Crap/Not Crap?

CRAP
6%
NOT CRAP
94%

Total votes : 417

Re: Band: the Jesus Lizard

Postby edventure on Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:27 am

travis k wrote:Not even gonna get excited. The robots probably already have all of the tickets.

Brooklyn tix still available, albeit for 78 fuckin dollars.
edventure
thomas paine
thomas paine

Postby mrcancelled on Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:16 pm

edventure wrote:
travis k wrote:Not even gonna get excited. The robots probably already have all of the tickets.

I looked at getting tickets to this show until I saw that it'd be $150+ for a pair. That's ridiculous. I'll be going to the Nashville show instead, which is half the price.
mrcancelled
took picture of naked guy

Postby AdamN on Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:56 pm

Wow, looks a beautiful venue. Hope they pad those beams so Yow doesn't rack himself while crowd surfing.

AdamN
meadowlark lemon
meadowlark lemon

Postby mrcancelled on Sun Dec 15, 2019 1:42 pm

edit-sold tix
Last edited by mrcancelled on Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mrcancelled

Postby zircona1 on Sun Dec 15, 2019 3:39 pm

mrcancelled wrote:
edventure wrote:

I looked at getting tickets to this show until I saw that it'd be $150+ for a pair. That's ridiculous. I'll be going to the Nashville show instead, which is half the price.

I'm going to the Nashville show too! It's on my birthday! I've never been to a concert on my birthday before! :D :D :D
- "Whatever happened to that album?"
- "I broke it, remember? I threw it against the wall, and it like, shattered."
zircona1
dave "devilfish" ulliot
dave "devilfish" ulliot

Postby Sprague Dawley on Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:42 am

I think of this band as being alone at the very, very top, divvying up the top 2 spots of top 2 greatest albums ever made, alltime, it's either 1.Liar, 2.Goat or 1.Goat, 2.Liar.
Sprague Dawley
casio
casio

Postby mrcancelled on Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:16 pm

zircona1 wrote:
mrcancelled wrote:
edventure wrote:

I'm going to the Nashville show too! It's on my birthday! I've never been to a concert on my birthday before! :D :D :D

That'll be a hell of a birthday. I'll buy you a birthday drink if you want to meet up (I'm the spectacle'd guy with a beard, should be pretty easy to spot :wink: ).

It's crazy to me that it's been over 10 years since I saw their first reunion show in Nashville. That does not seem very long ago--I still feel like them playing shows is a relatively new thing.
mrcancelled

Postby mrcancelled on Sun Dec 22, 2019 3:10 pm

AdamN wrote:Wow, looks a beautiful venue. Hope they pad those beams so Yow doesn't rack himself while crowd surfing.

Damn, I assumed this was the Brooklyn venue at first. This place looks pretty meh, hopefully it'll be set up a little differently than I'm seeing in other pictures of shows there... not a fan of the 5+ foot fenced barrier between the standing area and the stage. Sure wish they were playing at the Exit/In again, but I'm sure it'll still be a blast.
mrcancelled

Postby zircona1 on Wed Jan 01, 2020 3:17 pm

The Jesus Lizard show in Nashville on my birthday was awesome. They sounded great, and Yow was his usual crowd-surfing, audience-baiting self ("Thank you Knoxville!"). He also wore a 'FUCK TRUMP' shirt. The highlights for me were 'Then Comes Dudley', and getting to hear 'Lady Shoes'.

My girlfriend was a sport and went with me even though she doesn't care for that kind of music. She said "the lead singer looked like he was going to have a heart attack at times". :lol:
- "Whatever happened to that album?"
- "I broke it, remember? I threw it against the wall, and it like, shattered."
zircona1
dave "devilfish" ulliot
dave "devilfish" ulliot

Postby The Moose Child on Wed Jan 01, 2020 7:48 pm

Drove down from Chicago to see this as well. The triplet Mac slipped in during the drum break of set opener "Puss" provided the familiar but as powerful as the first time I saw them liftoff only they seem capable of producing. Still absolutely the best.

