Burzum

Crap
41%
Not crap
59%

Total votes : 69

Viking: Burzum

Postby sunlore on Wed Mar 15, 2006 4:01 pm

Saw him mentioned earlier today. I was a fan when I was a lad, and I revisited "Filosofem". This record is still not crap. Fuck.

Guy you'd love to hate, etc.

Viking: Burzum.

PS. I kind of expect Kerble to shoot this threat into outer space.
sunlore
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby same on Wed Mar 15, 2006 4:06 pm

great stuff until he went all casio on our asses. not crap.
same
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby DrAwkward on Wed Mar 15, 2006 4:43 pm

Since this was posted under the "Viking" catagory, are we evaluating more than the music? Because i haven't heard any of his music, but that whole thing where he killed a dude was kinda lame, although it made for pretty compelling reading.
Stinky Pete wrote:BDSM is a bit like Queens of the Stone Age in that it's basically fine to be into, but a bit worrying if you're obsessed with it.

Body Futures
IfIHadAHiFi
Martian Dance Invasion!
DrAwkward
Master of Cunnilingus
Master of Cunnilingus

Postby flippantminister on Wed Mar 15, 2006 4:57 pm

totally not crap pre-daudi baldrs. the quality of the earlier music even makes up for the prime lameness of the later. filosofem is nearly perfect. i am speaking only for the music, of course. vårgsmål, his philosophy, murder, all that jazz, crap.
i breathe spears.
flippantminister
ward boss
ward boss

Postby sunlore on Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:24 am

DrAwkward wrote:Since this was posted under the "Viking" catagory, are we evaluating more than the music? Because i haven't heard any of his music, but that whole thing where he killed a dude was kinda lame, although it made for pretty compelling reading.

It is also rumoured that he made a nice stew after the Mayhem leadsinger guy blew his brains out.

A nice, brainy stew.

I just read up on him a little, it appears he will be released from prison sometime next month.

Göd bëwärë.
sunlore

Postby same on Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:28 am

sunlore wrote:I just read up on him a little, it appears he will be released from prison sometime next month.

Göd bëwärë.

didn't he escape from prison a couple years ago?
same

Postby sunlore on Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:30 am

same wrote:
sunlore wrote:I just read up on him a little, it appears he will be released from prison sometime next month.

Göd bëwärë.

In October 2003, Vikernes failed to return to his low-security prison in Tønsberg, Norway, after having been granted a short leave. Vikernes was apprehended by police after hijacking a car. He was found with an unloaded AG-3 assault rifle, 700 rounds of ammunition, a number of smaller weapons, a handheld GPS system, communications systems, a PC, military uniforms, a bullet proof vest, and camouflage clothes [3]. He received an additional sentence of 14 months for the incident – somewhat less than the 22 months wanted at the trial – and has been moved to a maximum-security prison in Trondheim. Varg stated in a recent interview that he should, under Norwegian law, be released in mid-2006 on probation, though he is not very optimistic.

Sërïöüslÿ...
sunlore

Postby Mazec on Thu Mar 16, 2006 3:50 pm

same wrote:great stuff until he went all casio on our asses. not crap.

I believe his leanings toward the Casio have largely been determined by security regulations in his new home.

I doubt the decision to bust out the Casio on our asses was made willingly.
Last edited by Mazec on Fri Mar 17, 2006 3:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mazec

Postby somniferum on Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:54 pm

Mazec wrote:
same wrote:great stuff until he went all casio on our asses. not crap.

I believe his leanings toward the Casio have largely been determined by security regulations in his new home.

I doubt the decision to bust out the Casio on our asses made willingly.

You are correct in your assumption. Varg actually has been allowed to have an acoustic guitar in his cell and is apparently writing new material. Should he be released on parole next month, there will be new Burzum material released in the future. Supposedly it will be in the vein of "Filosofem." Varg is an interesting person for certain. I may not agree with everything he has to say (all needs to be taken with a grain of salt) but I respect his intelligence. His writings always seem to at least be thought provoking. Varg's recent writings can be found on the official Burzum site: www.burzum.org Most are esoteric writings not of much relevance to anyone who is not pagan. Although the "Burzum Story" pieces may be interesting to fans of his music. There are also a few interviews and Varg's review of "Lords of Chaos" in which he states his position on those events.
somniferum
hemingway
hemingway

Postby instant_zen on Wed Apr 12, 2006 1:57 pm

i just picked up Hvis lyset tar oss today. musically, i think it's fantastic. the recording of the vocals leaves something to be desired (could they be mixed down? reverb'd? compressed? _something_ to make them sound less like a guy screaming into a four-track in his bedroom.) but on the whole i'm very impressed.

as for him, as a person/viking, he's... interesting. i won't say one way or another. i think he makes some fascinating points at times, but i also think he's fucking nuts. the mythical racism is what i find least appealing. still, i find him interesting, in the same way that someone would find John Wayne Gacy or Jeffery Dahmer to be "interesting"

not crap.
if i got lasik surgery on one eye, i could wear a monacle.
instant_zen
john wyndham
john wyndham

Postby Ty Webb on Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:52 pm

"All Church of Satan members, all members of the International Humanist and Ethical Union, all O.T.O. members, all Freemasons, all Christians, all Communists and so forth are all working for the Jews." - Burzum

Vicious, insane anti-Semite making crap music. But I guess that doesn't necessarily preclude him from being a good Viking.

