Movie: Uncut Gems

crap
No votes
not crap
100%

Total votes : 26

movie: Uncut Gems

Postby travelin_pete on Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:04 am

Saw it last night, won't say much except HOLY SHIT.
travelin_pete
novitiate
novitiate

Re: movie: Uncut Gems

Postby iembalm on Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:35 pm

Looking forward to this.

On a related note, the Safdie Brothers were guests on Bill Simmons' Rewatchables podcast the other day, and the film they chose was Happy Gilmore. Quite a few Adam Sandler stories, if that's your thing.
iembalm
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby Me Again on Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:39 pm

Uncut Gems doesn't appear to be playing near here. Am pretty busy at the moment, but would like to see it, if it's not too much trouble. Outside the U.S. it might be hitting Netflix sooner than it'll be available here, for home viewing. It might be ages before I get to see it.

But I'm cautiously optimistic--some have said it outdoes Good Time, while other have said it's more mainstream-ish and lacks the interesting subtext of their previous film. We'll see.
...with Euro-Sprockets coming at you from every direction.
Me Again
the white ho
the white ho

Postby the finger genius on Sat Dec 21, 2019 4:02 pm

saw it today, definitely put a pit in my stomach, which is kind of why you would go to see this movie, right?

say that's that, mattress man.
cjh wrote:Half Man, Half Brioche?

I play drums in Eighteen Hundred and Froze to Death

I play everything in Grass Jaw
the finger genius
the white ho
the white ho

Postby tallchris on Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:43 pm

That was fucking awesome, and I was even that stressed out while watching it.*

*Took an edible w/ 10mg of THC 90 minutes before the movie started.
Bass, minivan: [BRACKETS]
Guitar, vocals: BURN PERMITS
Bass, vocals: POLICE TEETH
tallchris
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby jeff_fox on Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:01 pm

I suppose it was a very good movie. I can't exactly say I enjoyed watching it, though. My forehead was wrinkled and my teeth were grinding for the entire second half. Jews, man.
zom-zom wrote:Posterior means butt.
Gay Name|Hungry Man|MegaMaul|Blank Banker
jeff_fox
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby PARPS on Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:11 pm

Definitely NC, but I wish I liked it more, tbh. It clearly did everything it was trying to do, but as a Jew who loves basketball, I was surprised that I just thought it was pretty good. I feel like it's more New York than strictly Jewish too, as opposed to, say, A Serious Man, which felt like parts of it were only accessible if you'd interacted with several rabbis.

Still, I'm glad a movie like this is getting the kind of attention it is, and it did have one moment that genuinely shocked me in the way it was executed. Excited to see where the Safdies go from here. The score is an all-timer as well.
Last edited by PARPS on Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PARPS
utility man
utility man

Postby iembalm on Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:21 pm

I liked it enormously, and had managed to keep myself from learning spoilers beforehand, which I would strongly recommend.

Probably my second-favorite performance of the year after Dafoe in The Lighthouse. Kevin Garnett was also, surprisingly, great.

Music was very interesting. Not intuitively "correct" for the tone of the film in places, but it always works and sometimes it's perfect.

The faces in this movie!

Paul Thomas Anderson interviews the Safdies in one of the latest A24 podcasts and they talk a lot about the minutiae of filming, cinematography, etc.
iembalm
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby mattw on Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:54 pm

When I started in the counseling program, I was doing a bit of research into process/behavioral addictions, which had been added to the new DSM-V. It was pretty interesting...gambling disorder is one of them, so of course my brain was checking off all the criteria Howard was meeting in the movie. I felt like they did a good job of portraying how destructive it can be. It was a weird cross between Owning Mahowney with PS Hoffman and Bad Lieutenant. Like any addiction, your relationships go to shit, you make terrible decisions at the moment you finally are _almost_ getting your life back together, etc. Those were all covered and more. There's a key scene where Howard is wanting to give their marriage another shot- is he being sincere, or? In a lesser movie, the wife would have gotten sucked into his BS. His wife straight-up laughs in his face...and says things about him that were my exact opinions of various Adam Sandler movies back in the day! :lol:

