home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

How full should a trash can be before you take it out?

Waste management tips, fly-on-the-wall tatics, etc.

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

1/6th?

Postby russ on Wed May 14, 2003 2:42 pm

Although I don't really want to be lured into this, 1/6th full doesn't seem like very much. :shock:
A technique that works quite well for the bathroom trash cans (which are usually just full of used tri-fold towels) is to stomp them down with your foot thereby condensing the trash and allowing more time between changes.

Good luck with the rest of your interning. :roll:
russ
suspicious flashlight
suspicious flashlight

Postby greg on Wed May 14, 2003 7:20 pm

:(
greg

consolidation my friends

Postby nick92675 on Tue Jun 03, 2003 3:31 pm

i find it's best to keep moving. creating the illusion of work is the first step in the all important facade of "learning" and "working" while being an intern. it's helpful if you define some sort of master trash appreciation area that you can consolidate to. find a big garage sized can that contains your big hefty bags, then whenever you walk by and see something in a smaller trash can, pick it up and transfer to your master trash can. in fact, a more effective approach while interning is to physicaly take potential future items of trash from clients while still in use to show your employer that you're "on the ball" and "a real go-getter". before you know it, you'll have greg and russ out on thier asses in the street and you'll be living the high life.
nick92675
man forced to eat beard
man forced to eat beard

Postby russ on Tue Jun 03, 2003 3:48 pm

genius. :?
Last edited by russ on Wed Jun 04, 2003 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
russ
suspicious flashlight
suspicious flashlight

Postby greg on Wed Jun 04, 2003 3:52 am

Hey, as a recovering intern and current employee of a recording studio it is my job to remind interns of how much harder it was for me when I was in there shoes. When I interned here, trash cans were twice the size, the vacuum was twice as broken. No matter.
Empty my garbage.

p.s. you can see "trails" and other crazy things when you clean-up with simple green.
greg
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby MTAR on Wed Jun 04, 2003 10:18 am

1/6 full is for pansies. Way back in my interning days.... I would take the trash out every seven minutes. No matter if it was full or empty. Seven minutes is exactly enough time to throw out every bag from B, through the kitchen, down through A. By the time you're back up in B again, you have time to catch a smoke, and start your cycle over again. You can definately learn a lot as an intern by utilizing and mastering this method of trash removal.

mike
MTAR
Supreme Commander at the Forefront
Supreme Commander at the Forefront

Postby Tom on Tue Jun 10, 2003 8:37 pm

You ought to empty the trash just enough so no one notices its full.
Which is 1/6th.
After that, its all down hill.
Tom
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Re: How full should a trash can be before you take it out?

Postby wowow on Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:28 am

Intern_8033 wrote:Personally, I usually take out trash when it is about 1/6 full. There is a delicate balance between the cost of trashbags and the aesthetic pleasure of an empty trashcan that has vexed me since day one of my internship experience. How do you interns handle this?

We are a little disappointed there was no mention of your Winning Business Strategy in the Forbes article... http://www.forbes.com/forbes/2010/0830/entrepreneurs-groupon-facebook-twitter-next-web-phenom.html

Your secret is out!
wowow
gallagher
gallagher

Re: How full should a trash can be before you take it out?

Postby tomato1342 on Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:45 pm

whats important is that someone has addressed this issue.
tomato1342
jock
jock

Return to Intern's Corner