Silkworm

Crap
12%
Not Crap
88%

Total votes : 286

Re: Band: Silkworm

Postby jbar on Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:36 pm

I don't think I've posted about SKWM yet, but this band has become very important to me since I first heard Firewater about 2 years ago. It's like an old friend that I can drink with, or dance with, or sit in silence with.

Thanks to everyone in this band for being so great.
jbar
chapman stick
chapman stick

Postby Verbs & Nouns on Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:26 am

Just watched Couldn't You Wait.

Fantastic documentary on an amazing band (that I discovered very, very late in the scheme of things).
Verbs & Nouns
alan's bitch
alan's bitch

Postby the Classical on Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:01 am

Verbs & Nouns wrote:Just watched Couldn't You Wait.

Fantastic documentary on an amazing band (that I discovered very, very late in the scheme of things).

If it makes you feel any better SKWM have always existed outside of time (for better & worse), even when they were an active band putting out new records they never seemed like a band of the moment, always too early or late.

So the upshot of discovering them now or ten yrs from now or twenty yrs ago is that is is always the right time.
the Classical
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love

Postby noise&light on Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:15 pm

Kudos to Silkworm for making the list and to Business Insider for getting it. Also, I'm amused by the rest of the list.

The most famous band of all-time from every state
There's no reason
To feel all the hard times
To lay down the hard lines
It's absolutely true
noise&light
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby Carl on Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:09 pm

Bumping to post the table of contents of a journal. Note the first title not in all caps.
(Yes, the issue date says 2013, but it just came out. Such is academic publishing.)

I did not rename that article. That was the author's choice, and it was deliberate. From the evidence, Silkworm has a niche audience of waste scholars, making Touch & Go's failure to send ostentatiously-packaged mini-CDs of "Dirty Air" to history and archaeology departments a missed opportunity.
dvockins wrote:That is the most pretentious bullshit I have heard in the last three years and I live in Brooklyn.
Carl
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom

Postby Ike on Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:19 pm

THAT'S MY LIFEBRO GOMIE!

Old school (maybe middle school?) SKWM fan. We'd drive all over the upper midwest to see them.

He's been talking about doing that for a while, and damn if he didn't pull it off.

Fucking great.
Ike
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity

Postby Carl on Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:28 pm

This world, it is tiny.
dvockins wrote:That is the most pretentious bullshit I have heard in the last three years and I live in Brooklyn.
Carl

Postby Ike on Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:33 pm

This is really cool. I hope you two can meet sometime. You'd dig him!
Ike

Postby Carl on Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:35 pm

We have caught up on Twitter, and I will certainly drop in on him if I make it back to Houghton!
Carl

Postby bdm on Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:09 pm

Not sure how I missed this thread before now.

Silkworm is one of my favorite bands of all time. Hanging neck in neck there with Guided by Voices and Fugazi. Arguably a little ahead of the others if only because I spent most of my teenage years really feeling like Silkworm was MY band. Myself and two of my high school buddies were the only people I knew who had even heard of them for years. I grew immensely attached to those records in my late teens and early 20s. I was an awestruck bumbling fanboy when I had the chance to talk to Andy Cohen for the first time at a New Year show at Rudyard's in Houston. By then I was already in my early/mid 20s but felt like a 14 year old trying to talk to him. He couldn't have been nicer or more welcoming. The dude is a guitar-god to me.

Lyrically there may be no one higher than the collective talents of Tim and Andy operating in our time. Seriously.
bdm
bobby fischer
bobby fischer

Postby mattw on Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:57 am

Curious about the vinyl status of Italian Platinum- my understanding is that an initial run of LPs came out, but it has since gone out of print. You can find a copy on eBay for like $60 (OBO). I know there was initially no LP for It'll Be Cool. I talked to Jon from Comedy Minus One and he's more than willing to put IP out again unless T & G steps up- like with Lifestyle and IBC.

I have to say, the vinyl of IBC is nice. Like with the IP vinyl, track order is tinkered with so that 'Penalty Box' starts out Side B, which is a good choice. It's emotional listening to 'The Operative' (which on the LP is not given the added moniker 'His Mark Replies'), because I remember seeing them play the song with Michael on 3rd guitar at SXSW in 2004- a nice time spent with JRLP, Tim Cook, and the 'worm in general, with Phelps/Downer Trio also playing that night . From what I recall, Michael played 'His Mark Replies' with his eyes closed the whole time and kinda looked like he does in the inner sleeve. That instrumental outro is so hypnotic and affecting; on a rainy night in Arizona- listening to it at a stoplight, it provided me with solace at a time of kinda crippling loneliness and being in a 'what's the next chapter?' sort of in-between mode. That last fading bit of feedback is kinda like 'OK, it's done now...time to move on to the next thing.'