Living 1300 years too late, however, does make him possibly the worst Viking ever.

CRAP
Clueless in Chicago wrote:I'm going to stop following this thread. A bunch of D&D geeks in a basement somewhere in Oklahomma with their nuts tied around their thighs...
Ty Webb
Master of Cunnilingus
Master of Cunnilingus

Postby Ernest on Thu May 03, 2007 11:49 pm

Ty Webb wrote:
Living 1300 years too late, however, does make him possibly the worst Viking ever.

CRAP

I think it makes him an unfortunate viking, don't you?

Burzum's one of the only black metal bands I listen to. Most of them are crap, and trying too hard, but Varg made some good music. Dunkelheit is worth getting if you want to hear Burzum. I don't agree with his views, but he's far from dumb. The man's done his homework on paganism, and christianity, and written, I think, three or four books about pagan history. Darkthrone's good too, if you're into black metal.
Marsupialized wrote:A bus will crash and there'd be three people stepping over injured children to get out saying 'fuck them' it's just how it is with people.
Ernest
Master of Cunnilingus
Master of Cunnilingus

Postby dipshit jigaboo on Fri May 04, 2007 12:44 am

Filosofem is the only black metal album I can listen to without giggling.

He also made it onto some VH1 countown of "most metal moments" for eating is friends brains, or whatever he claimed to do. I don't think you can get a more metal than that.

not crap. wf 10 for being a fucking murderer.
Smoke weed, it's fun.
dipshit jigaboo
francis harry compton crick
francis harry compton crick

Postby sunlore on Fri May 04, 2007 3:32 am

Ty Webb wrote:"All Church of Satan members, all members of the International Humanist and Ethical Union, all O.T.O. members, all Freemasons, all Christians, all Communists and so forth are all working for the Jews." - Burzum

I reckon one of the two jews still living in Norway told him exactly that.

instant_zen wrote:i just picked up Hvis lyset tar oss today. musically, i think it's fantastic.

I was recently honored by a visit from the Man when spinning this particular record real loud in the dead of night (hey, it was my frikkin' birthday, okay?).

After some deliberating ("yes, officer, no sir") the copper thoughtfully raised his eyesbrows and asked: "So what the fuck are you listening to anyway, guy?"
sunlore

Postby Mark Hansen on Fri May 04, 2007 8:48 am

same wrote:

Göd bëwärë.

I think you're thinking of the guy from Absurd. He was on the lam from Germany in the U.S. Apparently, he was being put up in the States by people from The National Alliance.
Mark Hansen
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby Mark Hansen on Fri May 04, 2007 8:51 am

sunlore wrote:
same wrote:

Göd bëwärë.

In October 2003, Vikernes failed to return to his low-security prison in Tønsberg, Norway, after having been granted a short leave. Vikernes was apprehended by police after hijacking a car. He was found with an unloaded AG-3 assault rifle, 700 rounds of ammunition, a number of smaller weapons, a handheld GPS system, communications systems, a PC, military uniforms, a bullet proof vest, and camouflage clothes [3]. He received an additional sentence of 14 months for the incident – somewhat less than the 22 months wanted at the trial – and has been moved to a maximum-security prison in Trondheim. Varg stated in a recent interview that he should, under Norwegian law, be released in mid-2006 on probation, though he is not very optimistic.

Sërïöüslÿ...

Oh shit, I wasn't aware of this.
Mark Hansen

Postby tmidgett on Fri May 04, 2007 8:58 am

As a guy, crap.

As a musical concern, not crap.
tmidgett
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby sunlore on Fri May 04, 2007 9:23 am

I think it is also interesting to point out the similarities between Burzum and Big Black, at least in terms of the approach of the electric guitar as sonic/textural device, which becomes apparent here.

I listen to this song, and I immediately think "Precious Thing."

Also, zom-zom's avatar is in that video.
sunlore

Postby Sebastian J. on Fri May 04, 2007 4:58 pm

hey this guy is a nazi!
Sebastian J.
Leader with Extraordinary Personality
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Postby tommydski on Fri May 04, 2007 5:03 pm

So was the Pope.

It doesn't make his technique during Mass any less impressive.
run joe run wrote:Kerble your enthusiasm
tommydski
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Next

Return to Crap / Not Crap