12%
Big Fun
2%
Water Babies
No votes

Total votes : 43

Re: Fusion-Era Miles Dome

Postby 154 on Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:24 am

Officially Bitches Brew but I've probably listened to the Fillmore East stuff the most.
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby Wood Goblin on Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:19 am

Funny timing to see this bumped, because I picked up Bitches Brew a couple weeks ago and have been listening to it nonstop since then. It's like a soundtrack to an imaginary 1970s vigilante cop movie. Someone is selling PCP to schoolkids. Sister Mary complains to the police, but they won't do anything, because Liberals! Only one man has what it takes to do the job . . .

I had cassette copies of Bitches Brew and In a Silent Way in high school but lost both long ago. At the time, I preferred In a Silent Way.

I don't know the other records well enough to vote, but this thread makes me eager to check them all out.
Wood Goblin
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby tmidgett on Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:00 pm

Hey, I want to rep for Circle in the Round, also.

I'm not a big fan of most 60s Miles, pre-Silent Way. I have the records, I've tried and tried, just doesn't do it for me.

But the track Circle in the Round is so great. First electric guitar on any Miles track!

tmidgett
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby DregsInTheCrowd on Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:49 pm

tmidgett wrote:Hey, I want to rep for Circle in the Round, also.

I'm not a big fan of most 60s Miles, pre-Silent Way. I have the records, I've tried and tried, just doesn't do it for me.

But the track Circle in the Round is so great. First electric guitar on any Miles track!

Yeah, it's a true gem. The rest of the record doesn't even measure up to it.

I'm about the same, though I guess I enjoy a couple of the later, semi-electric quintet records OK. Filles de Kilimanjaro and Miles In The Sky have their moments, but I'd probably even listen to Big Fun a hundredth time before I put one of them on. Sorcerer, Nefertiti, Miles Smiles, ESP, they all leave me cold. I intuitively know its "good music," but the freaked out moodiness he was trying to cultivate was just better suited to semi-electric soundscapes, and he didn't know it yet.
My name is Mike, and I play music in Stripper Deville.
DregsInTheCrowd
penguinologist
penguinologist

Postby 154 on Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:43 pm

Oh fuck yeah Circle in the Round is great. That central riff reminds me of a Can bass line (and of course, it's the other way around).

Postby Angus Jung on Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:10 pm

Get Up With It and Big Fun are tops. Need to get deeper into Dark Magus. I'm lukewarm on Bitches Brew and On the Corner is just maddening.

Check out the first two Tony Williams Lifetime records if you havent already.
Angus Jung
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby tmidgett on Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:46 pm

154 wrote:Oh fuck yeah Circle in the Round is great. That central riff reminds me of a Can bass line (and of course, it's the other way around).

First time I heard this tune, immediately checked the liner notes for recording date, for that exact reason.
tmidgett
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby jakethesnake on Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:49 am

I for one much prefer the 65-67 stuff to the electric stuff; in fact, it's my favourite jazz-*band* of all time. Out of these, I'd go with "Bitches Brew" because it's the one that best retains the 60's post/free-bop quality without venturing out too much into music school funk-fusion which I think started to happen once Chick Corea quit and the great Dave Holland was replaced with Michael Henderson who's "circular", funk-inspired bass-lines pushed Jack DeJohnette into a more "pocket"-type approach that was still a bit too flashy; if you are going to get funky, go James Brown with it and keep it locked in. Miles music kind of went off the rails for a few years only to regain its power in 74-75 with the Dark Magus and Aghartha stuff where it sounds more like hard, guitar-heavy, post-Hendrix funk with jazz-solos on top than fusion (tm).

My gfavorite stuff overall regarding electric Miles is the live small-band you hear on the "It's about that time, live at fillmore east"-record which still has Wayne Shorter in the band; I also like the Isle of Wight recording which still has Dave Holland and with Gary Bartz who manage to hit a sweetspot in between Maceo Parker and Coltrane (I could have done without Jarretts organ though).

Stuff like "Filles de killimanjaro" and the great shit on the "Bootleg series vol. 2" with the "lost quintet" is great as well but I tend to think of this stuff as belonging more to the 65-67 era even if he was playing tracks off "Bitches Brew" live already then. A lot of the music still had the more swinging and, at times, freer rhythms so it's a different thing to me-1970 is where even the live sound changed...
jakethesnake
hemingway
hemingway

Postby tarandfeathers on Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:19 am

Get Up With It. It's the meanest and bleakest and most depressed of the bunch, I think. I got my copy around the same time I got Zeit by Tangerine Dream and the two sort of make a really great binary system of longform misanthropic gloom.

In a Silent Way and On The Corner are probably my most listened to, however...
Don't shun it. Fun it.
tarandfeathers
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom

Postby tmidgett on Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:44 pm

DregsInTheCrowd wrote:I'm about the same, though I guess I enjoy a couple of the later, semi-electric quintet records OK. Filles de Kilimanjaro and Miles In The Sky have their moments, but I'd probably even listen to Big Fun a hundredth time before I put one of them on. Sorcerer, Nefertiti, Miles Smiles, ESP, they all leave me cold. I intuitively know its "good music," but the freaked out moodiness he was trying to cultivate was just better suited to semi-electric soundscapes, and he didn't know it yet.

It's chilly, right?

It's a little bit like when Coltrane was trying to open up with he was still with the quartet. Some of that music is both great and stretching (Meditations in particular), but he had to leave them behind to get where he wanted to go.

There's no way Miles could have done anything like what he did after In a Silent Way (certainly not anything post-Bitches Brew) without abandoning his (objectively incredibly skillful) mid-60s group.
tmidgett
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby Wood Goblin on Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:29 pm

While walking the dog, I was listening to Big Fun, which I hadn't heard before. The melody of this song sounded really familiar:

I groaned when, after an hour, I remembered why I knew it. (Plenty of people, it seems, have already made the connection.)
Wood Goblin
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby Redline on Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:15 pm

Dark Magus

Edit: Picks on the list given would be In A Silent Way or Live Evil.

The MFSL version of A Tribute To Jack Johnson is one of the better sounding lp's on the list if you want to get all Hi-Fi about it...
Last edited by Redline on Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
Redline
World's Greatest Lover
World's Greatest Lover

Postby Redline on Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:37 am

It took me a while to find this promo 45, but I'm glad I did. Should've been in the Top 100 charts in 1974, not Bennie And The Jets or Seasons In The Sun! It could've been a Hit!
It's also funny to imagine some Columbia suit saying "let's make a radio edit of this half-hour song and put it on a 45..."

Teo Macero is Miles' George Martin...
Last edited by Redline on Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Redline
World's Greatest Lover
World's Greatest Lover

Postby Wood Goblin on Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:46 am

So do you know which PRF-approved song uses the melody from “Great Expectations “?

(Maybe I’m the last person on earth to notice this.)
Wood Goblin
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby Redline on Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:54 am

My friend Rob told me. I had the lp Big Fun and didn't know it. It's only natural a guitar giant would be influenced by Miles Davis..
Redline
World's Greatest Lover
World's Greatest Lover

Previous

Return to Crap / Not Crap