home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Worst live band you've ever seen

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Worst live band you've ever seen

Postby ch029448 on Wed Jan 21, 2004 4:57 pm

For me, it's a three way tie.

A horrible surf/hotrod/lo-fi band from San Diego called Deadbolt. They had a really cool set up: while plugging in their guitars, amps, setting up their drums, they'd occasionally grind on a mic stand or something with a power circular saw, shooting sparks out into the audience. But once they struck their firs chord of the set, all the excitement went out the window.

A band from Dallas, who I saw in Deep Ellum, called Trailer Park. The only thing at all entertaining about them was the the singer had a Jacksons Victory Tour shirt on.

John Cale opened for Siouxsie's band The Creatures. One word - UNLISTENABLE! And I'm a Velvet Underground fan!
"I Want To Thank The Good Lord For Making Me A Yankee" -- Joe DiMaggio
ch029448
junkballer
junkballer

Postby geiginni on Wed Jan 21, 2004 5:14 pm

A Rush tribute band from the Milwaukee area; I think their name was "Group Therapy".

The drummer had a (what seemed) piece for piece recreation of an early 80's Neil Pert setup complete with tubular bells and the electric pad set side and the acoustic set side.

Everyone in the group had too much equipment, including a huge 42 channel (if I remember, Peavey) board that they'd use even when practicing in the basement.

They'd haul all this shit to their shows....and they couldn't even play. The drummer could not keep a tempo and all Pert's change ups were completely fucked. The bassist was closer to Estelle Getty in skill than Geddy Lee. Everyone in the group seemed to hate each other....Oh, yeah, and the only non-Rush song they played was Golden Earring's "Radar Love" - in a slightly less fucked up manner than the Rush tunes.

They were so bad, as to almost justify seeing more than once.

Other than that.... dozens of unskilled shitty punk groups who's names I forgot upon leaving the venue.
geiginni
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge

Postby ch029448 on Wed Jan 21, 2004 5:18 pm

HAAA HAAA....Classic! A Rush tribute band.

The only thing I could imagine being more horrible than sitting through a Rush tribute band's "concert" would be sitting through a Rush concert!!!!
ch029448
junkballer
junkballer

hole

Postby defenestrator on Wed Jan 21, 2004 5:21 pm

As much as I am ashamed that I went to lollapalooza once, I really wanted to see the jesus lizard and sonic youth. Hole was in between. Worst crap of all time. Pathetic bullshit. I can't even go into detail about what was wrong, because nothing, and I mean nothing, was right.
defenestrator
comrade
comrade

Postby ch029448 on Wed Jan 21, 2004 5:24 pm

I went to whatever Lollapalooza it was that had Green Day and The Beastie Boys.

I went for one reason only - SHONEN KNIFE!

I was thrown out for stealing a very gay looking Shonen Knife t-shirt with a big yellow "kitty cat" on it, from the merch table. But at least it was AFTER their set.
ch029448
junkballer
junkballer

Postby capnreverb on Wed Jan 21, 2004 5:27 pm

Everybody has seen a terrible band or wedding band. I think it should be limited to "famous" bands.

I am Palace fan, but the first time I saw them at the Lounge Axe they were god awfull band. Will kept looking at the other guitar players hands to see what chord he was on or to see the next change. The rhythm section was totally lost. He really butchered the songs.

I saw him again at some small bar (I think it was the Rainbow?) and it was quite good.

When I saw Rush for the Grace Under Pressure Tour it was terrible. They refused to play their old tunes (pre signals Rush is the only Rush worth listening too). Save your "Rush sucks comments", I know, I know, I know they suck. We all have guilty pleasures. I was so mad. Gary Moore opened and even he was better than the headliner.

One of the greatest shows I ever saw later became one of the worst.
I saw Yngvie Malmsteen on his first tour. After the second song the horrible metal singer said "good bye" and for the next hour or so it was the most glorious guitar masturbating/ never ending solos that you have ever witnessed. Sure, it was real cheesy, but he was motherfuckin' wankin some
awe inspiring "guitar player of the year award" crap. At my age at the time (around 16) it blew my mind. - - - - - - - Then I saw him a year later open for AC/DC and the singer sang on every song and it was painfull. Wretched
tunes with a horrible singer. Painfull!!!!!!!

I saw the Japanese metal band Loudness open for, I think it was Iron Maiden but may have been AC/DC and they were real bad.

I saw Accept at the same time and Udo aint much of a front man. Funny though.

You can tell I saw a lot of bad bands in the 80's.
capnreverb
bum runner
bum runner

Postby jupiter on Wed Jan 21, 2004 6:11 pm

I stood through a pretty large chunk of Interpol when they played Belmont & Sheffield last summer. They were pretty terrible. Not quite the worst, though.

When I was in high school I went to see what was advertised as a Jethro Tull concert. What I got was Ian Anderson with an all-but-crippled voice, a 17 year old lead guitarist, an 18 year old drummer, and what would end up ranking #1 on my list ghastly musical listening experiences.

Queens of The Stone Age was god-awful last summer. Not their front-man's fault, but their bass player sang like he had never heard music before in his life, literally. He looked like he was really coked-up. The drummer did a lackluster job of filling Grohl's loafers, but there aren't even many decent drummers that can do that. (no time to google for names)

Rolling Stones at Soldier field...but that wasn't entirely their fault. I mean can you really expect good sound from Soldier Field?? I remember Keith was the king of klangers that evening.

Rush, whom I saw when I was still in the infantile stages of drum training, had a similar problem as far as the sound in The United Center goes. Unfortunately for them, they also lacked more crucial elements. For example: GOOD SONGS!!!!! (NP's drum solo softened the blow of Geddy Lee's horrible.....horribleness).

I was never disappointed by the performance in the 3 Who shows I got to see, but they played Quadrophenia in the first two!! C'mon, once with fair warning was bad enough, but they didn't even advertise the second as a Quadrophenina performance.
(The last Who show I saw, at World Music Theater, was the best fucking concert of my life. Front row, watchin 'em play all non-crap. RIP Johnny)

I saw the last Grateful Dead concert at Soldier Field when I was a sophmore in HS. I was too high to remember how bad that must've been.
be good or be good at it....
jupiter
cats
cats

Postby ch029448 on Wed Jan 21, 2004 6:15 pm

OK, so they don't have to be hugely famous, but they have at least not be your buddy's band's garage rehearsal, or a wedding band. They have to have been playing a real gig, at a bar, club, arena, where some people (maybe not necessarily you) paid to come see them.
ch029448
junkballer
junkballer

Postby capnreverb on Wed Jan 21, 2004 6:20 pm

I saw the dead in 87/88 at the Rosemont Horizen and it was real bad. Talk about boring. It was fun to watch the whacked out drug freak show that wandered the aisles and halls. Fot that alone it was worth the ticket. Can't beat a good freak show!!!!
capnreverb
bum runner
bum runner

Postby ch029448 on Wed Jan 21, 2004 6:23 pm

I saw Blink 182, when they were just Blink, before they were forced to change their name.

I was working at a club in Corona, Ca where they were playing. It was an atrocious show!
ch029448
junkballer
junkballer

Postby geiginni on Wed Jan 21, 2004 6:58 pm

Holy shit, there's a band I can't stand. I may have been tempted to run up on stage with a barstool and just start whaling like a pro-wrestler....ungodly CRAP.
geiginni

Postby Jeremy B on Wed Jan 21, 2004 7:32 pm

it's a tie

i went to see the Promise Ring once. I had never heard them and a few friends of mine recommended them. big fucking mistake. they were awful. their singer was such a fuck to the audience, and even though some dude kept yelling "alligator gun" throughout the set, it was no reason to insult the entire audience. they sucked so bad that me and my buddy got real drunk on jagr and I ended up pissing down my stairwell. in hindsight, having heard their music on CD I realized just how bad it really was.
and
i went to see this band Love 666 open for Chokebore when I was 17. i loved Chokebore and couldn't wait to see them but Love 666, goddamn, they were awful, absolutely awful. so high end and so drunk. it was shitay.
oh yeah...
i had to sit through a Ryan Adams show so I could interview him for the my college paper. he was so drunk and so coked up it was unreal. i got maybe one question in before he asked me to find him coke. it was ridiculous.

goddamn,
Jeremy B
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Postby Bradley R. Weissenberger on Thu Jan 22, 2004 12:06 am

The Polyphonic Spree
Last edited by Bradley R. Weissenberger on Thu Jan 22, 2004 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bradley R. Weissenberger
King Of All The Taverns

Postby Bradley R. Weissenberger on Thu Jan 22, 2004 12:14 am

The Polyphonic Spree -- Imagine 25 or so of the most obnoxiously self-obsessed indie dorks dressed up in choir robes on a stage. Had enough? Well, imagine these jokers playing unmelodic, shapeless 15 minute "songs" built around the repetition of a single non-hook. Then imagine these 25 dildoes acting incredibly earnest in that bullshit Age-of-Aquarius sort of way, but simultaneously believing themselves to be very funny and clever, which they were not. Moreover, their lead singer guy man gave me the creepy sense that he felt superior to his audience, like he was pulling one over on everyone. Ah, no.

I had never heckled a band before, but I heckled The Polyphonic Spree that night. I hated them and what they did to music for me that night. I will do my best to dissuade anyone from ever putting themselves through that experience.
Bradley R. Weissenberger
King Of All The Taverns

BRADLEY A WHASSAFUUGER:

Postby LIAM on Thu Jan 22, 2004 2:02 am

I think you are awesome.
LIAM
utility man
utility man

Postby jupiter on Thu Jan 22, 2004 10:52 am

Bradley R. Weissenberger wrote:The Polyphonic Spree..... I will do my best to dissuade anyone from ever putting themselves through that experience.

After reading that one, I remembered reading a review by Jim Derogatis about their show last spring. I guess this one speaks volumes about his musical taste.

http://www.suntimes.com/output/derogati ... ero13.html

P.S. I never saw them play, but the photo of the lead singer that accompanied this article was enough to dissuade me.
be good or be good at it....
jupiter
cats
cats

Postby tgavin on Thu Jan 22, 2004 11:33 am

I suppose it couldn't have been the worst band I've ever seen, but certainly the most memorable disappointment award would have to go to Pavement. This was in Boston, after "Crooked Rain". I had their first couple of albums, and was prepared for a healthy dose of the slop, but on this fine evening at the Avalon, they outdid themselves. The band just could not care less; songs stopped and started with what only could have been boredom as the prime mover, and overall they sounded atrocious. What's worse, a bunch of sing-along fans surrounding me were vocally enjoying the show, either in spite, or because of the shitty performance - I'm not sure which. I don't know if this show was representative of the live Pavement experience or not, since I never wasted my money on them again. I don't think I even put on another Pavement album for about five years after that.

On the positive side, Thinking Fellers - a band I was only dimly aware of previously - opened, and were suprisingly great. As compared to their albums I've bought since, that was a high point to match Pavement's low.

-Tom
tgavin
bishop
bishop

Postby Mr. Chimp on Thu Jan 22, 2004 11:33 am

Soul Coughing Soul Coughing Soul Coughing Soul Coughing Soul Coughing Soul Coughing
Soul Coughing Soul Coughing Soul Coughing Soul Coughing Soul Coughing Soul Coughing

This was the worst show ever.

I joined some old bandmates for a "Hey! Let's get smashed and drive up to Milwaukee on a Wednesday night in Winter" evening, of which Soul Coughing was the lynchpin component.

Knowing minimal about the band (heard a record or two? by that point) I recalled mildly enjoyed one or two of the "grooves, man..." and upon the invitation, proceeded with the old faithful adage of:

the music [almost] always sounds better live.

No, my friends. No it does not.

I think, no, I know that I would have been so much happier just watching the drummer play. I think that Mr. Gubay is a large talent (esp. Firewater recordings).

But that M. Doughty guy can suck it.

I would label this band and this man as one of the early apices of "White Man Influenced by the Hip-Hop" that so permeates the world we know today. I hoped it was just an anomaly, but sadly, true believers, it is viral in nature and has only continued spread.

Now I'm not hanging this all on Mr. Doughty.

No no no.

But he is to indie rockers what Anthony Kedis is to frat boys.

And that, my friends, is a damn shame.

Oh yeah. So about the show -

Drums great.

Bass present, "groovy"

Keyboard sampler dude - extrememly amanable to not making a lasting impression.

It was super packed and M. Doughty waved his hands around like a jackass and intoned his lyrics in what I can only describe as " you are in trouble with the Assistant Principal as announced over the intercom" delivery.

It. Sucked.
Mr. Chimp

Postby geiginni on Thu Jan 22, 2004 11:52 am

Yes, Chimp; though I'd say it was not the worst show I've ever seen. I saw Soul Coughing about 5-6 years ago at First Ave. in MPLS and, largely due to Mr. Doughty, the show blew. The opening act, a talentless DJ, who basically played records set up the evening for unprecidented blowing of shits.

Mr. Gubay is/was fantastic, and kept my attention despite the amount of idiocy occurring on all sides.
geiginni

Postby gaetano on Thu Jan 22, 2004 12:59 pm

for me it was the Dandy Wharols playing at a festival in Italy two years ago.
they sucked.the vocal delivery,the sound,and ,most of all, the drummer were horrible.
the drummer had such a sloppy tempo...unlistenable.

also i saw Hole playing at Reading in 95.
Courtney Love is a living insult to guitar playing and singing.and fore half of the showtime she just talked and talked .

i was forgetting Spearhead: Micheal Franti is a clown.
gaetano
freelance gynaecologist
freelance gynaecologist

Next

Return to General Discussion