Melvins

CRAP
11%
NOT CRAP
89%

Total votes : 411

Re: Band: Melvins

Postby m3kcomp on Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:48 pm

I think if the Melvins had broken up right after Houdini, there would be no debate when going head to head with Karp.

Karp did one thing very, very well. The Melvins have done a handful.

They've definitely watered themselves down in the last 5 or so years. I'm going to weather the McDonald storm and see what comes next. It's been good taking a break from seeing them live, McDonald's goofy ass makes it really hard to enjoy their shows.
m3kcomp
evita
evita

Postby llllllllllllllllllllllll on Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:25 am

I saw them once with Big Business and another time with Pinkus on bass. After the BB show I was prepared to catch them every time they came through Houston, but I got the feeling from the show with Pinkus that I just caught something special with the former lineup that wasn’t happening with the others. They were still great with Pinkus, but it just wasn’t the same.
I appreciated that they weren’t as goofy on stage as they are in interviews.
I don’t really care that they’ve got reactionary tendencies or whatever. I get that other people do,I just never gave it a second though. If I didn’t like them it would definitely be a strike against them though.
llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

dvockins wrote:Gold hardware means you are number one.
llllllllllllllllllllllll
Guardian Diety of the Planet

Postby llllllllllllllllllllllll on Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:31 am

My favorite thing about Karp, Big Business, that Melvin’s lineup is that the bassist is so huge that he can play power chords on a Jazz bass like it’s a Gibson guitar. And that insane sound is coming from a Crate amp!

llllllllllllllllllllllll

Postby oZZma on Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:44 am

llllllllllllllllllllllll wrote:My favorite thing about Karp, Big Business, that Melvin’s lineup is that the bassist is so huge that he can play power chords on a Jazz bass like it’s a Gibson guitar. And that insane sound is coming from a Crate amp!

A SQUIER jazz!! :mrgreen: And that mostly-Boss pedalboard?
Jared Warren deserves lots of love :P
vade retro Santana
oZZma
galloping gourmet
galloping gourmet

Postby LBx on Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:01 pm

El Protoolio wrote:I think what you guys really mean is that Melvins with Jared and Cody from Big Business is the best version of the Melvins.

Disagree, zero waffles.

90s Buzz riffing on a Les Paul in trio will always be the best Melvins. Period.

First two Big Biz records are great though...
LBx
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby El Protoolio on Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:50 pm

LBx wrote:
El Protoolio wrote:I think what you guys really mean is that Melvins with Jared and Cody from Big Business is the best version of the Melvins.

Disagree, zero waffles.

90s Buzz riffing on a Les Paul in trio will always be the best Melvins. Period.

First two Big Biz records are great though...

I wasn’t saying I was saying that I was saying those guys were saying it.
El Protoolio
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby m3kcomp on Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:56 pm

Nowhere near the best.

Of the lineups I've personally seen, both Rutmanis and Dunn smoked the Biz in "heavy" terms. No talking (or breaks!) between songs, just take it.

I loves me some Jared Warren but he was one tiny step up from the McDonald shenanigans when he was in the Melvins.

The two drummer thing was neat, but not more than that. I saw them do it 4 times (maybe 5?), and it was only the residency shows that really made it work. 5 great albums played over 2 nights, kind of hard to fuck that up.

Been a while since I've seen a "serious" show. They used to play them, honest!
m3kcomp
evita
evita

Postby Snowblinder on Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:09 pm

I've now seen them five times, all in the last five years. And the Chicago show at the Metro last Thursday was easily the best. They really brought it hard.

Also, I don't understand any of the Steven McDonald hate. That guy is truly living his best life, probably knows it, and seems to be having the best time doing so. Not to mention the fact that he's a fantastic bassist. If you can't stomach a little showmanship and joy in your live music, I really don't know what to say to you.
Snowblinder
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby llllllllllllllllllllllll on Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:52 pm

m3kcomp wrote:Been a while since I've seen a "serious" show. They used to play them, honest!

What do you mean, what exactly are they doing now? When I’ve seen them they didn’t say a word between songs, just played great sets.

llllllllllllllllllllllll

Postby m3kcomp on Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:07 pm

llllllllllllllllllllllll wrote:
m3kcomp wrote:Been a while since I've seen a "serious" show. They used to play them, honest!

What do you mean, what exactly are they doing now? When I’ve seen them they didn’t say a word between songs, just played great sets.

Just feels goofy now. Even with Pinkus.

It's all good though. They still smoke most bands live.

Snowblinder wrote:Also, I don't understand any of the Steven McDonald hate. That guy is truly living his best life, probably knows it, and seems to be having the best time doing so. Not to mention the fact that he's a fantastic bassist. If you can't stomach a little showmanship and joy in your live music, I really don't know what to say to you.

Not hate, from me anyway. It just doesn't go well with the music. Maybe he should join a band like the Aquabats or something. Or back Weird Al. Nothing against him, just hard to watch during a song like "At a Crawl."

Imagine he played bass in Big Black or the Birthday Party. Does the argument make more sense then?
m3kcomp
evita
evita

Postby biscuitdough on Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:27 pm

I remember when he added bass parts to the White Stripes.

We've been in the cute era of Melvins since the Big Business merger. It's hit and miss, but we've been in the hit and miss era of Melvins since forever.
biscuitdough

Postby Clyde on Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:40 am

I've seen live four times, I think. If I'm remembering correctly, there was a different bassist each time: Preston, Deutrom, Rutmanis, and Jarred Warren. They were all impressive. One of the times I saw them--pretty sure it was the second time with Deutrom--they opened for themselves, possibly twice. I think it was listed as Melvins with Melvins (and Melvins?). Does anybody remember anything like this? The first set (or two sets) were probably experimental of noise-based although I don't recall the specifics. I think this was around Stag.
NewDarkAge wrote:Dialectics, mate. No easy answers.
Clyde

Postby Christopher on Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:48 pm

Clyde wrote:One of the times I saw them--pretty sure it was the second time with Deutrom--they opened for themselves, possibly twice. I think it was listed as Melvins with Melvins (and Melvins?). Does anybody remember anything like this? The first set (or two sets) were probably experimental of noise-based although I don't recall the specifics. I think this was around Stag.

Maybe they did this earlier, too, but they for sure did this the two times I saw them in 2000- once in April in Champaign, and again in June in St. Louis. Kevin was on bass and Dave Stone from Get Hustle played second guitar. They were also pulling someone out of the audience to sing for their cover of "Smells Like Teen Spirit".
I guitar Conformists.
Christopher
not wearing any pants
not wearing any pants

Postby AnthonyCinder on Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:19 pm

m3kcomp wrote:Maybe he should join a band like the Aquabats or something.

Spot on. :smt005

HOF
How come when it's us, it's an abortion, and when it's a chicken, it's an omelette? - George Carlin

https://cindercone.bandcamp.com/
AnthonyCinder
Leader with Extraordinary Personality
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Postby VaticanShotglass on Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:45 pm

I first saw them live with Rutmanis, and that dude threw down some amazing noise and heavy thunder. The second time I saw him with them he was close to the end of his rope, but gave an amazing, if slightly off, performance. I was way bummed when he was out. Hostile Ambient Takeover and Pigs of the Roman Empire are favorite albums for me. [BTW has anyone followed his band Hepa.titus? I have a few of those albums and like them a lot.]

Trevor Dunn on double bass was amazing. Also great on P-Bass at the 25(?) year thing. Warren was great each time I saw him. I think that first time with the Squier and the two piece Big Biz line up was just super great. I kinda lost track of BB after they added more and more elements, but I really need to go back and listen those albums I missed.

Never caught Pinkus or McDonald live. I don't really have any feelings one way or the other about Pinkus, but I really liked A Walk With Love and Death with McDonald.

I haven't had a records store or disposable income since then, so I don't know what they are doing now.
VaticanShotglass

Postby cak on Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:26 am

I don't get the beef with McDonald. I've been to a couple of recent shows and he's got great chemistry and vocal harmonies, and as a funny bonus he looks a bit like Matt Lukin. If he was the "final" Melvins bassist, I would be 100% cool with that.
cak
robert motherwell
robert motherwell

Postby numberthirty on Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:36 am

m3kcomp wrote:
Snowblinder wrote:Also, I don't understand any of the Steven McDonald hate. That guy is truly living his best life, probably knows it, and seems to be having the best time doing so. Not to mention the fact that he's a fantastic bassist. If you can't stomach a little showmanship and joy in your live music, I really don't know what to say to you.

Not hate, from me anyway. It just doesn't go well with the music. Maybe he should join a band like the Aquabats or something. Or back Weird Al. Nothing against him, just hard to watch during a song like "At a Crawl."

Imagine he played bass in Big Black or the Birthday Party. Does the argument make more sense then?

While I ain't trying to stir anything up, I tend to agree with Snowblinder here.

If Melvins being a "Serious" band works for you, do your thing.

To me, they have always been more on the "Weird All"/"Aquabats" side of the coin than the "Big Black"/"Birthday Party" side of the coin.

(or whoever you "More" or "Less" serious bands are here...)

If anything, this is a band where them being more "Technicolor" and less "Black And White" when it comes to the live show is probably a plus.
154 wrote:Are you in Voivod or something?
numberthirty
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby flyinghouses on Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:31 pm

Glad I saw them in Syracuse on Monday. Steven was better than the last time I saw them a couple years ago when he was more nancy-boy. Dale playing for Red Kross was cool. Terrific show
flyinghouses
not wearing any pants
not wearing any pants

Postby Tommy on Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:05 pm

m3kcomp wrote:Not hate, from me anyway. It just doesn't go well with the music. Maybe he should join a band like the Aquabats or something. Or back Weird Al. Nothing against him, just hard to watch during a song like "At a Crawl."

Hard disagree. This band has always been a cartoon. Crazy hair: check. Over-the-top drumming: check. Dumb song titles: check. I mean, even the vocal delivery on a lot of it. The record covers. KISS love. It's ALL there.

I say this as someone who thoroughly enjoys several of their records (Bullhead through Houdini, with a spattering of songs here and there thereafter).

Also, I'd actually be amused by him being in all of the aforementioned bands. SO SERIOUS!
Tommy
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby uglysound on Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:54 pm

uglysound
timex
timex

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap