Postby tbone on Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:24 pm

Get it?
I play guitar in Mayor For Life and Jackhammer Hearts
tbone
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Re: Band: Sleater-Kinney

Postby RSMurphy on Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:23 am

tbone wrote:I'm really patting myself on the back here for how much the phrase "front butt" took off in this thread.

Or shall I say, patting myself on the...

FRONT

*gently chucks under your occipital bone*
WHALES CHICAGO USA THE MUSIC OF SOUND BANDACMP EP NOISEPOP

LTD. EDITION VINYL COPIES OF SIZE AND SCALE

Trey wrote:I think Randy is great.

Surfrider wrote:Come on Randy! You can do it!!
RSMurphy
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby A_Man_Who_Tries on Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:55 pm

New Song Exploder might interest some here.

[Song Exploder] Sleater-Kinney - The Future Is Here #songExploder
http://podplayer.net/?id=77898957
maintain a healthy foe list
A_Man_Who_Tries
forced to change shirt
forced to change shirt

Postby Tommy on Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:58 pm

tbone wrote:I'm really patting myself on the back here for how much the phrase "front butt" took off in this thread.

An ex gf of mine's parents referred to her vagina as her "front butt" throughout her childhood.
Tommy
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby mezhrai-busey on Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:24 am

Man that new single is annoying as shit, front to back. I like some of their older stuff, but this is commercia-pop garbage that scarcely resembles a band anymore. St. Vincent sucks too.
mezhrai-busey
fan
fan

Postby RSMurphy on Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:15 pm

Tommy wrote:

An ex gf of mine's parents referred to her vagina as her "front butt" throughout her childhood.

Kate Rev once opined that every dick has a butt at the front.

if you don't know, now you know
WHALES CHICAGO USA THE MUSIC OF SOUND BANDACMP EP NOISEPOP

LTD. EDITION VINYL COPIES OF SIZE AND SCALE

Trey wrote:I think Randy is great.

Surfrider wrote:Come on Randy! You can do it!!
RSMurphy
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby yard barf on Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:55 pm

A_Man_Who_Tries wrote:New Song Exploder might interest some here.

[Song Exploder] Sleater-Kinney - The Future Is Here #songExploder
http://podplayer.net/?id=77898957

Gah!!! Horrible. The musical equivalent of a can of Pepsi. No wonder the drummer left.
yard barf
cool kid
cool kid

Postby Tommy on Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:23 pm

yard barf wrote:The musical equivalent of a can of Pepsi.

I love this colorful analogy. It really doesn't matter what it's applied to because I'd love it just the same.
Tommy
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby askii on Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:23 pm

kerble wrote:In good news, Quasi is touring again:
https://www.killrockstars.com/tour-dates

...but not until Janet recovers from injuries sustained in a "scary car accident".

Glad it wasn't worse, and that the prognosis and JW's spirits seem good. Speedy recovery, JANET FUCKING WEISS!

askii
julie from mod squad
julie from mod squad

Postby skoz on Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:11 am

This morning, in our kitchen Sleater-Kinney came on NPR and I had the following exchange with my wife.

Me: I’m so sick of hearing about Sleater-Kinney.

Wife: I know, they weren’t that good to begin with. It’s only because what’s her name is a tv star now.

M: Oh man have you heard the new music they are making?

W: Ugh, I forgot about that.

That about sums it up.
skoz
tired of birds
tired of birds

Postby Anthony Flack on Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:39 pm

It must be fucking weird to be in a relatively low-key band and then have one member of said band become a TV celebrity. I guess maybe too weird for Janet.
Anthony Flack
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby aldofarian on Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:56 pm

Anthony Flack wrote:It must be fucking weird to be in a relatively low-key band and then have one member of said band become a TV celebrity. I guess maybe too weird for Janet.

Janet works as a location scout, so I would guess Carrie's TV career has been more a benefit for her than a hindrance.

I would also guess pretty much everyone here recognises that being in a band involves a lot of difficulties in terms of personal, artistic and aesthetic choices/compromises.

