Crap/Not Crap

Crap
91%
Not Crap
9%

Total votes : 96

Re: Alt-right darling: Jordan Peterson

Postby addley on Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:50 pm

I don't know what some of y'all are talking about, Zizek is rad.

On Peterson, I thought this was pretty cool

Meme Mearest wrote:I mostly only wanted to post in this thread to say thanks to Twilight Sparkle for defending me (also I played Undertale and it was awesome) and that GrantMcNeilly's posts earlier in the thread were righteous and accurate in the way most dialogue on Peterson never is. This is three posts mashed into one I hope it submits. Bye!

Oh shit I only saw this after I posted, thanks fren!!

Zizek's associate Alenka Zupancic has worked a lot on this particular topic and is worth listening to on the You Tubes instead of Zizek.

I've been making my way through What Is Sex? and it's pretty excellent so far
addley
forced to change shirt
forced to change shirt

Postby Meme Mearest on Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:04 pm

einzig means no others, but also no others...surely perception does not work like this.
Meme Mearest
jock
jock

Postby Boombats on Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:28 pm

TomTheBum wrote:''the best lack any conviction while the worst are full of passionate intensity''

Not sure if I've ever heard this before but boy is it dandy. I've long said that weak minds favor strong opinions.
Escape Rope / Blxck Onion / Black Mesa
warmowski wrote:Fire back, absolutely, always and forever no matter how much it blows Andy's mind.
Boombats
Analingus Eggnog

Postby jimmy spako on Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:55 pm

It's from a W.B. Yeats poem.

The Second Coming

Turning and turning in the widening gyre
The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

Surely some revelation is at hand;
Surely the Second Coming is at hand.
The Second Coming! Hardly are those words out
When a vast image out of Spiritus Mundi
Troubles my sight: somewhere in sands of the desert
A shape with lion body and the head of a man,
A gaze blank and pitiless as the sun,
Is moving its slow thighs, while all about it
Reel shadows of the indignant desert birds.
The darkness drops again; but now I know
That twenty centuries of stony sleep
Were vexed to nightmare by a rocking cradle,
And what rough beast, its hour come round at last,
Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?

Somebody please make an incel parody version, I'm too tired.

The betas lack all conviction, while the Chads
Are full of passionate intensity.
Last edited by jimmy spako on Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Isabelle Gall wrote:'Do not go smoothly into that dark night'
jimmy spako
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge

Postby rayword45 on Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:55 pm

I have a distressing amount of friends who listen to this guy's nonsense and I'm trying to find podcasts and YouTubers and such to veer them the other way. Any recommendations? I don't really watch much so I went with generic Chapo (never liked them but I can see edgelord centrists enjoying it)/ContraPoints (smart but her videos are a bit too long for my tastes)/HBomberGuy recommendations.
rayword45
chuck close
chuck close

Postby jimmy spako on Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:17 am

Hey FM Rayword45 –
you could do worse than start with something like this from the Majority Report.
I think Joe Rogan is a meathead, but it might be clever to show him getting pushback from a non-leftist with added leftist commentary. If you look there are a number of good videos like this from the Majority Report critiquing/mocking JP. Anecdotal evidence (calls to this show from new, younger converted viewers) suggests something like this can reach those who are not too far gone. There is a great power to seeing these people get owned in semi-friendly surroundings, plants the seed. Good luck!

Isabelle Gall wrote:'Do not go smoothly into that dark night'
jimmy spako

Postby Christopher on Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:31 pm

rayword45 wrote:I have a distressing amount of friends who listen to this guy's nonsense and I'm trying to find podcasts and YouTubers and such to veer them the other way. Any recommendations?

The Citations Needed episode on Mike Rowe, where they discuss his Koch-funded, blue-collar cosplay, could be a good place to start. Funny, well-researched, and probably scratches that YouTubey PERSON gets OWNED itch without actually being pedantic or gross about it.
I guitar Conformists.
Christopher
suspicious flashlight
suspicious flashlight

Postby Clyde on Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:03 am

Christopher wrote:
rayword45 wrote:I have a distressing amount of friends who listen to this guy's nonsense and I'm trying to find podcasts and YouTubers and such to veer them the other way. Any recommendations?

The Citations Needed episode on Mike Rowe, where they discuss his Koch-funded, blue-collar cosplay, could be a good place to start. Funny, well-researched, and probably scratches that YouTubey PERSON gets OWNED itch without actually being pedantic or gross about it.

The recent Citations Needed episode on John Stossel is good for similar reasons.
NewDarkAge wrote:Dialectics, mate. No easy answers.
Clyde
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby Frank Decent on Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:45 pm

Clyde wrote:
Christopher wrote:

The recent Citations Needed episode on John Stossel is good for similar reasons.

Jesus. I didn't realize he was such a piece of fucking garbage. Great podcast.
Frank Decent

Postby addley on Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:17 pm

Breadtube might be a good place for them to root around. Beau of the Fifth Column has some vids aimed at men who might look towards a figure like Peterson for guidance. I'll admit I don't watch this dude and haven't seen this, but oh well, friends have said good things and I'll rec it anyway

Honestly I think dudes who look up to and take advice for Peterson are better off with Bill Burr. Burr says things that get up my ass, but his adaption to the ever changing cultural landscape is commendable, and dare I say elegant, in his way
addley
forced to change shirt
forced to change shirt

Postby rayword45 on Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:22 pm

addley wrote:Honestly I think dudes who look up to and take advice for Peterson are better off with Bill Burr. Burr says things that get up my ass, but his adaption to the ever changing cultural landscape is commendable, and dare I say elegant, in his way

The problem with Burr is that a huge portion of his fans tend to selectively choose what of his comedy they want to apply as "teachings" (lol at the idea of deriving your political compass from fucking stand-up sets). I cannot tell you how many libertarian douchewits I've met that unironically quote his "gold digging whores" bit as life lessons, and there's a reason he has a disturbing amount of MRA/MGTOW fans even though he disavowed those morons.

Norm has a similar problem with selectively right-leaning fans, which I find far more baffling because his comedy seems far less charged and more just surreal.
rayword45
chuck close
chuck close

Postby addley on Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:26 pm

Ah I wasn't aware, maybe not then ):
addley
forced to change shirt
forced to change shirt

Postby famousjunkie on Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:01 am

rayword45 wrote:I have a distressing amount of friends who listen to this guy's nonsense and I'm trying to find podcasts and YouTubers and such to veer them the other way. Any recommendations? I don't really watch much so I went with generic Chapo (never liked them but I can see edgelord centrists enjoying it)/ContraPoints (smart but her videos are a bit too long for my tastes)/HBomberGuy recommendations.

It might be more effective to identify what they see in the guy and proceed from there in conversation rather than sending them videos about how bad a person the messenger is.

The thing is, even if that tactic works, the sending of the Youtube videos, it's still a negative for humanity. Because now your friend just dislikes him because he was discredited as an identity, the underlying ideas still lurk and the minute Peterson MKII springs up, your friend might be just as duped.
famousjunkie
jacques pepin
jacques pepin

Postby addley on Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:31 am

Not a bad suggestion, but things like Contra and some of what has been suggested above are in fact attacking his ideas
addley
forced to change shirt
forced to change shirt

Postby addley on Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:23 am

Ahahahahahahahahaha
addley
forced to change shirt
forced to change shirt

Postby addley on Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:25 am

Fucking bodied

Get the hell out of here

addley
forced to change shirt
forced to change shirt

Postby Boombats on Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:34 am

Link? Synopsis?
Escape Rope / Blxck Onion / Black Mesa
warmowski wrote:Fire back, absolutely, always and forever no matter how much it blows Andy's mind.
Boombats
Analingus Eggnog

Postby famousjunkie on Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:46 am

Boombats wrote:Link? Synopsis?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGRC5AA1wF0

Starts at ~44 minutes.
famousjunkie
jacques pepin
jacques pepin

Postby Frank Decent on Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:11 am

Christ, I tried to watch that but listening to JP speak was more trying than it was worth. It's like listening to a 15 year old, in 1981 talk about his favourite Rush records. Fucking goof.
Frank Decent

Postby famousjunkie on Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:24 am

I didn't expect much, but it's worse than I expected.

Peterson's didn't-do-the-reading approach will probably haunt him for a bit. And then there were other elements, like the fact that they settled on pitch black and total lack of intimacy for their setting. Pointlessly long-winded opening remarks.Overall just seemed like it was put together at the last minute. The fanatical applauses for Zizek, which don't bother me because I dislike Zizek, but it's just totally representative of the kind of gross TV fanaticism that made this whole thing happen in the first place. Notice how all of my criticisms are of superficial aspects. That's because there was hardly a coherent thread that you could say the two were passionately debating about in the first place.

But I guess there's the probability that this lowers JP's influence a bit, so that's a plus.
famousjunkie
jacques pepin
jacques pepin

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap