home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Equipment: Peavey

Vote and debate.

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

What does it fell like to be Peavey-powered?

Not Crap?
62%
Crap?
20%
Diarrhea?
18%

Total votes : 151

Re: Equipment: Peavey

Postby Redline on Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:42 pm

I was in a duo with a guy that had a 70's Peavey Mace solid state head with a built-in Phase Shifter. ..!

It sounded good.
Redline
World's Greatest Lover
World's Greatest Lover

Postby Riff Magnum on Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:56 am

I thought the Mace was tube?
Riff Magnum
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity

Postby Redline on Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:57 am

Riff Magnum wrote:I thought the Mace was tube?

You're right. Maybe it was a Deuce…

A Deuce. Solid State. Lynyrd Skynyrd used the same amp.
Redline
World's Greatest Lover
World's Greatest Lover

Postby biscuitdough on Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:07 pm

Mace, Deuce, Classic and Festival all had tube power and solid state preamps, a la Music Man. Unlike Music Man, no half power switch and, I'm pretty sure, not class B.

Festival was discontinued first. The others were remade in VT versions, with a different sound and an onboard phaser instead of tremolo.
biscuitdough
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby fvckbikes on Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:43 pm

my t60 is the best guitar ive played and i have a lot
fvckbikes
cardinal
cardinal

Postby drorsh4 on Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:44 pm

I bet (some) people can make very good sounding records, in all kinds of genres, using ONLY Peavey products (including cables).

Not crap whatsoever.
drorsh4
comrade
comrade

Postby oZZma on Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:11 pm

drorsh4 wrote:I bet (some) people can make very good sounding records, in all kinds of genres, using ONLY Peavey products (including cables).

I had been toying with the idea, for a short time :smt005
vade retro Santana
oZZma
ralph wiggums
ralph wiggums

Postby Redline on Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:35 pm

Redline
World's Greatest Lover
World's Greatest Lover

Postby Boombats on Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:47 pm

When I worked at a music store we had the big Peavey catalog and those drums were in it. Grand Funk Railroad dude was the endorsee. I don't know shit about GFR but god damn would I love a set.
Escape Rope / Blxck Onion / Black Mesa
warmowski wrote:Fire back, absolutely, always and forever no matter how much it blows Andy's mind.
Boombats
Analingus Eggnog

Postby Redline on Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:07 pm

Boombats wrote:When I worked at a music store we had the big Peavey catalog and those drums were in it. Grand Funk Railroad dude was the endorsee. I don't know shit about GFR but god damn would I love a set.

I saw them when he was playing the Peavey's. I was kind of Gear Angry because I wanted to see a red sparkle Ludwig kit out of pure nostalgia.

Start with the black and white Live Album and Closer To Home, thank me later.
Redline
World's Greatest Lover
World's Greatest Lover

Postby bishopdante on Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:52 pm

There are things about Peavey that customers familiar with the peavey bandit rehearsal room items aren't aware of: https://peaveycommercialaudio.com/beiji ... ort-china/

Through the flexibility and scalability of MediaMatrix® and the networkable power of Crest
Audio® amplifiers, Beijing Capital International Airport’s Terminal 3 connects more than 600
zones of audio and communications with monitoring and control for the entire facility. These
zones include concourses, shuttle train platforms, luggage carousels, check-in counters,
lounges, lavatories and more, in addition to 120 gates and more than 200 paging stations.

The design and operation of the Beijing International Airport T3 called for constant monitoring
and auto redundant backup of all systems. To accomplish this, MediaMatrix
Control Manager™ software provides monitoring and control for audio, network switches, and many other
third-party devices, while a team of 260 Crest Audio Ci™ 20×8 power amplifiers outfitted with
NexSys® Nx CobraNet-8 modules are deployed through the terminal.

The Crest Audio power amplifiers feature built-in monitoring of both health and audio
performance such as core temperature, speaker load status and other critical values, and the
NexSys Nx CobraNet-8 modules send that information over the network to Control Manager
on a NION® network, allowing every amplifier channel to be constantly monitored
in real time. The nControl sends communicates back through the same network to tell the
amplifier to turn on/off, change the volume levels, alter signal routing between the various
amplifier channels, or simply take itself offline or online when a fault may occur, allowing
another amplifier to take its place to ensure the audio or messages gets through. All this is done
automatically without human intervention, 24 hours a day, every day.

Various companies offer out of the box integration with these high reliability audio systems and controllers. https://www.dbaudio.com/global/en/solut ... iamatrix/#

______

I own a few Crest power amps, and they are wonderful unassuming black boxes of reliability.
bishopdante
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge

Postby seanurban on Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:33 pm

So you're saying China is using Peavy gear to spy on travelers and detect coronavirus?
seanurban
King High

Postby bishopdante on Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:21 am

No, I'm saying that the announcement systems run on that gear.
bishopdante

Postby seanurban on Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:14 pm

bishopdante wrote:No, I'm saying that the announcement systems run on that gear.

Ok then allow me to say it.
seanurban
King High

Postby bishopdante on Tue Mar 03, 2020 7:51 am

seanurban wrote:
bishopdante wrote:No, I'm saying that the announcement systems run on that gear.

Ok then allow me to say it.

Only if it's an emergency, and only if you know how the thing works and have the necessary access.

By monitoring and control, they are specifically talking about the monitoring and control of audio systems like amplifiers. If a speaker cable gets cut, or the power fails out somewhere, the system reports and takes action. Some of the demo rigs for high-reliability disaster-proof emergency announcement systems involve an audience of sound engineers being given an open invitation and some bolt cutters to trash the system, cut cables and unplug stuff, and witness the system failing over to battery powered backup speakers so that public announcements are uninterrupted. A lot of this stuff was invented in the wake of Hillsborough and the screw-ups with crowd control, where control rooms lost sync with safety features, and the whole thing melted down like a nuclear disaster. When it comes to big crowds and panic, it's no joke, and a lot of large scale installations are not safe, and are an unknown number of minutes from an absolute unrestrained disaster at any time. Any time. The USA has it as bad as anywhere, and in terms of creaking infrastructure the shipping dams currently delaying container shipments in Illinois were made from wood in the great depression and aren't fixable let alone routinely maintained, let alone considering what would happen if a biological outbreak occurred at Chicago Midway, Fort Lauderdale, or Detroit Metropolitan. The issues with scary creaky paper thin ice and industrial disaster are bad in China, but the USA has some of the world's top A-list scary situations and zombie-apocalypse industrial features.

Bit like Grenfell, or the explosion at Tianjin docks, some accidents waiting to happen are very obvious with hindsight, and most people involved in the crooked houses of disaster mismanagement will tell you "it doesn't surprise me in the slightest" when something rotten rises up and swallows some innocent folk.

Some systems are obviously dangerous, others look safe but aren't. Some secure systems will lock operators out, and take control like terminator, screwing you. Government bureaucracy can be like that, especially when dealing with chinese government officials and an assortment of fake and genuine documents and no knowledge about who made them, or where they were made, or how much it cost to get it like that. It's a millenium-egg problem, and the assorted banditry and fraud catalogued in centuries and millennia of chinese literature is arguably unparalleled anywhere in the world, eg: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Book_of_Swindles maoism isn't even the beginning, and certainly isn't the ending. Complex and dangerous. Chinese gangs are no joke.

Whoever it is doing shifts as head of clandestine security for Beijing Airport will have some hair raising stories, you can be sure of that.

Same if you spend any time in China, a lot of the military and civil measures that are considered draconian, alien and extreme in the abstract, in the western press, but in the context of the actual conditions involved seem all the more painful and unjust, but in the actual situation looking at the crazy, volatile, dangerous, petascale nature of modern china, and the genuine impossibility of even moderately containing the chaotic aspects inherent to the level of activity and density, the prospect of an instant relaxation or disappearance of law & order as Maoist totalitarianism has applied it... seems like a very scary prospect. The lid could come off. The wheels would come off. The factories would be on fire, leaking their toxic contents. 21st century chinese civil war / rioting... It'd be spectacularly awful. Just like what Iraq got after Saddam's regime was deposed, and the whole middle east is a mess, it is very apparent when dealing with beijing levels of heavy duty that paper-thin fragile processes will be ineffective, and that what appears to be heavy handed military governance is a semi effective attempt to maintain order on a mega-industrial scale in a hurricane of domestic and globalisation issues.

So, in the case of Peavey's kit, the monitoring is of amplifier and audio system status - reports or announcements & flagging only if it's an emergency.

There are other systems in Beijing's airport for the face tracking / gait detection / hidden microphones / GCMS sniffers / SWAT ninja trap door / samsung techwin robocop sentry gun robot tank features which are not made by Peavey, and are thoroughly operationally and digitally firewalled from the announcement speakers.
bishopdante

Postby Malice on Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:28 pm

This Peavey, she is most caca frittata. Should rename "Peepee," it suck so bad.
Malice
useless piece of shit
useless piece of shit

Previous

Return to Crap / Not Crap