home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Dude: Nate Silver

Vote and debate.

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Dude: Nate Silver

Person who renders all pundits, talking heads, and self-proclaimed experts useless
71%
NEEEEEEEEEEERDD!!!!
29%

Total votes : 45

Re: Dude: Nate Silver

Postby Angus Jung on Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:15 pm

Clyde wrote:Nate Silver continues to embarrass himself as a guy with some thoughts: https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/statu ... 3174137856

After getting roasted for this tweet to the point where he was trending on Twitter yesterday, Nate went with the old "I was just doing an irony" shuck:
Not everything I tweet is meant to be taken literally; a lot is sarcastic, contextual, trollish, etc., or is spitballing ideas in real-time. But I can't really expect you all to know which things are in which categories. So think I need to stick to more literal-minded tweets TBH.

Please go away dude.
Angus Jung
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby Clyde on Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:54 pm

Angus Jung wrote:
Clyde wrote:Nate Silver continues to embarrass himself as a guy with some thoughts: https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/statu ... 3174137856

After getting roasted for this tweet to the point where he was trending on Twitter yesterday, Nate went with the old "I was just doing an irony" shuck:
Not everything I tweet is meant to be taken literally; a lot is sarcastic, contextual, trollish, etc., or is spitballing ideas in real-time. But I can't really expect you all to know which things are in which categories. So think I need to stick to more literal-minded tweets TBH.

Please go away dude.

538 becomes a pretty fun read if you assume they're all doing ironic shitposting.
NewDarkAge wrote:Dialectics, mate. No easy answers.
Clyde
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby askii on Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:59 pm

Clyde wrote:
Angus Jung wrote:

Please go away dude.

538 becomes a pretty fun read if you assume they're all doing ironic shitposting.

538chan
askii
julie from mod squad
julie from mod squad

Postby Clyde on Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:30 pm

When you don't mean to be taken literally because you are being sarcastic, contextual, trollish, etc., but can't really expect other people to know
https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/statu ... 8188226560
Clyde

Postby Clyde on Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:44 pm

Nate Silver once described Peggy Noonan, apparently without irony, as someone who is “very good at rhetoric and argument.”

And

Though he later dressed it up as a noble transparency initiative, Silver initially saw data-driven political forecasting as a business opportunity, and nothing about that transactional view of politics has left him in the years since. This is why, for example, Silver has characterized the financial crisis as a failure of prediction rather than a failure of policy, regulation, or political imagination—a claim as bold as it is myopic. And it is why FiveThirtyEight, which Silver conceived in 2008 while drunk on Cajun martinis waiting for a flight out of New Orleans, remains, to this day, a political website with no politics—or rather, no politics beyond a mute approval of the status quo.
Clyde

Postby seanurban on Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:01 pm

I have to wonder why anyone would care about Nate Silver's politics unless they previously bought into the idea that he might be on their side for no other reason than he was good at math.
seanurban
King High

Postby Wood Goblin on Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:15 pm

Silver’s slide into a pundit cliche is dispiriting, to say the least.

But I agree with him on Noonan. She’s a force for evil, and yes, you can find plenty of idiotic positions and comments that came from her, but she was a masterful speechwriter when she worked for Reagan. I used to teach some of those speeches when I taught freshman comp and speech. Rhetorically, they really were brilliant. Evil, but brilliant.

And you can’t blame Noonan for HW’s reversal on taxes, come on. You can credit her for phrasing something in a manner that people remember decades later.
Wood Goblin
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby Clyde on Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:24 pm

Wood Goblin wrote:Silver’s slide into a pundit cliche is dispiriting, to say the least.

But I agree with him on Noonan. She’s a force for evil, and yes, you can find plenty of idiotic positions and comments that came from her, but she was a masterful speechwriter when she worked for Reagan. I used to teach some of those speeches when I taught freshman comp and speech. Rhetorically, they really were brilliant. Evil, but brilliant.

And you can’t blame Noonan for HW’s reversal on taxes, come on. You can credit her for phrasing something in a manner that people remember decades later.

Begging to differ about the masterful speechwriter bit. To me that's like saying Bon Jovi are master songwriters because Livin' on a Prayer is insanely catchy.

But, whatever, if you read the article and follow the link, it's clear Silver wasn't talking about Noonan's speechwriting but her punditry.

And too often we let pundits reinforce our convictions with a noisy blend of spin and hokum, whether on climate change or Romney vs. Obama. “Peggy Noonan is someone who is very, very skilled at making bullshit look like some elegant soufflé,” Silver says. “She’s very good at rhetoric and argument, but it’s still not grounded in the truth—it all falls apart every four years, but I don’t think she’ll be out of a job any time soon.”

Funny thing is, his quote about Noonan could almost as easily be applied to himself these days, except I don't think anybody is out there saying he's good at rhetoric and argument.
Clyde

Postby Get dog costumes on Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:23 pm

Hahaha. This is my favorite work he's done in a while

https://fivethirtyeight.com/live-blog/iowa-caucus-2020-election-live/255570/
Marsupialized wrote:She had a gun, so I did it. I had the decency to go into a stall to do it, though.
Get dog costumes
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity

Previous

Return to Crap / Not Crap