According to the broadsheet interview Carrie and Corin did, it was Janet's suggestion to use St. Vincent for the record.

Sometimes things don't turn out how you would have liked.

I hope Janet gets well soon and bashes the shit out of a drumkit soon. She is a fantastic drummer.
mort pété
aldofarian
freelance sperm donor
freelance sperm donor

Postby askii on Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:40 pm

aldofarian wrote:Sometimes things don't turn out how you would have liked.

Yep. Portlandia was a phenom before S-K's "reactivation" with No Cities to Love. I consider it to be one of their best records, and the half-dozen shows I saw on that tour were as fierce and galvanizing as any I saw BITD. Janet was a tornado, as always. The old chemistry was in full effect; they were clearly quite fond of one another and stoked to be playing together again.

This sudden aesthetic turn does seem to be mainly Carrie's fault, though, even if Janet initially suggested Annie Clark. It's especially painful because now I finally have to sorta agree with that segment of S-K fans who used to complain, at least as far back as One Beat, that Carrie was a "showboat" or some bullshit -- which I still think is bullshit, but somehow prophetic bullshit.

I hope Janet gets well soon and bashes the shit out of a drumkit soon. She is a fantastic drummer.

+1. She has long been my favorite currently active non-metal rock drummer. More Quasi shows are always welcome, but it sucks to think of never seeing her play again in the way she played with S-K. I'd be willing to bet she thinks that sucks, too.
askii
julie from mod squad
julie from mod squad

Postby Anthony Flack on Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:53 am

I guess it probably is more of a help than a hindrance but it would still be fucking weird.
Anthony Flack
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby total_douche on Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:23 am

S-K makes a good ratchet, better than Craftsman anyway.
total_douche
man forced to eat beard
man forced to eat beard

Postby mattw on Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:17 am

For me, there are certain bands that- due to no fault of their own- become part of the ex-girlfriend dilemma (EGD). They fall into that category for me. The only time I saw them was at Hotel Congress in Tucson (outdoor show) during their One Beat tour in 2002. Shannon Wright opened, and that was pretty cool. S-K were alright, but I do remember thinking that Janet W. was the secret weapon of that band- I was more drawn to her drumming than what the front two were doing (or should I say the front butts? Sorry).

Some people really love them- and an ex-gf and one of her guy friends were superfans; it's always awkward when someone realllllly likes a certain artist and you want to acknowledge that they are good- and stuff- but apparently your nod to them being a good, perfectly capable band is of course not sufficient enough praise for the superfans. I tried to listen to their albums objectively, and there are songs here and there that I've liked, but it's not really my jam on toast. The new album was particularly not.
mattw
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents

Postby WeStartToDrift on Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:55 pm

I made it about halfway through the new album before I left my office. Upon returning I had no real desire to finish it which is disheartening given how much I enjoy S-K. The whole thing sounds like a total shit show, from weird early 90's grungy guitars to a guitar lick that was totally cribbed from St. Vincent's "Cruel". This album is missing a lot of Janet Weiss' bombast and comes across pretty sterile.
WeStartToDrift
hindu
hindu

Postby Dudley on Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:54 am

WeStartToDrift wrote:This album is missing a lot of Janet Weiss' bombast and comes across pretty sterile.

Saw them at Brixton last night. This pretty much nails how I felt about it. Weirdly lacklustre show. It's the first show in a big indoor venue I've been to in ages, so maybe I was a bit thrown by that scale and distance. There was the odd flash when they played older stuff, but overall it felt locked down and weirdly stifled. I don't think the extra keys/guitar added anything good.

The, er "production", didn't help. Underwhelming light sticks, everything looking very stylised. It felt like they'd seen the last Low tour, but didn't have the budget. It just made everything feel static and flat. It also gave me a similar feelingthat this was a great older band trying to "stay relevant" or down with the kids or similar, that the last Low album (to a much much lesser extent) gave me.
Seby wrote:How does the sting of marginalisation taste now, you pick-using oppressors?
Dudley
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Previous

Return to Crap / Not Crap