Watchmen TV Show?

Crap
No votes
Not Crap
100%

Total votes : 13

Watchmen (TV Series)

Postby jimmy two hands on Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:37 pm

I searched and didn't find anything on the show. Usually we're offering our opinions months or years in advance of these things, what gives?

So far it seems like Blue Lives Matters the TV Series. I've hated everything Damon Lindelof has done so far, but I'm trying to go in with an open mind on this.
banjo.comics.pigfuck.stoner metal.rock operas.

AudioTruth wrote:Everything I buy from other brands break after a couple years, this is because they are only interested in making money. I'm only interested in long-lasting eargasms.
jimmy two hands
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Re: Watchmen (TV Series)

Postby GrantMcNeilly on Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:51 pm

The comic, when you get down to it, is about the death of liberalism at the hands of a leftist neoliberal psychopath (sorry, idealist, who also happens to be German. A German Idealist). This show seems like it is, well, neoliberal watchmen (the near universal praise for it by critics, as compared to an older class-based leftist movie like Joker, is telling).

That said, if there's anything that will make one doubt whether America could have ever had a functioning liberal government its the immature, blatant racism that seems to be everywhere, so the fact that the show seems like it has entirely different politics from the book may not be a bad thing. Lindelof has clearly done his research and i'm excited by the fact that he picked up on the temporal nuances of the comic book - too often you just get people talking about how it is so great because it "humanizes" the superheroes without thinking about the more philosophical stuff, and Lindelof seems like he's at least going to address that with Ozymandias (and thank god they cast Ozymandias well this time!). Oh, and it's funny seeing all the alt righters complaining about how the show treats Rorschach like a racist psycho when, in the comic, he pretty much was a racist psycho.

I'm giving it a cautious NC, excited to see where it goes.
TheMilford wrote: We're talking about TV here, not a Slint record or Albert Camus....
GrantMcNeilly
ella fitzgerald
ella fitzgerald

Postby numberthirty on Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:00 pm

Worth it's salt if only for the drama it is creating in "Comics" circles.

As a show, it's kind of hard to avoid that someone essentially looked at what FX did with Fargo and did "Their" version of it with the "Watchmen" IP.

While I don't know if that's "Crap" by it's nature, it is hard to avoid that I tend to be on the "Just Don't Adapt..." when it comes to this comic.
154 wrote:Are you in Voivod or something?
numberthirty

Postby the finger genius on Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:19 am

I enjoyed the first episode. As for the politics, it's maybe going to be a tightrope walk, but if they're opening the first episode with the Tulsa massacre then I'm giving the benefit of the doubt. Also I read something where Lindelhof was talking about how Race and Policing is the prime conflict we face today (similar to the US / Soviet stand off when the original came out) and it makes sense to me. I'm excited to see where they take it.
Boombats wrote:Meal Young and Gravy Horse

I play drums in Eighteen Hundred and Froze to Death

I play everything in Grass Jaw
the finger genius
World War 11 Veteran
World War 11 Veteran

Postby DrAwkward on Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:02 pm

I've gotta give the premiere episode a Not Crap. Pretty fascinated with where this ends up going, but i feel like they've hit the right notes with establishing what that universe would look like 34 years post-squid.
Stinky Pete wrote:BDSM is a bit like Queens of the Stone Age in that it's basically fine to be into, but a bit worrying if you're obsessed with it.

Body Futures
IfIHadAHiFi
Martian Dance Invasion!
DrAwkward
Master of Cunnilingus
Master of Cunnilingus

Postby VaticanShotglass on Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:17 pm

I liked the little squids. Either meh or tightrope for the rest playing out.
VaticanShotglass
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby stewie on Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:44 pm

This show is pretty fucking great so far. Very tight script and cinematography, and inventive in a lot of ways.

I didn't see it as a Blue Lives Matter thing at all. If anything, it's doing the opposite, but in a "you have to map what you're seeing in this alternate universe to your own" way.
stewie
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby The Code is Almighty on Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:18 pm

I came to it fairly skeptical, but it's far and away exceeded my expectations.

After the second episode, is anyone else wondering if Jeremy Irons isn't Viedt and actually Dr. Manhattan?
jimmy two hands wrote:You can tell someone is a Grade-A asshole if the Muppets don't like them.
The Code is Almighty
Capofamiglia

Postby jimmy two hands on Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:14 pm

I rewatched the first episode and enjoyed it a lot more than the first time, but the second episode irritated me for some reason. I think I'm going to have to rewatch the entire series after all the episodes are out because it looks like they're going with that whole mystery box story that gets on my nerves.

The Code is Almighty wrote:After the second episode, is anyone else wondering if Jeremy Irons isn't Viedt and actually Dr. Manhattan?

Not sure if it's going to be Dr. Manhattan, but I feel like the way they're making it so obvious that it's Viedt makes me think they're going to pull a twist where it's not Viedt.

AudioTruth wrote:Everything I buy from other brands break after a couple years, this is because they are only interested in making money. I'm only interested in long-lasting eargasms.
jimmy two hands

Postby GrantMcNeilly on Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:49 pm

For a while now I've had this thought that Dr Manhattan's accident was not, in fact, an accident (something about the tone of Dr. Glass's writing on Dr M, the idea science fiction / comics presaging reality, and Jon Osterman's passive walking-through-life character) and it passed my mind that that might be one of the reasons Veidt was making this "play" on Dr Manhattan's creation.

This Veidt might be a creation of Dr Manhattan's as well, who knows.

2nd episode wasn't as good as the pilot but I think it's one of those things that is building up slowly.
TheMilford wrote: We're talking about TV here, not a Slint record or Albert Camus....
GrantMcNeilly
ella fitzgerald
ella fitzgerald

Postby DrAwkward on Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:16 pm

Fuckin' a, second episode kicked ass. I'm done with being intrigued and am now just all in on this show kicking ass.

Dr. Manhattan = Veidt? Hmm, i dunno...a lot must have happened in 34 years to turn Dr. M into a fucking loon. I'd believe that more from Veidt, especially since his grand scheme hasn't resulted in complete world peace and enlightenment like he expected.
Stinky Pete wrote:BDSM is a bit like Queens of the Stone Age in that it's basically fine to be into, but a bit worrying if you're obsessed with it.

Body Futures
IfIHadAHiFi
Martian Dance Invasion!
DrAwkward
Master of Cunnilingus
Master of Cunnilingus

Postby The Code is Almighty on Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:32 am

My case for Jeremy Irons being Dr. Manhattan.

They've made a point of saying that Dr. Manhattan is on Mars and doesn't need to be worried about, but we know that he can be in multiple places at the same time. Even though we're all meant to think that Jeremy Irons is Veidt, and we've seen Veidt's name in print elsewhere on the show as having gone missing, they haven't actually called him by any name. During the second episode they spent a whole lot of time talking about how Dr. Manhattan can't look like regular people which seemed like an odd thing to spend so much time on unless it was going to factor into the story. Jeremy Iron's character seems to know intimate details about Dr. Manhattan's origin story and the significance of his father being a watchmaker, and he seems to be obsessed with acting out his origin story over and over again. Also, the watch itself seems pretty important to Iron's character. And finally, one of the last things Dr. Manhattan said in the original story was that he though he might try his hand at making people and that seems to be whats happening in the Jeremy Irons arc.
jimmy two hands wrote:You can tell someone is a Grade-A asshole if the Muppets don't like them.
The Code is Almighty
Capofamiglia

Postby DrAwkward on Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:26 pm

The Code is Almighty wrote:And finally, one of the last things Dr. Manhattan said in the original story was that he though he might try his hand at making people and that seems to be whats happening in the Jeremy Irons arc.

Shit, i forgot about that.

Body Futures
IfIHadAHiFi
Martian Dance Invasion!
DrAwkward
Master of Cunnilingus
Master of Cunnilingus

Postby numberthirty on Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:59 pm

Just to point this out...

The folks who might trip over the current DC Comics' series Doomsday Clock might want to turn and run if they come across anything where it gets a mention.

While I'm not certain that it plays into what this series is doing, some of it feels like it might be leaning towards some aspects of what it is doing.
154 wrote:Are you in Voivod or something?
numberthirty

Postby stewie on Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:10 pm

DrAwkward wrote:
The Code is Almighty wrote:And finally, one of the last things Dr. Manhattan said in the original story was that he though he might try his hand at making people and that seems to be whats happening in the Jeremy Irons arc.

Shit, i forgot about that.

Would that also explain the shrimp, maybe?
stewie
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby El Protoolio on Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:31 am

Guys at the end of the book Manhattan was leaving the solar system. Yes he said he might try making life but he was splitting the scene completely. I haven’t seen the show yet so not sure why he’s back on Mars but just wanted to point that out since this is a sequel to the book and not the film.
El Protoolio
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby Incandenza on Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:45 pm

Re: Dr. Manhattan -- there's also the bit where we see the good Doctor on Mars, destroying a 'building' that looks a lot like Veidt's mansion.
Incandenza
"wild bill" hickok
"wild bill" hickok

Postby llllllllllllllllllllllll on Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:41 pm

When’s the next episode supposed to hit Amazon?
llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

dvockins wrote:Gold hardware means you are number one.
llllllllllllllllllllllll
Guardian Diety of the Planet
Guardian Diety of the Planet

Postby Nate Dort on Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:47 am

I watched E3 last night. There were some slow spots, but I like the addition of Laurie Blake in the mix.
Does anybody else get the feeling that the Jeremy Irons scenes are set in a different time? There's no modern technology, despite the presence of that Lee Perry album on the Victrola. There's been no connection to any of the events in Tulsa. He did come out and say that he was Veidt in E3 though. Not sure I believe that yet.
Nate Dort
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness

Postby jimmy two hands on Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:40 am

Nate Dort wrote:Does anybody else get the feeling that the Jeremy Irons scenes are set in a different time? There's no modern technology, despite the presence of that Lee Perry album on the Victrola. There's been no connection to any of the events in Tulsa. He did come out and say that he was Veidt in E3 though. Not sure I believe that yet.

This makes sense, I got a feeling they'll have some big reveal at the end of the season like they did with the Ed Harris/McPoyle guy in Westworld. Though it seems more like he's using old timey because of being stuck somewhere without modern technology for some reason or because he turned into a victorian cosplay dork..

Also it's a Desmond Dekker album (sorry).

jimmy two hands

Next

Return to Crap / Not Crap