Joe Rogan

Crap
69%
Not Crap
31%

Total votes : 85

Re: Comedian: Joe Rogan

Postby enframed on Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:19 am

Has Rogan really "attacked" marginalized people? He says some frat-boy level stupid shit (was that an attack?), indeed, but I don't think I've ever heard him say anything that seemed like an attack.
Records for sale.

Those most doomed to repeat history are those who know it best.
enframed
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby Andrew. on Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:16 pm

enframed wrote:Has Rogan really "attacked" marginalized people? He says some frat-boy level stupid shit (was that an attack?), indeed, but I don't think I've ever heard him say anything that seemed like an attack.

Maybe because it didn't apply to you or anyone you love?

There is something to be said for Rogan just being a know-nothing idiot. But if he's a lint roller that picks up whatever he rolls across, he still spends an inordinate amount of time rolling across the Jordan Petersons of the world, and no one's putting a gun to his head to do that, while he's selling his Alpha Brain supplements.
Andrew.
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby VaticanShotglass on Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:59 pm

Me Again wrote:
I don't take issue with any of this, unless it's brought to some kind of unreasonable extreme. Not being an asshole is all well and good. But what we're (or at least I'm) talking about here is not whether being "woke" is valid, but rather whether this impulse or outlook should supersede everything else at all times. In other words, do we always, at every single opportunity, have to flex this particular muscle, even if it causes unnecessary or unproductive division where it need not be, when more pressing or even more general or unrelated matters are at hand. Does every single situation have to be some kind of ideological battleground, in which one isn't willing to give an inch and all principles must be adhered to before anything gets done and people agree to work together...?

Doubtful.

Gotcha. I'd answer, no. At the same time I don't view Rogan's good as significant enough to minimize these aspects. But neither am I trying to "cancel" him. I'm just promoting a conversational "surgeon's general warning" when it comes to him.

Oh, I don't blame you. I wouldn't want to do that either. But I'm just generally curious if anything he's said or done is demonstrably worse than the sort of things Bill Burr or Jim Norton or Jim Jeffries say in their acts or informal chats. Maybe I'll watch Rogan's special on Netflix sometime and see if it has any "attacks" that would be the hallmark of a genuine "bigot" (someone else's words, not mine).

I don't know Burr, Norton, or Jeffries. I only know Rogan from so many young dudes I know telling me how awesome he is. Like everybody's kid brother is super into the dude, and a good few of them glom onto the parts I take issue with. To speculate it seems they enjoy it in part because it feels good and lazy and crass to be dismissive of emerging social/cultural issues rather than having to think them through or feel uncomfortable about people getting hurt out there.

So he is probably on par with those other dudes. I don't follow contemporary comedy too much. Never really followed stand up (I prefer absurdist stuff, maybe). I enjoy crass and impolite things though. I just find some stand ups really boring and lazy if their thing is to whine (or rant, rant is the cool way to do it) about people whining.

Just formally speaking, I've heard it all before from the racists I grew up with. "Ya hear what the BLANKS are getting away with these days?!? *eyes wide open, mouth open in suspense* They want my respect how now!?!? *Growl, Furrow brow, drag knuckles* That's just not conventional thinking!?!? *curl lips like a baboon* Talk about entitlement."
VaticanShotglass
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom

Postby Angus Jung on Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:33 pm

Angus Jung
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby seanurban on Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:26 pm

When is James Franco going to get uncanceled? Neil de grasse Tyson didn't have to wait this long.
seanurban
King High

Postby Angus Jung on Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:31 pm

seanurban wrote:When is James Franco going to get uncanceled?

He has a couple of movies coming out this year, per his imdb page, with certainly more to follow.
Angus Jung
Present-day God
Present-day God

thanks

Postby seanurban on Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:47 pm

That doesn't mean the market has spoken. He's still problematic.
seanurban
King High

Postby biscuitdough on Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:42 pm

Cancel culture and shitty white men who set themselves up as heroic iconoclasts by being assholes: two things that can be bad at the same time.
biscuitdough
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby addley on Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:50 pm

addley
forced to change shirt
forced to change shirt

Postby the_joe_lemur on Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:59 pm

addley wrote:

Her videos just keep getting longer.

