home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Electrical Audio Urban Beautification Project

Waste management tips, fly-on-the-wall tatics, etc.

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Electrical Audio Urban Beautification Project

Postby Intern_8033 on Sun May 08, 2005 6:59 pm

A few weeks ago, someone asked for a photo of Electrical's front facade.

As you can see, we're surrounded by development, and have been for some time. I hear they are even building a Starbuck down the way!

Electrical Audio, always striving to be synonymous with the cutting edge of cultural and technological innovation, is not about to be left in the dust.
Phase I of the EA Urban beautification project is the garden Chad planted this week. I'll let Chad post the details, all I remember is that sunflowers and watermelons are involved somehow.

I'll try to post pictures every weekend.
Intern_8033
tj cloutier
tj cloutier

Re: Electrical Audio Urban Beautification Project

Postby Mayfair on Sun May 08, 2005 7:26 pm

Intern_8033 wrote:

Every weekend?! But what is something happens during the week?! HOW WILL WE KNOW?!!
Mayfair
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture

Postby Andrew Weatherhead on Sun May 08, 2005 8:17 pm

Haha! This is awesome, good work.
Andrew Weatherhead
rocky mountain oysters
rocky mountain oysters

Re: Electrical Audio Urban Beautification Project

Postby Intern_8033 on Sun May 08, 2005 8:31 pm

Mayfair wrote:
Intern_8033 wrote:

Every weekend?! But what is something happens during the week?! HOW WILL WE KNOW?!!

I'll talk to the Russ about getting a web cam set up.
Intern_8033
tj cloutier
tj cloutier

Postby rob v. on Sun May 08, 2005 8:51 pm

hey godamnit! you never asked my permission to use me in this photograph! i want royalties! you think you can just use me like that?

i thought we were friends andrew. now you pull something like this which makes me bring into question our entire friendship. your "friend", rob
rob
rob v.
judge
judge

Postby Angry_Dragon on Mon May 09, 2005 12:01 am

How did Steve fit an entire studio in what looks like a late 90s Saturn sedan?
Better yet, eat the placenta!!!
Angry_Dragon
18th Amendment

Location: Baltimore, Where Murderous Football Players Own Resturaunts

Postby chad on Tue May 10, 2005 2:36 pm

Welcome!

Phase one of the Electrical Audio Urban Beautification Project began last year with the removal of several hundred pounds of broken concrete from the plot of land now being used as our garden. Once that was done, we decided "Enough!" and covered it all up with pretty bark chips.

Last week, Phase Two began as I raked back the wood chips and pulled out a couple hundred more pounds of concrete that I must have decided to ignore last fall and worked in 250 pounds of garden soil with a rake and shovel. Now for the planting!

This took ten minutes, and I took my time. What you can see in the photo is a "Health Kick" tomato plant, a "Better Boy" tomato plant, "Garden Salsa" and habenero pepper plants and Italian parsley. I scattered parsley seeds around the parsley plant in a little circle. Next in line I planted some basil, followed with some catnip and carrots. The basil and catnip are divided by a line of zinnias, because Pip hates having her catnip stepped on. I also bought one of those shaker cans full of various wildflower seeds and spread it around the entire perimeter of the garden. Today, everything got its first dose of Miracle Gro. Good luck, little seeds!

Does anyone have any idea how long it takes for these things to sprout? I'm getting impatient already and I don't like it.

Happy Gardening!
Chad
chad
curler
curler

Postby Rog on Tue May 10, 2005 3:52 pm

chad wrote:Welcome!

Phase one of the Electrical Audio Urban Beautification Project began last year with the removal of several hundred pounds of broken concrete from the plot of land now being used as our garden. Once that was done, we decided "Enough!" and covered it all up with pretty bark chips.

Last week, Phase Two began as I raked back the wood chips and pulled out a couple hundred more pounds of concrete that I must have decided to ignore last fall and worked in 250 pounds of garden soil with a rake and shovel. Now for the planting!

This took ten minutes, and I took my time. What you can see in the photo is a "Health Kick" tomato plant, a "Better Boy" tomato plant, "Garden Salsa" and habenero pepper plants and Italian parsley. I scattered parsley seeds around the parsley plant in a little circle. Next in line I planted some basil, followed with some catnip and carrots. The basil and catnip are divided by a line of zinnias, because Pip hates having her catnip stepped on. I also bought one of those shaker cans full of various wildflower seeds and spread it around the entire perimeter of the garden. Today, everything got its first dose of Miracle Gro. Good luck, little seeds!

Does anyone have any idea how long it takes for these things to sprout? I'm getting impatient already and I don't like it.

Happy Gardening!
Chad

Depending on the amount of sun and water, about 3 weeks, give or
take. The carrots should have been planted earlier. They take 2 months
to ripen, and hot weather can make them taste bad.
You're not supposed to use Miracle gro until the plants have sprouted
and are a healthy green. But, fuck it, you want them up out of the ground!!
Roger Ewalt
Arch-Druid
Wisconsin Lunker League
Rog
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby justinc on Tue May 10, 2005 4:23 pm

if the soil stays moist and warm you could have sprouts in as little as two days. get cages for yr tomato plants too:D
justin collins
satisfactory recording co, denton tx
satisfactory at burntsienna dot com
justinc
gallagher
gallagher

Postby chad on Tue May 10, 2005 4:46 pm

Thank you fellow gardening enthusiasts.

The carrots have been planted nearest the alley since we really had no hope for them to begin with. If they do grow, they stand a good chance of tasting like bum piss.

I also forgot to mention earlier that the watermelons and sunflowers were excluded from the planting due to concerns of overcrowding and ridiculousness by the property owner.

Andrew and I will have to discuss putting our tomatos in cages. He seems rather adamant about growing free range vegetables on our first try out. I am in favor of giving the tomato plants a jungle gym to play on. An active life is a happy life, and I intend to keep my tomato plants happy, but if Andrew wants to send them to Varmint Hell I may just let him so that he learns a lesson.

Andrew?

Keep posting those tips!
Chad
chad
curler
curler

Postby Intern_8033 on Tue May 10, 2005 5:01 pm

No watermelons or sunflowers? I've lost interest. This project has already passed the threshold of ridiculousness where relative degree of ridiculousness is irrelevant. Infinity plus one million is still infinity.

When is the best time to plant pumpkins?

I think we need to put up a cage to protect the garden from deer. There aren't deer now, but there weren't people flying planes into the World Trade Center on September 10 2001 and look how that turned out.

I would also like to partition off a quarter of the garden for raising chickens (for their eggs, not to eat). Is that too small an area to grow chickens (seriously)? And where can you buy live chickens and do you need a permit or anything?
Intern_8033
tj cloutier
tj cloutier

Postby mattw on Tue May 10, 2005 5:57 pm

What is that?

I was expecting a huge E outside the door and a perfectly placed ear with soundwaves coming out of it.
mattw
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents

Postby Mayfair on Tue May 10, 2005 6:05 pm

Intern_8033 wrote: And where can you buy live chickens and do you need a permit or anything?

I know nothing about permits (Permits? We don't need no stinkin' permits!) but I do know there are a few places on the west side you can buy live chickens. I think it's the 5900 block of North Ave, Chicago Ave, and/or Diversey. It is just this side of Oak Park, maybe by a block or two. I am not sure if they are laying chickens or eating chickens, if there is even a difference.

I really hope you guys raise chickens.
Mayfair

Postby Nico Adie on Wed May 11, 2005 7:25 am

I am not sure if they are laying chickens or eating chickens, if there is even a difference.

There are certain breeds which are recommended for eggs, and certain breeds for meat. There are also "dual purpose" chickens which are adequate for both applications.

This is a good site for further info:

http://www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenderson/ ... hooks.html

Enjoy!
Nico Adie
Leader with Extraordinary Personality
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Postby Rog on Wed May 11, 2005 5:01 pm

It's been almost two days. Any sprouts, Sprouts?
Roger Ewalt
Arch-Druid
Wisconsin Lunker League
Rog

Postby 154 on Wed May 11, 2005 5:21 pm

nice to see my galant made your photo gallery, if only to note that i was careful not to park in the garden!

-brian
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby Bradley R. Weissenberger on Wed May 11, 2005 6:10 pm

Intern_8033 wrote:I think we need to put up a cage to protect the garden from deer.

You definitely should put up a cage to protect the garden from the ever-present Belmont Avenue deer herds. You should also consider posting an armed guard near the garden to ward off Al Capone and The Riddler.

In all seriousness, the catnip is a good approach, but you should also consider planting lavender or green onions in your garden to keep away rabbits. I've also heard that throwing a bar of soap or some eggs into the garden works.

Or you could starve a coyote and chain it to the concrete near the garden. That would work as well.

There are also various toxins that one can apply to plants to ward off deer, rabbits and other animals. I mean, I wouldn't do it, but then again, I wouldn't make a September 11 joke either.

Gardening and flowers and shit rule.
Bradley R. Weissenberger
King Of All The Taverns

Postby kerble on Wed May 11, 2005 8:52 pm

Bradley R. Weissenberger wrote:
In all seriousness, the catnip is a good approach, but you should also consider planting lavender or green onions in your garden to keep away rabbits. I've also heard that throwing a bar of soap or some eggs into the garden works.

try dusting the dirt with red chili powder. It keeps the bunnies away without having to use chemicals.

my roommate, Simon and I planted an organic garden two leases ago. It takes a little prep to set up, but the results are spectacular.

imagine thin layers (like lasagna) from top to bottom:

topsoil (for luck)
compost
manure
peat moss
compost
mushroom compost
peat moss
manure

then covered with a plastic tarp for two weeks. The covered layers undergo a chemical process that leaves you with amazingly rich soil. Once the soil has "cooked" under the plastic tarp, you plant. oh fuck, the tastiness.

we grew:
tomatoes
head lettuce
romaine lettuce
corn
basil
dill
spinach
green peppers
broccoli
cauliflower
green chilis
pumpkins
cilantro
flowers

and some other crap.

best meals ever.

look up: Lasagna Layering and Gardens for more info.

Faiz
kerble is right.
SA | SF | FZ | SI | RD | DA | K | CP | T
kerble
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby Intern_8033 on Thu May 12, 2005 12:55 am

Bradley R. Weissenberger wrote:I mean, I wouldn't do it, but then again, I wouldn't make a September 11 joke either.

Brad,
It wasn't a Septemer 11 joke, it was a joke about the practice of invoking September 11th to justify something totally unrelated. I think it's fair to further generalize it as a joke about the practice of inducing an emotional response to invoke sympathy for a cause that is not in the sympathizer's best interest.

Here is an example that is not a joke, but you might think it was if it weren't for the "Sen" or the "(R)". And maybe the "Wayne."
Sen. Wayne Allard (R) of Colorado wrote:In light of recent terrorist attacks, it is readily apparent that we face a new age of global unrest, a world in which terror has replaced formal declarations of war as the major threat against freedom and democracy. A necessary component of providing justice to those who would do harm to our nation is to maintain an efficient court system - a court equipped with the personnel and resources that enable it to fulfill its role as a pillar of our constitutional system of governance.

The current filibusters of President Bush's Circuit Court nominees clearly demonstrates an active effort by a minority of Senators to block the confirmation of well-qualified judicial nominees. I firmly believe that these tactics have damaged the judicial nomination process to an unacceptable degree, and now it must be corrected. It is shameful that the action of a handful of Senators has created a vacancy crisis that threatens the service of the very justice upon which our great nation depends.
Intern_8033
tj cloutier
tj cloutier

Postby chad on Thu May 12, 2005 10:03 am

[quote="kerble"][quote="Bradley R. Weissenberger"]

try dusting the dirt with red chili powder. It keeps the bunnies away without having to use chemicals.

Yes! I will try this! Hope it works on squirrels, too.
chad
curler
curler

Next

Return to Intern's Corner