Not Crap
88%

Total votes : 286

Re: Band: Silkworm

Postby tmidgett on Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:50 pm

andyman wrote:
tallchris wrote:
a leg plaster wrote:
tallchris wrote:The live recording of the Empty Bottle show from 9/9/00 is so great. Easily the best live recording of the Worm I've come across, with the added bonus of lots of audience participation.

Is this the "The bottles are never empty at the Empty Bottle" recording I had a downloaded copy of awhile ago? Starts with a great version of Garden City Blues?

Yes! They play a million songs for a billion hours!

The version of That's Entertainment from that show is absolutely crazy. I've been listening to it a lot lately. The whole band are on fire and the solo in particular (at 2:06) is fucking nuts.

I went to the bother of uploading it, for anyone who wants to hear:

Hope that's OK...

You can really hear how important Michael's drumming was, too.

I remember that show pretty well. It went on forever.

It always bugs me when there's some set time you have to stop. What if you don't want to stop?

Thanks for posting that. We sound good!
tmidgett
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby a leg plaster on Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:57 pm

If Andy has sleeper hits/underrated songs in the Silkworm catalog, That’s Entertainment would be near the top of the list for me. That version is damn great.
(exaggeration)
a leg plaster
Leader with Extraordinary Personality
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Postby Hosoi on Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:14 pm

Hello, "That's Entertainment" starts with a guitar solo.

There is no introductory act of casual Cohen on that one!
Hosoi
bernard purdie
bernard purdie

Postby andyman on Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:58 pm

Hosoi wrote:Hello, "That's Entertainment" starts with a guitar solo.

There is no introductory act of casual Cohen on that one!

Yeah, but 2:06 is kinda the "solo" solo.

You're right, though. The amount of extended guitar riffing making up the song, plus the tragic character in the story has me joking with myself that it's their Cortez the Killer.
offal wrote:I just want to be able to play bitchin' single-stroke rolls before I die
andyman
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby Hosoi on Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:32 pm

I'm having a good time listening to that recording.

Thanks, andyman!
Hosoi
bernard purdie
bernard purdie

Postby Ike on Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:11 am

https://skwm.bandcamp.com

New live set up from 1994. Just before recording Firewater, it seems. I think it's the first time as a 3-piece in Chicago? I'm sure some of you were there that evening--Flaming Lips played as well.

VERY good set. Andy is on fire. I saw them so many times (I think 15, but maybe more? Some of those years got a little blurry for me)--this was a particularly great night by the sound of it. Sometimes, like all human beings, they had nights where things maybe didn't land quite as well. That was always one of my favorite things about seeing the worm. This was a real band, breathing, responding, in the moment, Nothing auto-pilot about them, ever.
Ike
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity

Postby andyman on Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:56 am

Interesting: there are two up there, both mastered by Matthew Barnhart. Are Silkworm building a sort of official live archive?

Tim, should we all inundate you with whatever shitty MP3 bootlegs we start finding on our hard-drives?
offal wrote:I just want to be able to play bitchin' single-stroke rolls before I die
andyman

Postby jonsolomon on Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:44 am

andyman wrote:Interesting: there are two up there, both mastered by Matthew Barnhart. Are Silkworm building a sort of official live archive?

Tim, should we all inundate you with whatever shitty MP3 bootlegs we start finding on our hard-drives?

There is a third one too if you scroll down, plus another complete Lounge Ax show that comes as a download with In The West.

A FM was able to get a bunch of unheard live tapes digitized for me when I was working on the Libertine re-issue and these Bandcamp Fridays felt like the right time to share what wasn't used for that project.

Another 1994 set should follow in July.

I have a two boxes of others' tapes here I need to digitize beyond that...

Inundate!

Jon
jonsolomon
doyle brunson
doyle brunson

Postby eliya on Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:10 am

The Lounge Ax and Empty Bottle sets are both ridiculously good. I could be wrong, but I think the Empty Bottle set is the only (first?) bootleg that has Firewater songs. I bring that up because it's my favorite Silkworm record and I always wanted to hear what it sounded like live.
eliya
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby Clyde on Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:33 pm

I just tried to post something long but then I voted (NC!) before hitting submit and lost it. The gist was: Silkworm was a slow-burn band for me, my college girlfriend got me into them but then dumped me and I had to stop listening for a few years. But now despite many fond but bittersweet memories and I can listen to them without the baggage.
NewDarkAge wrote:Dialectics, mate. No easy answers.
Clyde
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby RSMurphy on Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:07 pm

Ike wrote:https://skwm.bandcamp.com

New live set up from 1994. Just before recording Firewater, it seems. I think it's the first time as a 3-piece in Chicago? I'm sure some of you were there that evening--Flaming Lips played as well.

Damn straight! I actually owe Tim part of the door because I used shenanigans, chicanery, tomfoolery, and other types of mischiefs to gain entry to this sold out performance.
WHALES CHICAGO USA THE MUSIC OF SOUND BANDACMP EP NOISEPOP

LTD. EDITION VINYL COPIES OF SIZE AND SCALE

Trey wrote:I think Randy is great.

Surfrider wrote:Come on Randy! You can do it!!
RSMurphy
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby tmidgett on Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:38 pm

RSMurphy wrote:
Ike wrote:https://skwm.bandcamp.com

Damn straight! I actually owe Tim part of the door because I used shenanigans, chicanery, tomfoolery, and other types of mischiefs to gain entry to this sold out performance.

Glad to hear it! All I remember about the Lips was that the bass player had two SVTs.

andyman wrote:Interesting: there are two up there, both mastered by Matthew Barnhart. Are Silkworm building a sort of official live archive?

Send 'em to jonsolomon. I basically never listen to any live tape unless a whole bunch of people tell me it's good and it's easy for me to click on it.

I'm glad Jon is doing this stuff, and I'm glad it's being enjoyed!
tmidgett
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby jonsolomon on Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:29 pm

Working on a thing. If someone happens to have better SQ audio of this Empty Bottle show than the 160 kbps .mp3s I possess, please let me know.

tallchris wrote:
a leg plaster wrote:
tallchris wrote:The live recording of the Empty Bottle show from 9/9/00 is so great. Easily the best live recording of the Worm I've come across, with the added bonus of lots of audience participation.

Is this the "The bottles are never empty at the Empty Bottle" recording I had a downloaded copy of awhile ago? Starts with a great version of Garden City Blues?

Yes! They play a million songs for a billion hours! Michael had a great entry about it on the SKWM tour journal:

We played for two hours tonight, two hours! What the fuck? At one point I came up front & asked the folks still around - and there were quite a few of them - if they were just humoring us, or if they were actually having fun. It seemed absurd. I mean, we played well, but shit! The fucking bar wasn't even serving booze when we quit! The bartenders had all gone home! The fucking pinball machine was unplugged! Old ladies were on their way to church when we finally poked our heads outside!
jonsolomon
doyle brunson
doyle brunson

Previous

Return to Crap / Not Crap