Next one's gonna be four hours at this rate
The FM formerly known as lemur68

sulfur)addict wrote:Jordan Peterson is the Limp Bizkit of educated thought.
the_joe_lemur
curler
curler

Postby seanurban on Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:04 pm

This super bowl we forgive you Stallone, Kevin Hart, Anthony Anderson, usher, and Microsoft.
Just don't uncancel Amber Heard please.
seanurban
King High

Postby Get dog costumes on Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:20 pm

Common as Light and Love are Red Valleys of Blood | Contrapoints
Marsupialized wrote:She had a gun, so I did it. I had the decency to go into a stall to do it, though.
Get dog costumes
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity

Postby Angus Jung on Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:13 am

biscuitdough wrote:shitty white men who set themselves up as heroic iconoclasts by being assholes

Neat trick - Dave Chappelle and Aziz Ansari got 'cancelled' and became shitty white male iconoclasts.
Angus Jung
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby Wood Goblin on Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:54 am

On Franco: David Chase wanted the writers’ room for The Deuce to be a model of diversity and hired several high-profile writers to ensure it, including the fantastic novelist Megan Abbott. Franco’s abusive behavior put all that effort into jeopardy.
Wood Goblin
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby seanurban on Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:55 pm

Wood Goblin wrote:On Franco: David Chase wanted the writers’ room for The Deuce to be a model of diversity and hired several high-profile writers to ensure it, including the fantastic novelist Megan Abbott. Franco’s abusive behavior put all that effort into jeopardy.
Interesting... I love the Sopranos so after looking into it I think you meant David Simon.
Anyway I'm not here to say what's true and what's gossip. Time will tell, as with most things.
seanurban
King High

Postby Wood Goblin on Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:30 pm

Oops, yes: David Simon.
Wood Goblin
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby addley on Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:43 pm

the_joe_lemur wrote:Her videos just keep getting longer.

Next one's gonna be four hours at this rate

Not sure if you are aware, but Contrapoints was canceled not too long ago, got a bit of eyes on it as well. An appropriate amount of time I think to cover such a dramatic personal experience, though it's definitely funny how some topics drive video creators to make things feature length.

I was in the spaces it started in as it was happening, and the venom around it was really something to behold. I really drew a lot of negative attention to myself in the past weighing in, and have gotten all my various novel identities revoked for the crime of a different opinion. I've become more incredibly disillusioned in leftist discussion online, which for me is primarily a problem with discussion format (just look at the mechanics of twitter).

For anyone who thinks that """canceling""" is purely a boogieman for male comedians to complain about, I feel like you have the option of being
A) Ignorant
or
B) Willfully ignorant
as to what it's like being a "normal" non-celebrity type person out there attempting to talk about these topics, especially on the internet. These experiences tend to be framed in the perspectives of the famous and semi-famous, however let me report to you from The Trenches that this is a phenomenon which is not exclusive to those with a sizable audience. So if you are really invested in winning the Culture War, you should maybe be mindful of what it's like for the average person to be in these conversations, especially when the support of canceling, or the denial of its existence, curiously earns a lot of other people Good Boy Points themselves.

To drift back into the subject of the thread, of course I support Joe Rogan's support of Bernie, because I want to win.
addley
forced to change shirt
forced to change shirt

Postby Boombats on Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:09 pm

addley wrote:...what it's like being a "normal" non-celebrity type person out there attempting to talk about these topics, especially on the internet. These experiences tend to be framed in the perspectives of the famous and semi-famous, however let me report to you from The Trenches that this is a phenomenon which is not exclusive to those with a sizable audience. So if you are really invested in winning the Culture War, you should maybe be mindful of what it's like for the average person to be in these conversations, especially when the support of canceling, or the denial of its existence, curiously earns a lot of other people Good Boy Points themselves.

So, what's it like?
Escape Rope / Blxck Onion / Black Mesa
warmowski wrote:Fire back, absolutely, always and forever no matter how much it blows Andy's mind.
Boombats
Analingus Eggnog

Postby addley on Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:44 am

You keep running into problems like this because of reasons like this.
addley
forced to change shirt
forced to change shirt

Postby Wood Goblin on Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:12 pm

Joe Rogan said that he would vote for Trump over Biden because Trump would be more able to handle things. Rogan said this on April 4th, 2020.

Biden sucks, but that’s fucking crazy.
Wood Goblin
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap