Crap
5%
Not Crap
95%

Total votes : 133

Re: Band: Gang of Four

Postby Redline on Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:40 am

tallchris wrote:
Redline wrote:Gang of Four at SHANK HALL in Milwaukee?
Thursday February 14, 2019 8:00pm $35.00

That's pretty great!

It's just Andy Gill and some other dudes at this point, right?

Yeah, but I saw PIL, too.
Redline
World's Greatest Lover
World's Greatest Lover

Postby Bernardo on Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:58 pm

I ran monitors for their São Paulo shows last month, they played the entirety of Entertainment (not in order), three songs from Solid Gold, I Love a Man..., To Hell With Poverty and maybe five or six post-reformation songs. Worth seeing if you're a fan, I think. From the new guys the most faithful to the original arrangements was the drummer.
Bernardo
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby Malice on Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:38 am

I've been meaning to listen to these guys more, but Entertainment! is a fine album. They're playing nearby in SF soon, which is awesome.
Malice
judge
judge

Postby Redline on Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:05 pm

The Milwaukee show was great, even in a seeing old friends way.

Andy Gill is awesome, go see them. The band is solid.
Redline
World's Greatest Lover
World's Greatest Lover

Postby Redline on Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:05 pm

When I saw Gang of Four the first time, Andy had an unknown pre-amp and two Peavy 800 PA- whatever power amps and two Marshall 4 X 12's.

He had two Peavy combo amps this time.

Peavy is GO!
Redline
World's Greatest Lover
World's Greatest Lover

Postby Verbs & Nouns on Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:07 am

Gang of Four Australian / NZ tour has been postponed due to Andy Gill being ill.

As a result of Andy Gill suffering from a serious chest infection (which has been causing him breathing problems) he has been advised by his doctor not to fly and so we need to postpone the Australia & New Zealand tour to November.
Verbs & Nouns
alan's bitch
alan's bitch

Postby Me Again on Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:21 pm

Andy Gill R.I.P.

A stellar guitarist who took more than a couple of cues from Wilko Johnson's playing style and applied them to coy Marxist post-punk with astonishing results.

That run of recordings from their early singles and Entertainment! to Songs of the Free will never diminish. And some things after then are also of interest.

I bought the Peel Sessions CD (one of their best recordings) at Northstar Music in Wauwatosa at age seventeen and it was probably the first post-punk thing I ever owned.

Only got to see Gang of Four once, with the original four members, and they seemed to be having a little bit of a off night to be honest, but man, revisiting their music now (for the umpteenth time) it's all too evident what a great band they were...just on fire back in the day. Often imitated but never bettered.
...with Euro-Sprockets coming at you from every direction.
Me Again
the white ho
the white ho

Postby Redline on Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:12 pm

I'll add myself to the list of old people that got to see Gang of Four a few times. Even with Sara Lee..!

Andy Gill was pretty much "the band"... RIP.

Northstar Music in Wauwatosa

Dang, Joe worked with me at Record Head before he opened North Star Music...!

Small world.
Redline
World's Greatest Lover
World's Greatest Lover

Postby M.H on Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:16 pm

Their best music is still very strong and stark and startling. ‘Anthrax’ in particular is so singularly brilliant: the whole thing rewrites and twists the form - a new kind of guitar heroics, sexless and calculatedly vicious skronk.

Still prefer Solid Gold to Entertainment sonically, even though the latter has more hard jams. They definitely suffered in the long term for taking a more theoretical and reductive approach, but I think they (unlike early P.I.L, early Banshees) still rocked hard, no matter how much they tried to frustrate themselves. Their best stuff is so cold that you get freezer burn.

Songs of the Free is not as bad as many say (it works well enough when the material is strong), but it’s a sharp decline afterwards.

Easy N.C.
M.H
jose raul capablanca
jose raul capablanca

Postby Clyde on Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:02 pm

Deeply sad about Andy Gill's passing. Along with Rowland Howard, another giant gone too soon, he was my favorite rock guitarist. Gang of Four was hugely important to me to the extent that while many of you were out there discovering Slint or whatever at 16 I was listening to Mall and going to see Greil Marcus speak only so I could have him autograph the liner notes of my tape copy of A Brief History of the Twentieth Century. I actually still have a fair amount of affection for the later, bad records. Content was way better than it had a right to be and they were fantastic on that tour when I saw them, even though King and Gill were the only remaining original members. Needless to say Entertainment and Solid Gold are essential. Songs of the Free is not quite at the same level but still a very good record. As for the rest, as I said, I still have a lot of affection for them and they all havae some buried treasures.
NewDarkAge wrote:Dialectics, mate. No easy answers.
Clyde
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby Heaven is in your beard on Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:48 pm

Me Again wrote:Andy Gill R.I.P.

I bought the Peel Sessions CD (one of their best recordings) at Northstar Music in Wauwatosa at age seventeen and it was probably the first post-punk thing I ever owned.

Only got to see Gang of Four once, with the original four members, and they seemed to be having a little bit of a off night to be honest, but man, revisiting their music now (for the umpteenth time) it's all too evident what a great band they were...just on fire back in the day. Often imitated but never bettered.

I'd go further than that and opine that "The Peel Sessions Album" were THE best recordings they ever did. I like the first two studio albums a lot, along with some of the third one (best if we just forget about "Hard", methinks) - but like the Only Ones their message was sometimes a little blunted in the studio by overly polite-sounding major label production. Going by the one time I saw them in 2005 - which was a great gig, incidentally - the Peel sessions were much more representative of how they sounded live.
The panda made me do it.
Heaven is in your beard
intern
intern

Postby Antero on Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:39 pm

Andy Gill is why I bought an electric guitar. Rest in power.
Is you crazy baby, I gots to grind
Antero
World's Greatest Lover
World's Greatest Lover

Postby Me Again on Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:46 pm

Heaven is in your beard wrote:I'd go further than that and opine that "The Peel Sessions Album" were THE best recordings they ever did. I like the first two studio albums a lot, along with some of the third one (best if we just forget about "Hard", methinks) - but like the Only Ones their message was sometimes a little blunted in the studio by overly polite-sounding major label production. Going by the one time I saw them in 2005 - which was a great gig, incidentally - the Peel sessions were much more representative of how they sounded live.

The drums on their Peel Sessions recordings are a little more antiseptic, not as upfront and "clubby" sounding as they are on Entertainment! and all, but there's a good case to made for that^^^. The non-album versions of "5.45" and "I Found That Essence Rare" are without a doubt better performances of those tracks than the ones on the album, and I'm sure there are others. The Peel Sessions version of "To Hell With Poverty" is a bit too sluggish though, and not as good as the one on that original EP, in my opinion.
Me Again
the white ho
the white ho

Postby 154 on Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:22 am

I've been listening for days now thinking I'd get really sad about it, but instead I just keep getting fired up over how great so many of those songs are. We'd all be lucky to leave behind something half as good.
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby Me Again on Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:33 am

It's elemental music, the kind of stuff that never rots.

Fun fact: I was born around the time Entertainment! was released. You know what else came out that month? 154 and The Pleasure Principle.
Me Again
the white ho
the white ho

Previous

Return to Crap / Not Crap