home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Movie: Bohemian Rhapsody

Vote and debate.

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Movie: Bohemian Rhapsody

Postby noise&light on Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:24 pm

I enjoyed this quite a bit! It's pretty obvious that it's based on his life but it's hardly a documentary. The life of the band has been organized to work as a perfect movie narrative. And it's really fun to watch Rami Malek in this role! The vocals are tremendous and supposedly they used multiple combined tracks of mostly Freddie Mercury with Malek added.

There are fun touches; like the Fox opening theme song has been replaced with Brian May's guitar sound. And the guy that played him looked like the spitting image of him. Plus, there's a little bit of stunt-casting with Mike Myers as the EMI record executive. I think it's a nod to the importance of Bohemian Rhapsody in Wayne's World.

The climax of the film is their Live Aid performance. I should mention that I clearly remember the weekend I spent watching Live Aid with my best friend in high school. At the time I was way more excited about watching INXS and Elvis Costello and Black Sabbath and Sade and Howard Jones and Bowie. We'd been glued to the television that whole time. So, we decided to take a break during Queen to finally run and grab some food. We grew up with Queen, but their current album was The Works, which wasn't nearly as exciting as their previous work. But that performance was stunning. This portrayal in the movie seems very accurate to what I remember. It captured this moment where one band's performance just took things to the next level.

So, yeah. I had a blast watching this one!
There's no reason
To feel all the hard times
To lay down the hard lines
It's absolutely true
noise&light
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Re: Movie: Bohemian Rhapsody

Postby curry pervert on Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:15 pm

Haven't seen this yet but everyone I've spoken to that has said it's really good.
caix wrote:Whoever said they started missing Clocker Bob after reading your dribble, I didn't get it at first. Now I totally get it. I am really missing Bob right now.
curry pervert
dave "devilfish" ulliot
dave "devilfish" ulliot

Postby Andy on Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:21 pm

It's enjoyable and the performance scenes are great, but it's as by-the-numbers of a rock biopic as you can get.

* "Smile are great!" "Our singer just quit." "Hey, I can sing!"
* Van breaks down in the middle of nowhere!
* Fights about what songs to put on albums! BoRhap took many takes!
* Record execs don't believe in them, but boy Queen showed them, huh?
* "Stomp-stomp-clap? No one will do that!"
* Freddy the primadonna alienates everyone!
* Freddy wakes up in his trashed house after a party! Look, there's cocaine on a table!
* Freddy realizes the band is family, and he can't do it without them!

Chronological errors are irritating. "Fat Bottomed Girls" is the music for the "first US tour" montage. Showing 1980 on a title card and then showing recording of 1977's "We Will Rock You".

The May/Taylor rendition of the 20th Century Fox theme was nice.

Brian May was indeed dead-on, especially his voice.

> stunt-casting with Mike Myers as the EMI record executive. I think it's a nod to the importance of Bohemian Rhapsody in Wayne's World.

He even says "This isn't the sort of song boys are going to drive around singing in the car."

It's clear that May/Taylor approved every single thing about this movie.
Andy
Leader with Extraordinary Personality
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Postby the_joe_lemur on Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:55 pm

Andy wrote:Chronological errors are irritating. "Fat Bottomed Girls" is the music for the "first US tour" montage. Showing 1980 on a title card and then showing recording of 1977's "We Will Rock You".

I haven't seen it but I read that they also put Freddy's HIV diagnosis previous to Live Aid.
The FM formerly known as lemur68

sulfur)addict wrote:Jordan Peterson is the Limp Bizkit of educated thought.
the_joe_lemur
cardinal
cardinal

Postby total_douche on Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:51 am

I went to see it yesterday with my brother and my roommate (sort of a "band activity night" thing), and we all thought it was awesome. Fast & loose with chronology, sure, but it was thoroughly enjoyable from beginning to end. We left the theater in the mood to make some music, so we stayed up all night and helped my roommate come up with bass tracks for the songs we've been working on (I'm a novice drummer, he's a novice bass player, we needed some motivation). I woke up late today, with a massive headache, and ended up skipping class. Rock n' roll, eh.

So, yeah... thoroughly NOT CRAP.

EDIT: Oh, yeah, the BEA Tridents at Heathrow were a nice touch!
total_douche
freelance sperm donor
freelance sperm donor

Postby Frank Decent on Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:58 pm

It was pretty by the numbers, but that didn't really bother me because it was executed so well. Definitely work a ticket.
TomWanderer wrote:I saw a band a few weeks ago that was very interesting, I was really into the music. I went to their merch table and they had a cassette, a t-shirt, and a book of poetry. I bought nothing.
Frank Decent
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge

Postby curry pervert on Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:52 pm

Predictably, you now can't seem to escape the music of Queen. It's coming out of shops, cars, on the radio more.

I hate this vacuous culture zeitgeist bullshit.
caix wrote:Whoever said they started missing Clocker Bob after reading your dribble, I didn't get it at first. Now I totally get it. I am really missing Bob right now.
curry pervert
dave "devilfish" ulliot
dave "devilfish" ulliot

Postby total_douche on Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:54 pm

You'd rather be bombarded with Taygaga Beymars? I'm enjoying the break from the syncopated oonts diarrhea, but that's just me.
total_douche
freelance sperm donor
freelance sperm donor

Postby curry pervert on Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:06 am

I get what you're saying, and I can't stand 99% of what seems to be 'popular', but i have that earworm syndrome thingy (this is a genuine thing that is more than just average joe getting tune stuck in head for a bit, can't remember the name), so many tunes that I don't necessarily dislike can become repellant if overheard. Disliked tunes are a living nightmare if familiar.

Xmas is a particularly tortuous time of the year.
curry pervert
dave "devilfish" ulliot
dave "devilfish" ulliot

Postby total_douche on Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:28 am

That makes sense. I've always been able to just think of another song and listen to that, but my head isn't wired right.
total_douche
freelance sperm donor
freelance sperm donor

Postby the_joe_lemur on Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:09 pm

curry pervert wrote:Predictably, you now can't seem to escape the music of Queen. It's coming out of shops, cars, on the radio more.

i have that earworm syndrome thingy (this is a genuine thing that is more than just average joe getting tune stuck in head for a bit, can't remember the name), so many tunes that I don't necessarily dislike can become repellant if overheard. Disliked tunes are a living nightmare if familiar.

It also happened in the early '90s with Mercury's death and Wayne's World happening in quick succession.

There are far worse bands than Queen that this could happen with, and I'm actually kind of into it to an extent. But I'd be okay if I never heard "Bohemian Rhapsody" or saw a meme or parody of "Bohemian Rhapsody" ever again, and I'm really sick of a lot of their other radio staples, so I feel you.
The FM formerly known as lemur68

sulfur)addict wrote:Jordan Peterson is the Limp Bizkit of educated thought.
the_joe_lemur
cardinal
cardinal

Postby numberthirty on Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:39 pm

curry pervert wrote:Predictably, you now can't seem to escape the music of Queen. It's coming out of shops, cars, on the radio more.

While I'm sure it's not that way everywhere, American radio never really let go of Queen. I can't say that I have picked up on any sort of an upswing in Queen on the radio.
154 wrote:Are you in Voivod or something?
numberthirty
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby Major on Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:42 am

Definitely hearing a lot more Queen on bar jukeboxes. Never felt strongly about them one way or another, but I’m sick of hearing them. Of course people are playing “the hits”. Wouldn’t mind hearing “Death on Two Legs” every now and then.

The movie, yeah. Haven’t seen it, but I’m a sucker for these types of films, so I’ll eventually watch it on Netflix while nursing a hangover someday.
Major
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby Dave N. on Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:29 pm

1. I love Queen. Always have, always will.
2. The movie was a paint-by-numbers Rock biopic.
3. The guy who played Freddie Mercury was crazy good, and the guys who played Deacon and May were pretty outstanding, too.
4. They make no mention of Roger Taylor's solo albums.
5. The chronology was ridiculous.
6. I don't quite understand why they needed to re-create the entire Live Aid perfomance, when you can watch the real deal on youtube without the cheesy audience and stageside pans.

The movie was ok, but not $30-for-me-and-a-date ok. It's certainly netflix ok.
Dave N.
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love

Postby emmanuelle cunt on Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:29 am

I can con firm people are regularly listen queen over headphones in the open space I work in and I've heard conversations mentioning this film so yeah, Queen is on the rise. Guy two rows behind me said something like "as for Queen, the best thing was that bass line, de-de-de-det-de-de-de". Me: "yeah, 'Under pressure' and Vanilla Ice agrees with you". Too bad it wasn't on Facebook, I would have totally liked my own response.

Oh, haven't seen the film, but Queen is awesome.
caix wrote:^ more like "a manual vagina."
emmanuelle cunt
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Return to Crap / Not Crap