What I thought was a new song ended up being something they did live at least once with Kimball, "Lord Godiva". Apparently it's been discussed here before, along with something called "Swing Set", (which I've never heard). Anyway, the song is fantastic, the only let down is that I hadI hoped it was one of several new songs they would soon be recording, etc...

But to complain about anything would be like complaining about an orgasm.
The Moose Child
ensign
ensign

Postby andyman on Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:09 am

I'm surprised I'm having trouble finding an answer to this, but what does Denison do at the end of Gladiator to make his guitar sound like a laser? It blows my mind whenever I hear it.
offal wrote:I just want to be able to play bitchin' single-stroke rolls before I die
andyman
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby AdamN on Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:16 am

I just hope Duane and his family are okay, and the PRF members in Nashville. They just got creamed by a night time tornado.
AdamN
meadowlark lemon
meadowlark lemon

Postby Get dog costumes on Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:18 pm

andyman wrote:I'm surprised I'm having trouble finding an answer to this, but what does Denison do at the end of Gladiator to make his guitar sound like a laser? It blows my mind whenever I hear it.

Pick scrapes, right?

The best ever, I think. I've seen the band, and heard maybe ten live cuts of that song, and that moment's never anywhere near as badass as on the studio track. Not the easiest thing to execute live, I imagine.
steve wrote:There's nothing like making a useful item for the house.
Get dog costumes
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity

Postby andyman on Wed Mar 04, 2020 6:28 am

Get dog costumes wrote:
andyman wrote:I'm surprised I'm having trouble finding an answer to this, but what does Denison do at the end of Gladiator to make his guitar sound like a laser? It blows my mind whenever I hear it.

Pick scrapes, right?

That makes sense! Thanks.
offal wrote:I just want to be able to play bitchin' single-stroke rolls before I die
andyman

Postby honeyisfunny on Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:14 am

andyman wrote:
Get dog costumes wrote:

Pick scrapes, right?

I always figured he runs his palm down the strings a little like (winces) Tom Morello might do when (winces) mimicking a DJ scratching. But that's what it sounds like and what he seems to do live. Not that I was standing stock still staring at his hands waiting for that moment to happen so I could work it out or anything...
Way out is the way out
honeyisfunny
Guardian Diety of the Planet

Postby andyman on Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:21 am

honeyisfunny wrote:
andyman wrote:
Get dog costumes wrote:

Pick scrapes, right?

I always figured he runs his palm down the strings a little like (winces) Tom Morello might do when (winces) mimicking a DJ scratching. But that's what it sounds like and what he seems to do live. Not that I was standing stock still staring at his hands waiting for that moment to happen so I could work it out or anything...

Jesus Christ I just realized I could've youtubed this. Fuck.
Last edited by andyman on Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
andyman

Postby Redline on Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:09 pm

honeyisfunny wrote:
Not that I was standing stock still staring at his hands waiting for that moment to happen

Yes you were...
Redline
World's Greatest Lover
World's Greatest Lover

Postby honeyisfunny on Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:42 am

Redline wrote:honeyisfunny wrote:
Not that I was standing stock still staring at his hands waiting for that moment to happen

Yes you were...

Guilty as charged.
Way out is the way out
honeyisfunny

Postby offal on Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:54 pm

andyman wrote:
honeyisfunny wrote:
andyman wrote:
Get dog costumes wrote:

Pick scrapes, right?

Jesus Christ I just realized I could've youtubed this. Fuck.

So is it this bit, then?

EDIT: Fucking lnks. 3:31 in this clip:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8eD0X8rung

So is it just moving the fret hand quickly across the strings with a light touch?

Probably the first time I remember hearing that sound was during this middle riff in "Jump in the Fire":

Ugh, and 2 minutes in this link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRRA5KGaSi4

And in my old thrash metal band, whenever the guys got new strings, all the shredder riffs had those scrapes between chords for the first few days until the strings broke in.
offal

Postby cneutron on Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:43 pm

cneutron
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Previous

Return to Crap / Not Crap