home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Building Bass/Guitar Cabs For Studio Use

Got a question about our studios? Ask us.

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Building Bass/Guitar Cabs For Studio Use

Postby artifactaudio on Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:37 pm

Hey there!

I have some heads that I have bought second hand/people have left at my studio/ect. that get very little use, as I realized I have a shortage of speaker cabinets.

I decided I want to build two cabs: a 1x15 bass cab, and a 1x12 guitar cab. I figure considering they're going to be employed exclusively for studio use, I don't need to pay for the aesthetics of a cab, or having multiple speakers, and can just buy speakers to taste. So here are my questions:

Particular speakers to look for (I have this part pretty nailed down, but being drummer what do I know, so feel free to name any gems I should check out!)
Ported or Closed for the Bass Cab?
Woods to use for either cab?
Any helpful resources/general advice is very appreciated!!

Thanks for your time guys and gals!
artifactaudio

Re: Building Bass/Guitar Cabs For Studio Use

Postby Bill Flaig on Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:07 pm

Not sure on the guit cab, but I'd check in to a TL606 (EV design) with an EVM-15L speaker for a bass cab. Very popular around these parts, and the plans are easy to come by (hint here). Feel free to search here, you'll find a lot more info.
RSMurphy wrote:I don't believe in God, but I do believe in gospel music.

beards of luxury
Bill Flaig
man forced to eat beard
man forced to eat beard

Postby artifactaudio on Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:25 am

thanks a bunch!
artifactaudio

Postby bishopdante on Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:42 am

joeZ wrote:a 20 -30 ms delay in one channel of a stereo signal causes guitar to sound ••••, known as Haas effect.

•••• = like one guitar panned to one side

The haas effect is simply another term for "law of the first wavefront", which is that for sound localisation whatever reaches your ear first, your brain will locate it as having come from that direction.

This is because direct sounds always travel quickest, reflected sounds are slower.

The phase anomalies and comb filtering due to a 30ms delays, in my experience, don't make things "fatter". Just because two sounds arriving at similar times might psychoacoustically blend, it doesn't mean they will mix without causing problems.

Would recommend using just the one speaker in a fullrange cabinet intended to be used for recording.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." - Bertrand Russell
bishopdante
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Return to Studio Questions