49%
not crap
51%

Total votes : 154

Re: band:deftones

Postby J_Temperance on Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:39 pm

Gramsci wrote:
Anthony Flack wrote:

haha, you can see why there are tensions within that band.

New album out.

Those of you that don't like them will not like it.

I do, a lot. They seem to do albums in twos this is definitely a move from the last record. Oddly a lot of the songs' vibe remind me of the Jawbox cover they did.

phpBB [media]

I actually think this whole "Jawbox influenced" thing is true from White Pony onwards. Seriously, I just see Deftones as Atlantic-era Jawbox with metal distortion in the guitars, a similar melodic sense, similar time-signature screwiness and a similarly kickass drummer on the kit. This is especially apparent in the aforementioned White Pony and in their first 2 albums with Quicksand dude on bass (haven't heard the new one). I have a low tolerance for 'brah'ness in music, yet the non-shitty qualities in the Deftones' stuff offset the vibe (which mostly comes from their fanbase and Chino Moreno's occasional unfortunate way-breathy vocal).
J_Temperance
general studio assistant
general studio assistant

Postby Get dog costumes on Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:51 pm

Four years' bump

I've been listening to "Hexagram" all day. I've horsed around with the rest of the s/t and later records, and with Adrenaline, but it's all about Around the Fur and White Pony for me. It's stunning how deeply this band swam the waters of rap-metal, Hum, post-hardcore, Tool, having a turntablist, and other things I'm not into, and stayed so distinct from them. I know the oblique lyrical/vocal approach (as opposed to Limp Bizkit or something) and their non-showy, team-first ethic have something to do with it, but those only prevent badness and can't account for great music alone.

Someone, probably an FM, said they were the cross of FNM and Helmet, and since that's true and I like those two bands, that would explain it, but I'm still amazed how the music is constantly a 5 degree turn to the right from being total dreck and instead it's so rad.

Pretty silly that I'm getting way into this band in my mid-thirties. They were right in front of me in their heyday, on air and in stores. Maybe the Around the Fur jacket was too racy and put me off? There's no reason a young Our Lady Peace fan shouldn't have glommed right onto this stuff. Man, I hope all us Our Lady Peace fans were young.

"Korea" is my favorite of their songs if I had to pick.
steve wrote:There's nothing like making a useful item for the house.
Get dog costumes
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity

Postby numberthirty on Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:44 pm

Biggie bonus points for Stephen going into "Simple Man" before shifting into this one.

154 wrote:Are you in Voivod or something?
numberthirty
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby M.H on Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:38 am

I like them a little bit more than I did when I last posted because I really got into Diamond Eyes.
That's a really consistent record (something they struggled w/ on earlier releases), extra kudos points for pulling themselves out of drug-inertia and getting over losing a band mate. Check it out if you haven't.

I'd N.C them without any hesitation, but I have to throw in a few waffles for Stephen Carpenter, who plays the same stuff all the time but down-tunes a half-step and/or adds another string to his guitar every other album to hide his lack of imagination. At least the eight string hasn't impacted on the melodic element of their music, but I get the feeling he's a problem the rest of the band have to navigate around.
M.H
cmdr. william adama
cmdr. william adama

Postby Get dog costumes on Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:56 pm

M.H wrote:I like them a little bit more than I did when I last posted because I really got into Diamond Eyes.
That's a really consistent record (something they struggled w/ on earlier releases), extra kudos points for pulling themselves out of drug-inertia and getting over losing a band mate. Check it out if you haven't.

I'd N.C them without any hesitation, but I have to throw in a few waffles for Stephen Carpenter, who plays the same stuff all the time but down-tunes a half-step and/or adds another string to his guitar every other album to hide his lack of imagination. At least the eight string hasn't impacted on the melodic element of their music, but I get the feeling he's a problem the rest of the band have to navigate around.

The later records are more consistent; they've all got that anthemic, soaring, kinda predictable element all over them. It's even creeping in on the s/t. The first three are tops. I like your point about Carpenter though; sometimes I like how he just hammers nails, since they're that kind of band, but it sounds like he's got the worst taste of all of them. Even on the early records, there's chugga-chugga that ought to be muting. I feel like I've read the others mocking his 8-string in interviews.

Came here to say that Abe Cunningham is John Stanier plus Stewart Copeland (divided by two and change). Listening to "Fireal" on repeat lately.
steve wrote:There's nothing like making a useful item for the house.
Get dog costumes

Postby first2letters on Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:28 pm

Their best stuff revels in contradictions and opposing forces: quiet/loud, masculine/feminine, chugging/atmospheric, dumb on the surface/smart in execution.

Chino Moreno is one of my favorite metal vocalists because he's so completely out of place and yet so absolutely perfect for the music they're making. Their more obvious influences — Helmet, Jawbox, Cocteau Twins, Depeche Mode — should make them a trainwreck, but they somehow manage to create harmony from the tension between these influences. I've seen them on terrible nights, and I've seen them deliver performances so powerful that my eyes welled up and my neck hair stood on end.

They don't make sense to me, and that's why I love them.
first2letters
osiris
osiris

Postby M.H on Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:21 pm

Get dog costumes wrote:The later records are more consistent; they've all got that anthemic, soaring, kinda predictable element all over them. It's even creeping in on the s/t. The first three are tops.

Ah, I dunno about that, even though I used to agree with you.

The debut isn't so hot, IMO. The follow up gets more right than wrong. White Pony is such a big leap forward from what they'd done previously, but it's all quite schizophrenic. You know, lush song, big epic tuneful song, screamy song, etc etc. I think the high points on albums 2 and 3 are very, very high though.

The next two are so impaired by drugs and darkness I'm surprised only one of them died - they're running on empty by Saturday Night Wrist. There's a Motley Crue style book to come out that period, I've heard rumours of such dysfunction and debauchery...

So I was surprised how bright and focused Diamond Eyes was - they managed to pull the lush and violent elements of their sound together on most songs (esp CMND-CTRL) as opposed to bouncing between extremes across the course of an album.

Listen to Diamond Eyes, is what I'm saying.

Agree that Abe is their secret weapon, he's an excellent musician.
M.H
cmdr. william adama
cmdr. william adama

Postby A_Man_Who_Tries on Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:59 pm

Saturday Night Wrist is their most-interesting record, though I enjoy them all. Pretty consistent, with maybe the s/t a half-step behind the rest.
maintain a healthy foe list
A_Man_Who_Tries
forced to change shirt
forced to change shirt

Postby Mickey242 on Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:36 pm

I always have liked them. Some tracks off their last four albums are a little boring but all and all I think they have an impressive body of work. Their sound has also evolved from what it started out as. They are way better then say Korn or Slipknot, both of which I can't stand.
I would have to say that the drums on the beginning of My Own Summer are one of the greatest I have ever heard, like a "dump truck being dropped off the Empire State building". Also the vocal processing on the song Elite really make it highly aggressive with out being stupid.

Yeah not crap.
Much better then the new Tool album.
"There's a feeling I get when I look to the West"
Mickey242
hemingway
hemingway

Postby Gramsci on Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:32 am

So... White Pony is 20 years old today. Who’s feeling old?

First time I heard it I was a 24 year old just moved from small city New Zealand to crashing at a friend’s squat in Hackney, London in notorious housing project. A substantial amount of fun was had the night before... a party that basically looked like the video to Change but way grimmer.

Still think it’s a high water mark.
clocker bob may 30, 2006 wrote:I think the possibility of interbreeding between an earthly species and an extraterrestrial species is as believable as any other explanation for the existence of George W. Bush.
Gramsci
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Previous

Return to Crap / Not Crap