home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Most embarrassing moments in your rock music education

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Postby steve on Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:24 pm

Those pants look like bloomers.
steve albini
Electrical Audio
sa at electricalaudio dot com
Quicumque quattuor feles possidet insanus est.
steve
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby daniel robert chapman on Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:24 pm

When I was about six, my dad would play his Chris de Burgh album in the car - the one with 'Lady in Red' on it. It also features a song where Chris holds a very long, overblown note over some sort of guitar solo. The man had a hoarse voice at the best of times, and I would plead with my dad to fast forward past this song so that de Burgh wouldn't wear his voice out and be unable to sing the rest of the album for us.

When I told that story to someone not a million miles away from this forum, she told me I must have been an incredibly stupid child.

Around the same time, there were big arguments about which was my favourite Queen song on my mum's Greatest Hits tape. I insisted my favourite was 'the second one' so naturally the 'rents would play 'Another One Bites The Dust' for me - to my displeasure. There were some arguments and unpleasantness before it dawned that I meant the second half of 'Bohemian Rhapsody'.
Twenty-four hours a week, seven days a month
daniel robert chapman
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture

Postby DanH on Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:25 pm

When I was around 5th grade or so, I wanted to trade in my 1964 Fender Twin for a Randall half-stack. I also wanted to trade in my 1970 Strat for a BC Rich. That way I could sound just like CC DeVille. Im glad that my dad said No. A very firm NO!!!!
DanH
robert rauschenberg
robert rauschenberg

Postby steve on Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:27 pm

tommydski wrote:until last year i thought jd from le tigre was a guy.

it might not sound embarrassing but it really was at the time.

Only if you tried to blow him.
steve albini
Electrical Audio
sa at electricalaudio dot com
Quicumque quattuor feles possidet insanus est.
steve
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby tommydski on Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:28 pm

tried to blow her, steve.

you see now you're doing it....
run joe run wrote:Kerble your enthusiasm
tommydski
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby DanH on Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:31 pm

Tom wrote:Wait... you had a Fender Twin in 5th grade? What are you, some kind of liar or something?

No, when I was in 5th grade, it was like 1989. My dad, who also plays guitar bought it for me and him to use. I liked to call it mine back then. It wound up being mine after I started to play in bands. Now, Tom, is that something that is a little too feasable for you to understand? Im just wondering because I could dumb down my replies for you...

Oh yeah, my dad plays guitar also.
DanH
robert rauschenberg
robert rauschenberg

Postby tipcat on Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:32 pm

Brett Eugene Ralph wrote:Ordering a Black Flag shirt out of Creem magazine, only to discover that I'd purchased a shirt with the bug spray logo. It was to be my first show with Malignant Growth (August '82) and never having been to a punk rock show before, I feared I wouldn't look the part. So I borrowed spiked wrist bands and boots (a size too small) from a guy who'd "gone punk" long before I had and ordered the shirt you see below, which I wore anyway. What the fuck--maybe I was more punk rock than I realized.

This is just beautiful, with the photo and all! Thank you for sharing.

And I bet the audience didn't know or care.

Salut, Brett Eugene Ralph, inventor of rock irony!
tipcat
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby Brett Eugene Ralph on Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:33 pm

steve wrote:Those pants look like bloomers.

They sure do "bloom" when Mrs. Albini's around.
Brett Eugene Ralph
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Re: Most embarrassing moments in your rock music education

Postby DanH on Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:35 pm

dabrasha wrote:2 come to mind

-I didn’t know Robert Plant was in Led Zeppelin until I was 16

-I lost a $5 bet to my cousin Jim re whether Elivs was still alive or not. This was in 1982.

I also thought that Robert Plant's name was Led Zeppelin! Man.

Tom wrote:Thanks Vance... got it now.

Cool. I guess that I take some minor details for granted. Not everyones dad plays guitar and know what good amps and guits are. Many appy-polly-logies to you Tom.
DanH
robert rauschenberg
robert rauschenberg

Postby DrAwkward on Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:41 pm

I think the day i realized that much of KISS Alive! was overdubbed in a studio, a small part of me died. That's not saying much, though, because the human body sheds millions of dead cells daily.

Oh, and i found that out sometime last year.

P.S. I was also pretty disappointed when i realized that Side A of G'N'R Lies also was not really "live." That happened sometime in the early-to-mid 90s.
Stinky Pete wrote:BDSM is a bit like Queens of the Stone Age in that it's basically fine to be into, but a bit worrying if you're obsessed with it.

Body Futures
IfIHadAHiFi
Martian Dance Invasion!
DrAwkward
Master of Cunnilingus
Master of Cunnilingus

Postby Major on Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:49 pm

DrAwkward wrote:I was also pretty disappointed when i realized that Side A of G'N'R Lies also was not really "live." That happened sometime in the early-to-mid 90s.

Shut

the

fuck

up.

Crushed,

MEM
Major
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby Marlowe on Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:51 pm

When I was a youngster (maybe 6-7?) I used to think that radio stations were broadcasting live bands that came to the station and played. So, somehow, each band would set up for a single song and play... I didn't know anything about recordings yet.
Marlowe
pryor
pryor

Postby Brett Eugene Ralph on Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:57 pm

Tom wrote:I'm very sure I posted this somewhere else on this forum, but it's more appropriate here.

When I was 15, I had heard that the CCR's frontman was going to be doing a concert in town and a friend scored free tickets!
I went with a group of likeminded folks and were very disappointed. All he played was this weak piano\acoustic guitar lite rock.

I found out about a year or so later that Dan Fogelberg was never in CCR.

This reminds me of the Louisville Summer Jam in 1978. The neighborhood teens I'd caught a ride with--I was 12--were eager to see Rush, while I was there for Ted Nugent. Sometime during Frank Marino's set, they realized that "Mahogany" and "Rush" were not separate bands as they'd assumed from the poster they'd seen.

The bill, for the record, featured in descending order: Ted Nugent, Journey, Eddie Money, Frank Marino & Mahogany Rush, and Starcastle. The show was such a success that Louisville Summer Jam II was held a mere two months later (in chilly mid-September). That was when I got to see Thin Lizzy (on the Live and Dangerous tour), along with Foreigner, the Steve Miller Band, REO Speedwagon, and Roadmaster.
Brett Eugene Ralph
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby Wheely on Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:59 pm

When I was in high school, I used to tell my parents that I was spending the night with a friend, but in reality I would just stay out all night. Once, I think I was a junior, I went to a huge party under a railroad bridge and got wasted and stayed up all night. I have a very vivid memory of driving around on country roads the next morning, shortly after the sun had risen, still a little drunk. My girlfriend was sleeping in the back seat and a friend was sleeping in the passenger seat. Everything was very quiet except for Poison's "Every Rose Has It's Thorn" was playing on the stereo. (it was my girlfriend's cassette). I remember singing along in a low voice, thinking "this is a very important moment in my life".

It may have been.
Wheely
farmer
farmer

Postby Wheely on Wed Apr 19, 2006 2:02 pm

Marlowe wrote:When I was a youngster (maybe 6-7?) I used to think that radio stations were broadcasting live bands that came to the station and played. So, somehow, each band would set up for a single song and play... I didn't know anything about recordings yet.

I used to believe that about television commercials. When a commercial was repeated, I was always amazed that the actors were able to do it the exact same way.
Wheely
farmer
farmer

Postby Angus Jung on Wed Apr 19, 2006 2:03 pm

Marlowe wrote:When I was a youngster (maybe 6-7?) I used to think that radio stations were broadcasting live bands that came to the station and played.

I have a clear memory of being about that age and thinking the same thing.
Angus Jung
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby Major on Wed Apr 19, 2006 2:11 pm

Wheely wrote:When I was in high school, I used to tell my parents that I was spending the night with a friend, but in reality I would just stay out all night. Once, I think I was a junior, I went to a huge party under a railroad bridge and got wasted and stayed up all night. I have a very vivid memory of driving around on country roads the next morning, shortly after the sun had risen, still a little drunk. My girlfriend was sleeping in the back seat and a friend was sleeping in the passenger seat. Everything was very quiet except for Poison's "Every Rose Has It's Thorn" was playing on the stereo. (it was my girlfriend's cassette). I remember singing along in a low voice, thinking "this is a very important moment in my life".

It may have been.

Fucking awesome.

I needed a good cry/laugh/cry...
Major
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby John W. on Wed Apr 19, 2006 2:22 pm

Realizing, live in front of hundreds of people, that getting stoned before you go on stage doesn't necessarily improve your playing ability.
John W.
Guardian Diety of the Planet
Guardian Diety of the Planet

Postby RSMurphy on Wed Apr 19, 2006 2:38 pm

1. About five minutes into the Shellac show at Augenblick I turned to my buddy Bryan and said something to the effect that it's great to finally see Big Black.

2. A flyer in my college listed a show with "Melvins," and below that "Helmet" in big bold letters. I then proceeded to ask various friends if they were going to see Melvin's Helmet.
WHALES CHICAGO USA THE MUSIC OF SOUND BANDACMP EP NOISEPOP

LTD. EDITION VINYL COPIES OF SIZE AND SCALE

Trey wrote:I think Randy is great.

Surfrider wrote:Come on Randy! You can do it!!
RSMurphy
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby kerble on Wed Apr 19, 2006 4:26 pm

Brett Eugene Ralph wrote:
steve wrote:Those pants look like bloomers.

They sure do "bloom" when Mrs. Albini's around.

"Chlamydia" isn't a flower, Brett.
kerble is right.
SA | SF | FZ | SI | RD | DA | K | CP | T
kerble
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion