Crap/Not Crap

Crap
91%
Not Crap
9%

Total votes : 96

Re: Alt-right darling: Jordan Peterson

Postby NewDarkAge on Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:18 pm

Hey man. Was really lovely to read that, thanks for taking the time. Strangely timely, since we have had our own stupid Peterson controversy at Cam. I was thinking of writing something about it for the newspaper, but that would involve going through Maps of Meaning properly, and life may be too short. But the way Peterson has been able to present himself, and be received by his acolytes and critics alike, as a ‘facts don’t care about your feelings’ scientific realist, when the content of his work is a crusty overcooked Jungian reworking of banal cultural conservatism, is worth thinking about.

I think you’re totally right to link Peterson to academic doxa. The contradiction between him and ‘new materialisms’ or whatever is like what Badiou says about romanticism and positivism - one overturns the other without realising their own shared premise. Writing a 600 page epic on the cultural function and grammar of mythology that pretends structuralism didn’t happen is a pretty good limit case of a ‘philosophy of life’ against one of the concept. And we’re talking about this as elements of the fairly wretched ‘intellectual’ wing of ‘Corbynism’ are attempting to develop yet another ‘left’ mysticism while simultaneously appointing themselves the leading critical voice on ecofascism. If the ineffable is really so important, why do they never stop speaking ?

Sorry for the air quotes there but this stuff really gets to me, sometimes quite literally when I’m being yelled at for being an elitist bro by sinecured commentators and their Twitter followers. But hey, the only alternative is colonialist Enlightenment rationalism, right? Right?
bishopdante wrote:BTW was not suggesting that my particular area of interest is buttocks, but it is normal for people of all sexes and sexual persuasions to be into butts, is not weird.

Sighthound
NewDarkAge
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Postby Christopher on Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:31 pm

[redacted by request]
Last edited by Christopher on Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I guitar Conformists.
Christopher
suspicious flashlight
suspicious flashlight

Postby Andrew. on Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:49 pm

Meme Mearest wrote:
Andrew. wrote:I actually...

Andrew, I think you'd save yourself a post a day if you just uploaded your CV somewhere and linked to it whenever you wanted to bump a thread rather than knocking out another "actually, as a...I..." every time.

Hey, friend.

You not liking me (or the version of me that posts here) is not terribly interesting to anyone, I doubt. I was thinking it was cool that the PRF was discussing the merits of Adolph Reed's analysis on the Jordan Peterson thread. Like what a better use of energy since we can all acknowledge that Peterson is trash. But instead, you, whoever you are, wrote a bunch of stuff starting w an attack on me that I'm probably never going to read. We've all got better things to do.
Andrew.
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby Get dog costumes on Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:32 pm

Andrew. wrote:
Meme Mearest wrote:
Andrew. wrote:I actually...

Andrew, I think you'd save yourself a post a day if you just uploaded your CV somewhere and linked to it whenever you wanted to bump a thread rather than knocking out another "actually, as a...I..." every time.

Hey, friend.

You not liking me (or the version of me that posts here) is not terribly interesting to anyone, I doubt. I was thinking it was cool that the PRF was discussing the merits of Adolph Reed's analysis on the Jordan Peterson thread. Like what a better use of energy since we can all acknowledge that Peterson is trash. But instead, you, whoever you are, wrote a bunch of stuff starting w an attack on me that I'm probably never going to read. We've all got better things to do.

A good average doesn't mean much after 4 at-bats, but FMMM is hitting well, with a knowledge of your style well beyond his/her rank. It's true you weren't approached here in the most palatable way, but you yourself are often a verbose copypaster unafraid of confrontation, so you can't expect much more from others, and here at least you got something that seems sincere and personal.

I'll be the second person here to affirm that I was interested enough to read FMMM's post, and the first to claim that I had not a thing better to do with those particular minutes of my life. Like Poison's "Every rose has its thorn" for FM Wheely many a year ago, I guess it just hit me at the right moment in my life.

I'd seen your pretentious references to your work many a time, and am glad someone who seems more educated than me addressed you. You totally dodged the substance, but I commend your brief response. Can you put substance and brevity together?
steve wrote:There's nothing like making a useful item for the house.
Get dog costumes
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity

Postby biscuitdough on Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:54 pm

How the fuck did a Jungian get hired as professor of anything? That shit is for Buzzfeed personality tests and people who would like astrology, except it's too fun and accessible.
biscuitdough
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby A_Man_Who_Tries on Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:50 am

Meme Mearest wrote:Big ol' post.

Just spent a tea break with that. It was bang on. Thanks for taking the time.
maintain a healthy foe list
A_Man_Who_Tries
forced to change shirt
forced to change shirt

Postby warmowski on Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:56 am

yet another anonymous internet typist wrote:Authenticity is a parasitic concept.

Here's a fact: labor organizers take a lot of shit. Like, more shit than anybody imagines. From above, from below, from across, without and within.

