home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Membrane Absorbers

Got a question about our studios? Ask us.

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Membrane Absorbers

Postby witchking on Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:43 am

Hello, new member here.

I was reading the membrane absorbers explanation page and the caption underneath figure 1 says "Sound energy strikes membrane, membrane flexes, dissipating energy as heat."

I was just wondering if after extended periods of recording (perhaps a bass amplifier), the membranes actually dissipate enough energy to feel or change the temperature of the room. I am going to guess that the answer is no, but I figured it would be worth asking.

Thanks!

Will
witchking

Re: Membrane Absorbers

Postby motorbike guy on Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:35 am

in your scenario, the membranes probably do not produce nearly as much heat as the bass amp, the voice coils in the cab, the lights, and the people in the room.

that's what AC is for.
Robert Ohlmstead wrote:Our warlike impulses and warlike pride are dangerously coupled with our insufferable vanity, our permanent immaturity, our lives of fear and pleasure.
motorbike guy
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby tmoneygetpaid on Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:19 pm

No, we're talking tiny, tiny amounts of heat spread out over a large area.
tmoneygetpaid
laney
laney

Postby bishopdante on Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:39 am

Try heating up a glass of water by shouting at it.

http://www.physicscentral.com/explore/poster-coffee.cfm

______

Membranes absorb bass, so the sound energy or turning rate is relatively low for even significant amplitude.

Try heating up a piece of plywood by bending it back and forth.

The way to think of its function, really, is not as heating per se, but the dissipation of sound energy via internal friction or "damping ratio".

______

Friction can cause heat, such as on car or bicycle brakes, but in acoustics terms it is not generally thought to have any measurable influence on temperature. It would not be possible to analyse the performance of an absorber with a thermometer or infrared camera.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." - Bertrand Russell
bishopdante

Postby beatsbooster on Fri May 11, 2018 8:56 pm

motorbike guy wrote:in your scenario, the membranes probably do not produce nearly as much heat as the bass amp, the voice coils in the cab, the lights, and the people in the room.

that's what AC is for.

Indeed, the bass player probably produce more heat than the resonator and the amp itself :smt004 :mrgreen: :mrgreen: the amount of heat produced by the resonator is minimal as we are talking about air particles friction with the absorbing material.
Have any of you guys tried the acoustic fields products? specifically the diaphragmatic absorber with carbon technology? I'm thinking of buying their kits.
Beatsbooster is designed to help you with the decision-making when buying your first best headphones under $100. I highlight the products which are the best value, as well as the top sellers.
beatsbooster

Return to Studio Questions