I hate that Michael is gone, but those memories and their music is forever. It made a lasting impact on my life.
mattw
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents

Postby Parbuckle on Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:48 am

Silkworm are OK. If you like music.
Paragraph Eleven, Confirm
Parbuckle
chimp
chimp

Postby tmidgett on Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:52 pm

mattw wrote:Curious about the vinyl status of Italian Platinum- my understanding is that an initial run of LPs came out, but it has since gone out of print. You can find a copy on eBay for like $60 (OBO). I know there was initially no LP for It'll Be Cool. I talked to Jon from Comedy Minus One and he's more than willing to put IP out again unless T & G steps up- like with Lifestyle and IBC.

I have to say, the vinyl of IBC is nice. Like with the IP vinyl, track order is tinkered with so that 'Penalty Box' starts out Side B, which is a good choice. It's emotional listening to 'The Operative' (which on the LP is not given the added moniker 'His Mark Replies'), because I remember seeing them play the song with Michael on 3rd guitar at SXSW in 2004- a nice time spent with JRLP, Tim Cook, and the 'worm in general, with Phelps/Downer Trio also playing that night . From what I recall, Michael played 'His Mark Replies' with his eyes closed the whole time and kinda looked like he does in the inner sleeve. That instrumental outro is so hypnotic and affecting; on a rainy night in Arizona- listening to it at a stoplight, it provided me with solace at a time of kinda crippling loneliness and being in a 'what's the next chapter?' sort of in-between mode. That last fading bit of feedback is kinda like 'OK, it's done now...time to move on to the next thing.'

I hate that Michael is gone, but those memories and their music is forever. It made a lasting impact on my life.

Lovely, Matt. Thanks.

Italian Platinum LP reish is in the works. Probably fall or early 2019.
tmidgett
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby Verbs & Nouns on Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:33 pm

I know it’s been asked before, but who is Secona Lee?
Verbs & Nouns
alan's bitch
alan's bitch

Postby Trey on Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:25 pm

Verbs & Nouns wrote:I know it’s been asked before, but who is Secona Lee?

Did he just say Jean-Luc?
I'm like, whatever, it's fucking Houlihan

http://www.thegary.com
Trey
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby mattw on Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:15 am

Wow, great news TM! Will it be on T & G or CMO?
mattw

Postby jimmy spako on Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:09 pm

Trey wrote:

phpBB [media]

And they say Silkworm grates on the ladies.
Isabelle Gall wrote:'Do not go smoothly into that dark night'
jimmy spako
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge

Postby Verbs & Nouns on Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:22 pm

Trey wrote:

I’m confused.

I was asking about this:

Well stuck there on the D train where it heads above ground
Into a scene of blasted buildings
Where the drunks go to fall down
Starin' out the window asked about Secona Lee
"And Luke, do me a favor, never mention that to me"
Verbs & Nouns
alan's bitch
alan's bitch

Postby mattw on Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:43 am

Gosh, that Secona Lee. She'll get you every time. The author discusses it in this thread.

To me it never mattered who any of those people were- they were just characters populating a relatively consistent narrative throughout that album (Firewater). Drinking shows up a lot, but also kind of these lost people that are trying to figure it all out- drinking tries to push the memories away, but they still show up. Stupid lit degree analysis brain o' mine.
mattw

Postby a. james on Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:30 am

i made this mix cd for my best friend who put me on my first plane and flew me out to portland and drove me to seattle and bought me liquor and took me to rock shows and kept me in her house for a week.

it was a mix cd with a super subtle theme of me and her and that 20yrs. she's a saint. just always stuck to me and i am made of snot, so, ya know.

the last song on it is "don't look back." i made this cd for the long car ride i'd know we'd have. we grew tired of

1. iggy pop, lust for life prodigy remix
2. inxs, don't look back
3. pj harvey, dress (live '03)
4. jay reatard, no time
5. the ex, nem ugy van most
6. blondie, long time
7. the long blondes, weekend without makeup
8. pj harvey, rid of me (live '01)
9. pretenders, message of love
10. date of birth, velvet's texture
11. again song, that damned fly
12. colin newman, feigned hearing
13. the thermals, never listen to me
14. silkworm, don't look back.

these, so i had my ipod loaded with just everything else on my dumb computer. who even owns ipods anymore. "don't look back" came on my ipod after we tired of that mix. and she ranted on it. don't think i've ever been more hurt by her. kept my mouth shut.

silkworm, not crap. worth it for that rant.

"don't look back??? say something else!"
Marsupialized wrote:I am NOT sorry I yelled. I should have yelled louder.
a. james
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap