sinking his own stock, I was thinking not crap.

Reading about the Thailand incident, I thought "This guy's an idiot".

Which reminded me of that unicorn drawing he nicked from somebody without giving credit, and then saying that suing him would be "kinda lame". Who the hell talks like that? What is wrong with his attitude?
VaticanShotglass wrote:In elementary school some kids learned my middle name was Conrad, which they took to be synonymous with what Soviets called each other in action movies.
kokorodoko
treaty of versailles
treaty of versailles

Postby jimmy two hands on Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:07 am

kokorodoko wrote:Since seeing him doing an April's fool that his company had gone bankrupt, thus sinking his own stock, I was thinking not crap.

Reading about the Thailand incident, I thought "This guy's an idiot".

Which reminded me of that unicorn drawing he nicked from somebody without giving credit, and then saying that suing him would be "kinda lame". Who the hell talks like that? What is wrong with his attitude?

Oh yeah I forgot he stole that drawing and said he's compensating him with exposure, that was cute.

AudioTruth wrote:Everything I buy from other brands break after a couple years, this is because they are only interested in making money. I'm only interested in long-lasting eargasms.
jimmy two hands

Postby andyman on Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:10 am

kokorodoko wrote:Which reminded me of that unicorn drawing he nicked from somebody without giving credit, and then saying that suing him would be "kinda lame". Who the hell talks like that? What is wrong with his attitude?

I think he's trying to stay a "laid back tech dude" which you can't really do when you're the head of a multi-million dollar company.
offal wrote:I just want to be able to play bitchin' single-stroke rolls before I die
andyman

Postby warmowski on Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:53 am

dbl post for some reason
Last edited by warmowski on Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
warmowski
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness

Postby warmowski on Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:58 am

FMJ2H wrote:Having a billion dollars and writing out some shit on a napkin during a coke binge is very much not the same thing as being a visionary genius.

Countersigned.

And about that billion dollars: basically every single douchebag whose fortune comes from public subsidy yet whose rhetoric is that utterly tired bootstrappy horseshit can get fucked.

-r
warmowski

Postby Auntie Ovipositor on Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:34 pm

warmowski wrote:And about that billion dollars: basically every single douchebag whose fortune comes from public subsidy yet whose rhetoric is that utterly tired bootstrappy horseshit can get fucked.

Well... that ignores the mountains of cash he made as part of the PayPal Mafia. Which, to me, is actually worse than taking public subsidies to build electric cars and solar panels.

Ultimately I think the guy thinks technology will save us from whatever bad behavior we engage in, sorta like a tech Thomas Aquinas. It's not an uncommon view in Silicon Valley, and it seems directly related to the Human Potential bs that still lingers on this coast. And it's gross.

Not to defend Musk (he is shitty), but he has been involved in some positive things. Like putting all of the Tesla patents in the public domain. He's also pumped a lot of money into research over which he has no control (which is where the government should be spending it's money instead of on subsidizing his factories, but that's another story). The submarine and tunnel engineering he's bankrolled is genuinely innovative and has a lot of potential (caveat: a friend who spent decades working on micro subs owes his ongoing work to Musk's money (he had taken a job at TJs after state and federal money dried up), and another friend's son is an engineer who works on making real world tunneling equipment. Neither has met Musk for more than a few minutes, both wouldn't be doing what they're doing if it weren't for Musk's investment of his ill-gotten fortunes). I have no idea how responsible he personally is for those things, and doubt he can claim credit for the worthwhile parts of any of those projects. But he's put a lot of money into them, and ultimately I think to good ends.

I hope the wheat gets separated from the chaff over time, but history is soaked through with good and innovative events tied to truly horrible people.
The Loyalists are a rock band from Oakland, California
Auntie Ovipositor
Leader with Extraordinary Personality
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Postby pldms on Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:22 pm

pldms
that guy from the opening band
that guy from the opening band

Postby flytox on Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:24 pm

I kind of like him for warning about the uncontrollable consequences of letting artificial intelligence refine itself.

But whenever I read about him I think: his activities and his name remind me of some stereotype of a villain in a 70s or 80s adventure cartoon show. Come on. A shady billionaire called ELON MUSK? Even Marvel would have rejected this.
flytox
ella fitzgerald
ella fitzgerald

Postby jimmy two hands on Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:31 pm

flytox wrote:I kind of like him for warning about the uncontrollable consequences of letting artificial intelligence refine itself.

But whenever I read about him I think: his activities and his name remind me of some stereotype of a villain in a 70s or 80s adventure cartoon show. Come on. A shady billionaire called ELON MUSK? Even Marvel would have rejected this.

If he pulls some straight up Hank Scorpio shit, I'll change my vote to Not Crap.

jimmy two hands

Postby Anthony Flack on Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:17 pm

Well, he does have a flame thrower; Hank Scorpio's weapon of choice if you remember.
Anthony Flack
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby dontfeartheringo on Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:19 pm

jimmy two hands wrote:compensating him with exposure

Isn't "exposure" what you die of when you can't pay the rent?

Anthony Flack wrote:The sax would be a cool instrument if people would only stop making it go burrrrrBLEEEEEE.
dontfeartheringo
Master of Cunnilingus
Master of Cunnilingus

Postby iembalm on Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:38 pm

Anyone who calls me a pedophile in a roomful of people, let alone an eight-digit audience, is getting punched in the fucking mouth. That's not going to happen to Musk, of course, but I'd love to see it.
iembalm
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby Anthony Flack on Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:53 pm

I think what we might see instead is Elon Musk getting sued for fucking defamation.
Anthony Flack
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby VaticanShotglass on Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:42 pm

jimmy two hands wrote:Having a billion dollars and writing out some shit on a napkin during a coke binge is very much not the same thing as being a visionary genius.

warmowski wrote:And about that billion dollars: basically every single douchebag whose fortune comes from public subsidy yet whose rhetoric is that utterly tired bootstrappy horseshit can get fucked.

Auntie Ovipositor wrote:Ultimately I think the guy thinks technology will save us from whatever bad behavior we engage in, sorta like a tech Thomas Aquinas. It's not an uncommon view in Silicon Valley, and it seems directly related to the Human Potential bs that still lingers on this coast. And it's gross.

I really agree. I'm going to pick at the guy from a slightly different angle. Maybe the thought can be refined or corrected if I'm too jumbled on this. Anyway, I'm really annoyed with the guy's whole approach to techno-salvation. For an obvious example, look at his aspirations about saving people by putting them on Mars. Clearly, this is not saving poor people on Mars unless the initial conditions are actually so undesirable that's all they could get. But just look at his approach to electric cars. He makes those sporty cool models, but the general viability of electric cars is still pretty cruddy in all but select locations. This isn't all his or his company's fault. The Federal and State governments are a reall headache on electric cars. But we needed an electric Model-T a decade ago (speaking of problematic industrialists...).

That's not just an engineering problem but a social and cultural one as well. Still, I'd like to see this prick a little more concerned that America is still very much a nation gas chugging trucks for daily commuting. There is no reason fuel efficiency can't be better here, but the market isn't driving the change. I was talking to a kid a while back who has a new smallish ford sedan that gets far, far worse gas mileage than my 20 year old Toyota. It is damned near as bad as the 1966 V8 Mustang I drove in Highschool. The glut of full size pickups do get much worse mileage.

I want to see these tech-masters pull of some real impressive engineering, not just whip up status item wind up toys for the well off.
VaticanShotglass
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom

Postby curry pervert on Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:42 pm

Highly unscientific but he has that Tony Blair insincere/can't be trusted look about him.
curry pervert
greek
greek

Postby Anthony Flack on Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:54 pm

I think he's a dick and his pathetic sulk when the Thai cave rescue turned out not to be all about him after all was very revealing.

I agree with all the pulled quotes above regarding Silicon Valley techo-libertarians. Makes me fucking sick to know that Peter Thiel was granted New Zealand citizenship, through a secret deal with the government, after spending a grand total of four days in the country. Those fuckers want to make my country their Randian bolt-hole. I can only hope that the eventual revelation of this fact and subsequent public outrage did contribute to getting that pack of clowns thrown out of office (if barely). But Peter Thiel is still a New Zealand citizen. God damn. When the time comes, don't expect us to take up pitchforks either, because they'll all be on private islands and places you can only reach by helicopter. Like they already are.

I do think that technology has a major role to play though, and how we choose to invest our research budget is going to make a big difference to where we end up.

The electric cars, the solar panels, the wall batteries, the grid batteries... I don't think any of that is wrong. I think they're all good, helpful, necessary contributions. That grid battery he built in Australia rubbed dog shit in the faces of all those coal-smoking fucks. I applaud that.

I don't think he's wrong to target the high end sports car market either. He didn't have the resources to compete at the bottom end of the market - when you're building cars in small runs they will inevitably be expensive - and electric cars at that time had a reputation for being weak, slow and lettucey that needed busting. He said he wanted to kick-start the electric vehicle market and he did. The cheap cars are starting to arrive from China now.

The Mars thing is not concerned with helping individual people, it's to ensure the long-term survival of the species in case of a total extinction event. They're basically human backup. Elon Musk is pursuing this now because the world is a game of Civ and he is determined to win it.

He is a dick, but he is at least a logical dick, which makes him an ally in some areas.
Anthony Flack
Present-day God
Present-day God

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap