Total votes : 51

Band, The

Postby Angus Jung on Fri Jan 23, 2004 8:21 pm

Midgett-bait
Angus Jung
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby the Classical on Fri Jan 23, 2004 8:46 pm

complete and utter not crap-ery, I hate robbie robertson w/ a passion and I still love the band
the Classical
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love

Postby Seaside Lounge on Sat Jan 24, 2004 2:22 pm

The Band are NOT CRAP. Thank you.
Seaside Lounge
carter family
carter family

Postby yawn on Sat Jan 24, 2004 5:44 pm

the Classical wrote:complete and utter not crap-ery, I hate robbie robertson w/ a passion and I still love the band

Why do you hate Robbie Robertson?
yawn
julia roberts
julia roberts

Postby Angry_Dragon on Tue Jan 11, 2005 7:49 am

Those first 2 records are so damn near perfect that they make up for the steady decline they suffered with each subsequent release.
Better yet, eat the placenta!!!
Angry_Dragon
18th Amendment

Location: Baltimore, Where Murderous Football Players Own Resturaunts

Postby mattw on Tue Jan 11, 2005 10:05 am

A little overrated, but not crap

'The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down' is about as timeless as you can get- I could listen to that song about 2 million times and still not get sick of it

Richard Manuel (RIP)- great voice
mattw
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents

Re: Band, The

Postby tmidgett on Tue Jan 11, 2005 10:53 am

Angus Jung wrote:Midgett-bait

haha

gulp [zing of line thru water here]

some soulful, great music on every record, and the kind of playersy playing that rewards playersly consideration. i could listen to just the drums or just the bass or just the beard's keybs all day, even though the way they fit it all together was just as great.

the guitar playing was nothing special and, of course, the guitar player took all the credit and ran off with all the money. but wrote most of the songs, so he had that going for him.

brilliant at their best, depressing decline due to assholism and drug use on many fronts

not crap
tmidgett
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby mzajac5739 on Tue Jan 11, 2005 11:33 am

when i was sweatin hard makin clutches for tractors, getting frustrated being the only guy on the shift who would speak english even though the otherguys could but they didnt want to when i needed them to

The Weight was the only song that saved me every shift.

Salut, you , Band.
mzajac5739
vice president
vice president

Postby Niko on Wed Jan 12, 2005 5:10 am

I already did this, but I know searching for a band called The Band is pretty much useless. So it's ok! And it only got about three responses back then, so this is good.

Another NOT CRAP vote for The Band from me. When I first heard them it didn't move me at all, but then I really listened to all the stuff going on in their songs and I got it. Magnificent!
Niko
monsignior
monsignior

Postby night_tools on Wed Jan 12, 2005 7:27 am

NOT CRAP. Only heard The Band for the first time last year, but was an instant convert. Will soon be borrowing my brother's copy of 'The Last Waltz'.
andteater wrote:My ex wife never appreciated my music, but the men of the PRF do. This is important.
night_tools
Guardian Diety of the Planet
Guardian Diety of the Planet

Postby kerble on Thu Jan 13, 2005 1:27 am

on Fri Jan 23, 2004 at 8:21 pm Angus Jung wrote:Midgett-bait

and then on Tue Jan 11, 2005 at 10:53 am tmidgett wrote:
haha

These "Midgett baits" you are selling here Angus of Jung, they take a faghina long time to work!

A few of these the band guys played on that nice Mercury Rev record, didn't they? I liked the way they played years after their heyday. That's not crap. That's good musicianship.

nc

Faiz
kerble is right.
SA | SF | FZ | SI | RD | DA | K | CP | T
kerble
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby Bradley R. Weissenberger on Thu Jan 13, 2005 2:06 am

tmidgett wrote:zing of line thru water

I really hope that this phrase becomes a song title.

And I just listened to "Stage Fright". What a great song.
Bradley R. Weissenberger
King Of All The Taverns

Postby Angus Jung on Thu Jan 13, 2005 6:39 pm

I appreciate Tim Midgett saying the guitar playing was nothing special (I agree).

Robbie Robertson has done some hate-able things. The main one that springs to mind is his handling of the official Basement Tapes release. With dozens of incredible, brilliant, Bob Dylan songs from that period at his disposal, he chose to clog that record up with a bunch of his own band's crap ("Ain't No More Cane" notwithstanding, that rules). And to this day, you have to be a bootleg-scouring dork (http://www.punkhart.com/dylan/reviews/b ... tapes.html)to hear all the incredible Dylan songs Robertson chose to leave off that record due to his own canyon-sized ego.

There is a pervasive sense of phoniness that I always feel with the Band. It was there from the first album, with that picture of them looking like a bunch of 19th century pioneers or something. They were always straining, straining for the Authentic. I can hear this straining when I listen to them.

They did enough great songs to warrant a definite N/C, but I wouldn't call myself a fan.

N/C
Angus Jung
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby Mayfair on Thu Jan 13, 2005 6:59 pm

Oh, Rick Danko's bass. Yes. Levon Helm. Good stuff. I agree, the band at their tops is the tops. When not at their best it can be boring and even Dead-like. But at the best, they were fantastic like a whiter, countryish version of the MG's.

PS
I love in the Last Waltz where they are all talking about the long road they have traveled and that they are finally calling it quits at the end of this long life journey, etc and they are all like 30 years old! HA! I love it!
Mayfair
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture

Postby mattw on Thu Jan 13, 2005 7:05 pm

I feel the same way about The Basement Tapes. There are some great songs on there like 'Million Dollar Bash' 'Bessie Smith' 'Please Mrs. Henry' 'Yazoo Street Scandal' etc etc and they are all on the first side. The rest is pure Band filler- while it's not terrible, there's a distinct difference between Dylan's contributions and what The Band laid out. I think this might be a good example of their overrated-ness.
mattw

Postby endofanera on Thu Jan 13, 2005 7:36 pm

Angus Jung wrote:I appreciate Tim Midgett saying the guitar playing was nothing special (I agree).

Robbie Robertson has done some hate-able things. The main one that springs to mind is his handling of the official Basement Tapes release. With dozens of incredible, brilliant, Bob Dylan songs from that period at his disposal, he chose to clog that record up with a bunch of his own band's crap ("Ain't No More Cane" notwithstanding, that rules). And to this day, you have to be a bootleg-scouring dork (http://www.punkhart.com/dylan/reviews/b ... tapes.html)to hear all the incredible Dylan songs Robertson chose to leave off that record due to his own canyon-sized ego.

There is a pervasive sense of phoniness that I always feel with the Band. It was there from the first album, with that picture of them looking like a bunch of 19th century pioneers or something. They were always straining, straining for the Authentic. I can hear this straining when I listen to them.

They did enough great songs to warrant a definite N/C, but I wouldn't call myself a fan.

N/C

Thank you for summing up my feelings about the Band for me in a way that Ive been unable to do. And I go double on that Robbie Robertson hatred. Man, that guy repulses me. About the only 60s rock musician I dislike more is fucking Ray Manzarek. What a tool.

Not Crap, but really, really, just barely.
"You get a kink in your neck looking up at people or down at people. But when you look straight across, there's no kinks."
--Mike Watt
endofanera
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge

Postby Ike on Thu Jan 13, 2005 8:14 pm

As uncool or f'd up as this may seem (and as ridiculous as it will surely read to many) The Basement Tapes is in my top 3 of either Dylan or Band related releases.
Easily in my top 3, actually.

There are several songs that I don't care for, sure, but without fail I'm moved and entertained by each disc/album in that set every time I play it.

But I also really love Nashville Skyline, so there you have it.

The greatest bass and drums I've ever listened to in my short life.

That's the Band fer ya.

"King Harvest has Surely Come" is the tops for me.

Ike[/i]
Ike
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity

Postby tmidgett on Thu Jan 13, 2005 8:21 pm

i love _the basement tapes_ a lot, the whole thing

the 5cd box thing is super cool, but i mean just the regular album
tmidgett
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby Maurice on Thu Jan 13, 2005 8:52 pm

endofanera wrote:And I go double on that Robbie Robertson hatred. Man, that guy repulses me.

The Band: yup, utter not crap. Plenty of down moments, but the heights are so high that they clear the bar easily, no question. The first two albums got me through many a bad time, and the second album is really damn amazing.

Anyway, I have to pile on with the Robertson here: what the fuck with him playing the opening ceremonies for the 200mumble olympics in mumble, Utah? That was one of the most craptastic opening ceremonies in recent memory to be sure, and having him involved increased the craptacularity to meter-pegging levels. Also, pretty much every Band bio paints him as a world-class heel.
music every week | here, too | snwv

Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, I ask you: What the fuck?
Maurice
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby russ on Thu Jan 13, 2005 10:23 pm

I dunno if you guys have read Chronicles yet, but even Dylan takes a shot at Robertson!

Dylan is complaining about how terrible it was when he was living in Woodstock and the media had made him out to be some kind of savior, how he could never get a private moment, and all how these people were looking to him for all the answers. Then to show how bad it really was, he tells a story about how even those people closest to him were believing the hype. While he and Robertson are sharing a nice drive through the country, Robbie asks him, "So, where do you plan to take the scene?" Dylan is like, "What!? The scene?"

You get the feeling that Dylan wanted to punch him, stop the car, kick him out and leave him on the side of the road.

BTW, I'll just mention it here, but if you get the chance, and you're at all a fan of Dylan's, pick up the book. I'm really loving it. It's keeping me awake way too late at night.

russ
russ
suspicious flashlight
suspicious flashlight

Next

Return to Crap / Not Crap