home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Stereo delay at Electrical

Got a question about our studios? Ask us.

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Stereo delay at Electrical

Postby sundistortion on Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:52 pm

Hey all,

Just wanted to know about the custom made stereo delay Eventide built for Electrical, I heard thru the grapevine that they had approached the facility and a plan was made to design a simple rack mounted stereo delay system which I presume was intended for basic pre delays of room microphones et al.

I emailed eventide to ask about this but they denied such a thing and suggested that the staff here are probably using this:

https://www.eventideaudio.com/products/ ... ay/ddl-500

..and confusing it with a custom built unit.

Anyways just wanting to get the facts straight, thank you

Best!
sundistortion
fan
fan

Re: Stereo delay at Electrical

Postby eliya on Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:55 pm

I don't work at Electrical but I have recorded there, and yes they have custom made Eventide delays. I think one in each studio. These delays have the Electrical E on them as well as the Eventide logo. I heard they were one-offs. They are certainly not the 500 series module you linked to!
eliya
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby tmoneygetpaid on Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:36 pm

Yup. My understanding is that Steve conversationally bemoaned that no one makes a simple no-feedback delay that can get down to the microsecond range. Eventide prototyped a couple of them, even silkscreening our logo on the faceplate. I think they toyed with the idea of selling/ marketing them.

In each of the few places these need to work well they deliver. They are digital delays, the AD/DA conversion is really good. The interface is easy to understand and use.

They're useful for phase-aligning different pickups on the same sound source (DI/ mic; multiple mics), and for delaying room mics, adding pre-delay to reverbs that don't have it, etc.

We do actually have a couple of those 500-series delays they sent us for our feedback, but we don't have a 500 series rack!
tmoneygetpaid
laney
laney

Postby bishopdante on Sat May 06, 2017 1:15 pm

There is a need for such things, and they are made commercially,

Eg: http://www.qbit.de/Additional-Products/ ... y::19.html

Microsecond accuracy is equivalent to about 1/3 of a millimeter for sound in air.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." - Bertrand Russell
bishopdante
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby cal on Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:47 pm

Did you guys look into hunting down a T.C. Electronic 1280 delay?

http://www.tcelectronic.com/tc-1280-tc-1380/
cal
laney
laney

Postby Pigeon on Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:43 pm

Steve showed us that same unit when I was there last year. I emailed eventide about it and they said they had no plan to put it into production.

I use the TC Electronics M-One XL and that's worked fine for me, saved a preset, it doesn't go into the microseconds range, but for delaying room mics and those types of applications it works well.

Eddie
"I raged against the machine and all this money came out of it!" -Bart Simpson
Pigeon
junkballer
junkballer

Postby Fenris on Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:07 pm

Eventide profanity delays have a Precision Fixed Delay mode with 100uS steps. Electrical's unit is probably a stripped-down BD500.
Fenris
seminarian
seminarian

Return to Studio Questions