home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Gibsonette combo

Got a question about our studios? Ask us.

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Gibsonette combo

Postby bdm on Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:35 pm

Howdy friendly Electrical Audio representatives,

A few years back I was fortunate enough to spend a couple days recording there. I ended up really falling for the little Gibsonette combo you guys had. It took a few years but I finally found one that wasn’t astronomically overpriced. A 1959 model that looks nearly identical. All original aside form a handful or caps/resistors that had been changed along the way. From the get go I couldn’t quit get the little guy to sound quite the way I recall the studio’s amp did. Maybe my ears are messing with me. Maybe my memory is messing with me. Does anyone there happen to know if any modifications have been made to the circuit that would make it no longer “stock”? I understand that at some point holes had been drilled in the chassis for some sort of funny business.

Thanks!
Last edited by bdm on Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
bdm
boris spassky
boris spassky

Re: Gibsonette combo

Postby steve on Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:53 pm

Yeah, over the years there were some mods done, god knows what, and maybe 20 years ago I had an amp tech try to rewire it close to original. It has a couple of quirks, like it loses headroom and distorts earlier the longer it's been running, but it has a lot of personality so we've just let it be.
steve albini
Electrical Audio
sa at electricalaudio dot com
Quicumque quattuor feles possidet insanus est.
steve
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby bdm on Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:28 am

For whatever it’s worth mine doesn’t seem to have quite the same level of “grind”. It’s not quite as saturated sounding and perhaps is a little less “open” sounding as I seem to recall the studio’s example. But my memory could very well have created some unrealistic ideal out of the little guy.

I’d be *SUPER* curious to see how the current iteration of the two amps’ circuits compare. Unfortunately I’m essentially a numbskull when it comes to electronics so that wouldn’t exactly do me much good on a purely technical level.
bdm
boris spassky
boris spassky

Postby llllllllllllllllllllllll on Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:08 am

bdm wrote:For whatever it’s worth mine doesn’t seem to have quite the same level of “grind”. It’s not quite as saturated sounding and perhaps is a little less “open” sounding as I seem to recall the studio’s example. But my memory could very well have created some unrealistic ideal out of the little guy.

I’d be *SUPER* curious to see how the current iteration of the two amps’ circuits compare. Unfortunately I’m essentially a numbskull when it comes to electronics so that wouldn’t exactly do me much good on a purely technical level.

Yeah you really never know what you’re getting with old Gibsons. They made all sorts of weird decisions at the factory and of course that’s not even taking 65 years of use and service by whoever into account.
llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

Lesser Snake “Bali Gold”
llllllllllllllllllllllll
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Return to Studio Questions