Elizabeth Warren

Not crap
65%
Crap
35%

Total votes : 48

2020 Trump Opponent: Elizabeth Warren

Postby Wood Goblin on Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:54 pm

Warren is apparently about to propose a wealth tax on Americans with more than $50 million in assets. Two really sharp economists (Emmanuel Saez and Gabriel Zucman) advised her on it.

Warren is my #1 choice.
Wood Goblin
Guardian Diety of the Planet

Re: 2020 Trump Opponent: Elizabeth Warren

Postby numberthirty on Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:58 pm

Obviously Not Crap(no judgement of how "Not Crap").

Seems like the candidate most likely to achieve some sort of change. No telling how much.
154 wrote:Are you in Voivod or something?
numberthirty
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby Boombats on Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:37 pm

Oofed into the next muthaOofin' century
Escape Rope / Blxck Onion / Black Mesa
warmowski wrote:Fire back, absolutely, always and forever no matter how much it blows Andy's mind.
Boombats
Analingus Eggnog

Postby Angus Jung on Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:47 pm

From Andrew Period's post on the Beto thread:

Votes to increase Trump's military budget:

Booker: 3
Brown: 3
Gabbard: 1
Gillibrand: 1
Harris: 2
Kaine: 3
Kennedy III: 1
Klobuchar: 3
Murphy: 3
O'Rourke: 3
Sanders: 0
Warren: 2

Embarrassing.

(All Democratic candidates for President are pretty much terrible and not the least bit 'progressive' on foreign policy and American imperialism. Bernie Sanders has improved a lot but still basically sucks - see his tepid statement on what looks to be a U.S. coup in Venezuela - but at least he made a statement, and at least his statement did condemn prior examples of U.S. behavior in South/Central America. He is still far better than anyone else in the field and that's why he should be the candidate. I suspect Warren is fully on board with 'regime change' in Venezuela and all the suffering it will inflict on an already deeply suffering population.)

(Tulsi Gabbard actually had the best response of anyone re: Venezuela but overall her politics are incoherent to me)

Then there was Warren's terribly tone-deaf attempt to prove her Native American ancestry. I think she has finally figured out that it's best to ignore Trump but it doesn't say a lot about her political instincts that it took that long.

Wealth tax proposal is great. Long-standing record of opposition to Wall Street/big banks is legit.
If she's the candidate I'll vote for her.
Angus Jung
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby numberthirty on Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:03 pm

When it comes to a more sensible approach to putting a leash on military spending/growth or the States involvement around the world, I've accepted that even Sanders with an otherwise mainstream Congress would probably amount to some scenario that is almost the same as every other possible scenario.

There is enough in the mix that any time where that picture will be noticeably different is probably still a long ways off. Never mind a time when it will look anything like progressive.
154 wrote:Are you in Voivod or something?
numberthirty
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby J. Burns on Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:19 pm

There are definitely plenty of nits to pick but I like her more than Beto or Harris. Less than Bernie but his age and the extent to which the 8%ers may or may not have poisoned the well may be a factor there.

Warren will need to figure out a way to get her message across to rust-belt folks and POC without coming across as being “lecturing.” That’s not how I perceive her but I know others do.

Not as radical as I would like, and not as “progressive” as she and many of her supporters think she is but if she gets the nom I’ll vote for her with a smile on my face. Less sure I’ll be caucusing for her though.
J. Burns
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby famousjunkie on Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:26 am

She has absolutely no chance of winning in this climate and if the democrats put all of their energy behind her, Trump will likely get another four years.
famousjunkie
grover
grover

Postby Andrew. on Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:17 pm

She has some crappy political instincts, like her idiotic DNA test or this bizarre section of her website: https://facts.elizabethwarren.com/

Was good to see her insist on the need for deep structural change in the USA in her campaign launch. A far cry from the "America is already great" DNC bullshit. I don't know how much fire and popularity she could kick up across the country or how well she'd do up against Trump. She already made a total ass of herself and offended a ton of Native Americans with the DNA test in response to his Pocahontas taunts, so not a good start.

She and Bernie are the only options for progressives. The rest of the candidates are trash imho.
Andrew.
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby blackmarket on Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:09 pm

Wood Goblin wrote:Warren is my #1 choice.

Gross.
blackmarket
not wearing any pants
not wearing any pants

Postby Redline on Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:20 pm

She's got the Jazz Hands for sure.
Redline
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby first2letters on Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:44 pm

famousjunkie wrote:She has absolutely no chance of winning in this climate and if the democrats put all of their energy behind her, Trump will likely get another four years.

I agree with this — the words "this climate" being the #1 thing that's swaying my decision. I also think that she was foolish to try to use science (DNA testing) to try to counter Trump's uninformed, knee-jerk characterization of her, or even to assume a defensive position on that issue in the first place. Trump plays brutal offense — whoever his opponent will be in 2020, they're going to have an incredibly hard time backing up their position with reason (the tool of the "elite").
Last edited by first2letters on Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
first2letters
wayne thiebaud
wayne thiebaud

Postby Wood Goblin on Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:09 pm

The DNA thing has already received negative press 10 times in excess of what it deserves. It’s another example of how the press lets the GOP set its agenda. Also an example of how bullshit transgressions by women are penalized more than serious transgressions by men.

Trump separates children from their parents and locks the children in cages. So please, tell me more about Warren’s poor judgement in getting a DNA test.
Wood Goblin

Postby Andrew. on Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:34 pm

Wood Goblin wrote:The DNA thing has already received negative press 10 times in excess of what it deserves. It’s another example of how the press lets the GOP set its agenda. Also an example of how bullshit transgressions by women are penalized more than serious transgressions by men.

I'm talking strictly in terms of Native Americans and their responses, not the GOP or anyone else. You're erasing their concerns. But then Indigenous people are quite accustomed to being erased by liberals.

Rebecca Nagle: Native ppl have been warning for years the racist jokes would get worse if Warren ran w/o renouncing her false claims to Cherokee heritage.

Now that our warning came true liberals are telling us to shut up. None of this would be happening if we had been listened to in 1st place

https://theintercept.com/2018/10/19/eli ... americans/

https://www.cbc.ca/news/indigenous/kim- ... -1.4863903

https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/15/opinions ... index.html
Andrew.
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby m3kcomp on Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:20 pm

famousjunkie wrote:She has absolutely no chance of winning in this climate and if the democrats put all of their energy behind her, Trump will likely get another four years.

None of the people who have announced they are running have a chance of beating Trump. None. People are fooling themselves if they think otherwise.

Just have to hope someone else will rise...

Bernie isn't the answer either. If you thought people hated Obama for the color of his skin, just wait until the anti-Semites rev their engines in a general election with Sanders as the Democratic nominee.
m3kcomp
sweeny todd
sweeny todd

Postby Wood Goblin on Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:29 pm

Andrew, I largely agree. But this issue has been mentioned in every single article about Warren. Do you think that’s because the press is suddenly concerned about giving a voice to the Cherokee Nation?

It went from serious but minor gaffe to emails, part two, in a nanosecond. And I’m not having it.
Wood Goblin

Postby 154 on Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:46 am

m3kcomp wrote:
famousjunkie wrote:She has absolutely no chance of winning in this climate* and if the democrats put all of their energy behind her, Trump will likely get another four years.

None of the people who have announced they are running have a chance of beating Trump. None. People are fooling themselves if they think otherwise.

Just have to hope someone else will rise...

Yeah.. but a lot is happening and can still happen: likely another shutdown looming, upper middle class people pissed off at their tax refunds or property tax deduction losses, volatile stock market... it's a pretty big assumption that Trump will pull the kind of numbers he did in 2016.

(I'm gonna assume the Mueller investigation and hidden tax returns will continue to not matter except to people who already hated him)

But it's true: none of the democrat candidates are a slam dunk at all. Sanders' populism is offset by people who continue to see him as a spoiler, and baffling moves like making a speech over a black woman isn't doing him any favors..

I'd vote for Warren.
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby warmowski on Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:33 am

I've said before that I like her in the Senate a lot. But I do not see her filling stadiums. Bernie fills stadiums.

About native heritage and her Texas bar application: over the years, I've considered changing my last name to my family name of Rivera solely to "check the box" on various forms.

But I denied the world the persona of Rrrrroberto Rrrrrivera, because, come on. Those boxes on the forms are there for people who get pulled over for driving while exhibiting melanin.

Come on, Liz.

-r
warmowski
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness

Postby Clyde on Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:33 am

154 wrote: Sanders' populism is offset by people who continue to see him as a spoiler, and baffling moves like making a speech over a black woman isn't doing him any favors..

Just to be clear, this didn't happen. Sanders has been giving his own response to the SOTU for three years running now. It's done after the official Democratic response and until now has not been an issue.
https://twitter.com/SenSanders/status/1 ... 5141249030
NewDarkAge wrote:Dialectics, mate. No easy answers.
Clyde
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby andteater on Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:56 am

Clyde wrote:
154 wrote: Sanders' populism is offset by people who continue to see him as a spoiler, and baffling moves like making a speech over a black woman isn't doing him any favors..

Just to be clear, this didn't happen. Sanders has been giving his own response to the SOTU for three years running now. It's done after the official Democratic response and until now has not been an issue.
https://twitter.com/SenSanders/status/1 ... 5141249030

that is 100% true. however, that doesn't matter. if Bernie has a problem with black women, that move certainly didn't help him. furthermore, not to get all Bernie on you all, but i think that his 2020 run will definitely be different than 2016, as he will have to fight off a few real potential stars as opposed to one person who already had half the country hating her.

i saw someone post about how the current batch can't beat Trump in 2020. not sure how much i buy that. we do remember that Trump took an insane path to victory including multiple 1% edges in three states. If he loses any of his base, thats a problem.

Warren is fine, but totally agree with Rob. She has more value in the Senate. I think the Native American thing was a giant gaffe and makes her look clueless. She has the charm of a middle school librarian which means I just don't see how she can drum up support - absolutely no charm whatsoever. Nothing she does seems natural even though it's clear she's fairly natural.
andteater
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity

Postby Boombats on Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:30 am

andteater wrote:if Bernie has a problem with black women, that move certainly didn't help him.

It seems like the black women he has a problem with are the ones that live in the minds of white women on Twitter.
Last edited by Boombats on Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Escape Rope / Blxck Onion / Black Mesa
warmowski wrote:Fire back, absolutely, always and forever no matter how much it blows Andy's mind.
Boombats
Analingus Eggnog

Next

Return to Crap / Not Crap