Speaking of disorders/phobias, I had a hard time with the claustrophobic stuff- particularly the mine scene underground. Whew. Almost had to leave the theater for that. It was a very anxiety-producing movie, which was its intended effect- I know- but it made for a taxing viewing. I felt like some of the Safdie's rough edges showed in the overall construction of it, but it was a pretty solid effort overall.
mattw
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents

Postby total_douche on Sat Dec 28, 2019 9:25 am

Would not use this euphemism for an uncircumcised ween.
total_douche
penguinologist
penguinologist

Postby eliya on Sat Dec 28, 2019 2:00 pm

The first Jewish thriller? Excellent movie but it made me so anxious. Holy shit.
eliya

Postby joelb on Sat Dec 28, 2019 2:46 pm

Feels odd to say I loved or enjoyed it. I think what I enjoyed was how accurately it depicted functional addiction. Everything under control until it’s not at all. Can’t think of a movie that has done this better.
DrAwkward wrote:If SKID ROW likes them enough to take them on tour, they must have something going on, right?
joelb
tired of birds
tired of birds

Postby iembalm on Sat Dec 28, 2019 3:08 pm

You know what I would find more unbearable than the put-$165,000-in-a-bag-and-place-it-all-on-one-bet compulsion? Every single thing about the Long Island lifestyle as depicted in this film.
iembalm
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby Me Again on Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:08 am

Good Time is definitely the better, more subtext-rich, tightly paced film, but Uncut Gems is still pretty good. Would probably give it 3 1/2 out of 5 stars, upon first viewing, but could see someone going higher or lower based on personal taste.

Barring the CG gem sequences, visually this one isn't as interesting as Good Time. And being more padded out in terms of plot it lacks its more captivating narrative progression. I expected more tension, or exhilaration, based on people's descriptions of it--in this sense the stakes here don't feel as high as they do in one of the more fleshed-out Dardennes films, or classic prison escape films like A Man Escaped or Le Trou.

But all told Uncut Gems is a compelling window into the pratfalls of gambling addiction. Sports betting isn't something I've seen profiled in depth in a lot of movies, the constant double-or-nothing wagers bound to end in ruin. Ratner is definitely a boorish prick at times, excitable and combative to a fault, and prone to chaos, but I think Sandler disappearing into the role lends him some much-needed likability. Not Crap.
...with Euro-Sprockets coming at you from every direction.
Me Again
the white ho
the white ho

Postby Ranxerox on Mon Dec 30, 2019 2:31 pm

iembalm wrote:Music was very interesting. Not intuitively "correct" for the tone of the film in places, but it always works and sometimes it's perfect.

The sound design was Oscar-worthy and the incidental soundtrack helped to make he viewing fever-dream-like. Wendy Carlos/Tangerine Dream territory. Loved it.

The film overall was very well done. Taut and absurd and grimey crimey. I like that kind of thing.

NC
Ranxerox
forced to change shirt
forced to change shirt

Postby eliya on Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:21 pm

eliya

Postby llllllllllllllllllllllll on Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:37 pm

So fucking good. It was wild
llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

Lesser Snake “Bali Gold”
llllllllllllllllllllllll
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby Ike on Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:22 pm

Fantastic, incredibly bleak film. Absolutely blistering pace.

Pulled off a really rare trick of momentarily forcing you to be invested in a complete fucking shithead's awful choices.

KG ruled in it. First role for him, I think? He was great.

Some actual characters on display here--the two dudes in the pawn shop for instance.

Will watch again.
Ike
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity

Postby llllllllllllllllllllllll on Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:58 pm

Ike wrote:Some actual characters on display here--the two dudes in the pawn shop for instance.

Will watch again.

llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

Lesser Snake “Bali Gold”
llllllllllllllllllllllll
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby tmidgett on Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:39 pm

Those casting notes are great.

Inspired film. Really liked it, have thought about it a lot.

Pretty deep movie. There's a lot of stuff in there about grasping for something just for the sake of doing it, to feel alive. Following your nose, finding occasional delight, then being led totally astray by it.
tmidgett
Present-day God
Present-day God

Next

Return to Crap / Not Crap