It's probably the main reason so many big unions have stopped doing it even though it abandons workers and thereby all of us to the boardrooms. It's monumentally tough to recruit people who have the necessary steel-plus-empathy.

If for no other reason than to distinguish yourself, do not shit on labor organizers. They're doing what you can't or won't.

-r
warmowski
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness

Postby NewDarkAge on Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:36 am

Deary me.
bishopdante wrote:BTW was not suggesting that my particular area of interest is buttocks, but it is normal for people of all sexes and sexual persuasions to be into butts, is not weird.

Sighthound
NewDarkAge

Postby Wood Goblin on Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:41 am

I’ve butted heads with Andrew a fair amount, and of you go back far enough, some of those arguments got personal. But I think his posts about the frontlines of labor battles are excellent and informative. I’d certainly rather read those than posts full of academic Marxian jibber-jabber.

And since Lacan was mentioned, I’ll just say what I always say about him: he was a charlatan and fruitcake on the order of L. Ron Hubbard, and Zizek’s appreciation of Lacan has saved me a lot of time that might’ve been wasted reading Zizek.
Wood Goblin
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby NewDarkAge on Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:46 am

Glad that the North Americans got a chance to be extremely North American in this thread! Cult of trade unionism, the phrase “academic Marxian jibber-jabber”, and once again making sure everyone knows Lacan is a charlatan, in the space of two posts!

“Expense of jouissance, that’s the main thing.”

Sighthound
NewDarkAge

Postby warmowski on Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:02 am

Cult of trade unionism

Fuck all the way off.

-r
warmowski

Postby Clyde on Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:09 am

My own take, which may prove to be unpopular, is that if ask to have your account nuked you shouldn't come back.
NewDarkAge wrote:Dialectics, mate. No easy answers.
Clyde

Postby M.H on Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:15 am

Clyde wrote: if you ask to have your account nuked you shouldn't come back.

Amen.
M.H
cmdr. william adama
cmdr. william adama

Postby Wood Goblin on Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:22 am

That reminds me: Lacan was a charlatan.
Wood Goblin
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby Clyde on Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:44 am

Wood Goblin wrote:That reminds me: Lacan was a charlatan.

I don't think Lacan was a charlatan in that I think he was sincere in his beliefs. Whether he was a quack--along with all Freudian influenced psychoanalysis--is still a matter of contentious debate that I'm not going to delve into here. Incidentally, I took a course on Lacan from someone who was trained as an analyst. I think a lot of people took the course based on Zizek but the teacher thought Zizek was generally a terrible interpreter of Lacan. (I don't know enough about either to have an informed opinion. Most of the Zizek I've read has been his writing on film which I I found fun but doofy and disposable.)
NewDarkAge wrote:Dialectics, mate. No easy answers.
Clyde

Postby Christopher on Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:37 am

M.H wrote:
Clyde wrote: if you ask to have your account nuked you shouldn't come back.

Amen.

Some people have nuked accounts which were originally created during an era when things posted online didn't have the same consequences on their life outside this place as they do now (and not even just their lives, but possibly/more importantly, the lives of others- thinking involvement in highly-scrutinized political campaigns and such here). I don't blame them for that at all, and hope some of them return in whatever revised form they choose. I liked Connor's input, for instance, and it'd be cool to see him back.

Internet archaeology is a real cynical bitch, but goddamn if Fishin' for Unwoke Gotchas isn't the best new TV show of 2020.
I guitar Conformists.
Christopher
suspicious flashlight
suspicious flashlight

Postby NewDarkAge on Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:50 am

warmowski wrote:
Cult of trade unionism

Fuck all the way off.

-r

Whether I agree with the comments above or not (and besides the critique of trade unionism that has been pursued for a century by left communism etc.) I’m not sure making anyone who works as a labour organiser above question by virtue of their job alone, or making a fetish of ‘labor organizing’ in and of itself, amounts to a very robust ‘left-wing’ politics. You have to understand that it reads as very Yankee from here.

As for Lacan, well he was on the warpath from the start and knew better than most that to be attacked by the enemy is a good, not a bad, thing.

Anyway neither of those things are what this thread is about.

Sighthound
NewDarkAge

Postby Meme Mearest on Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:06 pm

Last edited by Meme Mearest on Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
einzig means no others, but also no others...surely perception does not work like this.
Meme Mearest
jock
jock

Postby TomTheBum on Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:04 pm

i've read all these latest posts with morbid delight and it reminds me of that good old banality ''the best lack any conviction while the worst are full of passionate intensity'' . on the right the polemics are probably about ''are zionists and globalists the same thing'' or ''what kind of barbed wire shall we use to keep out the visighots'' etc. too smart for our own good we are.
TomTheBum
complete piece of shit
complete piece of shit

Postby seanurban on Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:18 pm

seanurban wrote:Nice try. Big Dave ain't coming back.

Do I get half credit?
seanurban
King High

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap