home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Worst live band you've ever seen

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Re: Worst live band you've ever seen

Postby mmmribsmmm on Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:25 pm

I also have seen Atari Teenage Riot. My gawwd it was terrible. They had a bunch of stupid fucking strobe lights going and it was giving me a headache. I went out in the hall for their entire set. I should probably mention this was at a Ministry show at the Riviera. I think.
http://steadystateskc.bandcamp.com/

"Get in the car, I'm from the future."
mmmribsmmm
"kick a ginger day" victim
"kick a ginger day" victim

Postby Otto Parts on Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:51 pm

I probably should also mention (3) Godspeed You Black Emperor. They played well enough, but I could have gotten the same experience by staying home and listening to their CD while watching "Koyaanisqatsi" on television with the sound turned down. And I wouldn't have had to stand up for 3 hours in a sweltering club packed shoulder to shoulder with 500 smelly chain-smokers.

That said, their most recent album was surprisingly good. I skipped the live show, though.
Otto Parts
julia sweeney
julia sweeney

Postby zom-zom on Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:41 pm

Violent Femmes.. yeah I saw them when they first hit the scene. They were good at what they did, but their music was terrible garbage, executed well.
zom-zom
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby AnthonyVillalobos on Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:15 pm

Shit, I'm struggling to remember this band's name, but they opened for my friend's band in Anaheim some time around 2004.

They were the worst kind of bullshit. The fake ass, 40 year old emo boy on stage was literally crying talking about his fans or whatever (there was like, ten there). Constantly reaching out his hand like he's on some Scott Stapp shit.

He was trying to get the crowd involved in their Story Of The Year horseshit and a couple of friends and I couldn't take it anymore, so we started heckling the shit out of them.

This guy threw the biggest diva fit I have ever seen someone throw. He told the whole band to "shut it down! shut if off RIGHT NOW!" to talk to us.

We straight up told him his band was wack as all fuck and that he should stop playing immediately.

He followed that up with "oh yeah? We suck huh? Then why did you guys even pay to come inside? Did you really just pay money to ruin everyone's good time (no one was having one)?"

I then told him we didn't pay to get in and that we were waiting to see our friends band and he was making it unbearable. I also reminded him that he's too old have mascara running down his face.

They stopped playing which ruled, but I'll never forget how horrible they were.

I want to say the band name was The Happening or some stupid shit like that.
AnthonyVillalobos
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby atomjackfuser on Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:58 pm

Smog. Bill Callahan just sucked. Strangely, Unsane and Season to Risk opened. Lawrence, KS. 1994. I still don't know how that lineup got setup.
atomjackfuser
not wearing any pants
not wearing any pants

Postby WoundedFoot on Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:00 pm

AnthonyVillalobos wrote:Shit, I'm struggling to remember this band's name, but they opened for my friend's band in Anaheim some time around 2004.

They were the worst kind of bullshit. The fake ass, 40 year old emo boy on stage was literally crying talking about his fans or whatever (there was like, ten there). Constantly reaching out his hand like he's on some Scott Stapp shit.

He was trying to get the crowd involved in their Story Of The Year horseshit and a couple of friends and I couldn't take it anymore, so we started heckling the shit out of them.

This guy threw the biggest diva fit I have ever seen someone throw. He told the whole band to "shut it down! shut if off RIGHT NOW!" to talk to us.

We straight up told him his band was wack as all fuck and that he should stop playing immediately.

He followed that up with "oh yeah? We suck huh? Then why did you guys even pay to come inside? Did you really just pay money to ruin everyone's good time (no one was having one)?"

I then told him we didn't pay to get in and that we were waiting to see our friends band and he was making it unbearable. I also reminded him that he's too old have mascara running down his face.

They stopped playing which ruled, but I'll never forget how horrible they were.

I want to say the band name was The Happening or some stupid shit like that.

I can't believe any band would "stop playing" just because they are being heckled. At the risk of sounding like a preachy hardcore dude, that shows 0 integrity and/or character as a musician. In that situation, I'd try to stretch out the set as long as possible to piss off the hecklers. Why let it get to you? If someone is heckling you, fuck it. Keep going. What a bunch of nancy boys.

Good job on getting them to stop though.
WoundedFoot
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom

Postby Dave//Eksvplot on Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:40 am

A Landing Craft wrote:2nd place: Rosie Red Rash at Portishead's ATP way back in 2007. Seriously dreadful, but in a way I felt sorry for them because everyone seemed to exit after the first song. Still, it was painful and they deserved it.

Huh. There's footage of this here.
madmanmunt wrote:You think Michelangelo Antonioni popped out of the womb with Monica Vitti in one hand and the reels of L'Avventura in the other?
Dave//Eksvplot
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby The MayorofRockNRoll on Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:29 pm

atomjackfuser wrote:Smog. Bill Callahan just sucked. Strangely, Unsane and Season to Risk opened. Lawrence, KS. 1994. I still don't know how that lineup got setup.

I'm pretty sure S2R and Unsane were touring together at the time. I think the Smog thing may have been a booking fluke, like the talent buyer was "well, they're in the same place at the same time, wouldn't be too farfetched to put them on the same stage."

I must've missed that one when I lived in KC. Was it the Bottleneck?
I am a weird recluse only here for sex.

PRF Short Fiction Challenge

The staff weren't giving me the things I needed to do my job effectively and give the kids their money's worth...it wasn't too hard considering the concert was only $5
The MayorofRockNRoll
Master of Cunnilingus
Master of Cunnilingus

Postby Heliotropic on Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:54 pm

sea and cake, though I definitely did not play to see them
Heliotropic
man forced to eat beard
man forced to eat beard

Postby atomjackfuser on Tue May 28, 2013 8:33 pm

The MayorofRockNRoll wrote:
atomjackfuser wrote:Smog. Bill Callahan just sucked. Strangely, Unsane and Season to Risk opened. Lawrence, KS. 1994. I still don't know how that lineup got setup.

I'm pretty sure S2R and Unsane were touring together at the time. I think the Smog thing may have been a booking fluke, like the talent buyer was "well, they're in the same place at the same time, wouldn't be too farfetched to put them on the same stage."

I must've missed that one when I lived in KC. Was it the Bottleneck?

Yes. It was at the Bottleneck. Fall semester of 1994.
atomjackfuser
not wearing any pants
not wearing any pants

Postby countwatula on Wed May 29, 2013 6:13 pm

My younger brother dragged me to a Disturbed show once. They kept stopping and threatening to sic security on various audience members because people were throwing bottles on the stage. That's the good part of the story; the bad part is that they played music.
That makes me an angry boy.
countwatula
geese ausbie
geese ausbie

Postby Rémy on Wed May 29, 2013 6:28 pm

The Unknown Mortal Orchestra. Everyone seemed to appreciate but I didn't.
Too much guitar solos in my opinion. here's a promo picture of the band.
The guitar player tried to play like Jimi Hendrix (understand : play a 3 minutes solo every 2 minutes),laid down on the floor for no reason (it does not make you look cool dude). The riffs were terrible.
The drum player tried to play a drum solo. Okay, you hit fast, that's funny. But try making something musical instead of hitting random shit .
And the bass player spent half of the show asking to technicians if his amp was actually on...
I must admit, not being a fan of Hendrix did not help because it was one of their biggest influence I guess.
Rémy
freelance gynaecologist
freelance gynaecologist

Postby first2letters on Wed May 29, 2013 7:40 pm

The first time I saw the Make Up, at Luciano's in Pittsburgh not long after the band had formed, I went up to Ian Svenonius after the show and told him, tears in my eyes because I was still laughing so hard, that it was one of the funniest parody acts I had ever seen.

Keep in mind that this was pre-Internet explosion when word of mouth (NOU dudes' new band!) still mattered -- I thought the whole thing was a commentary on the minstrelsy of upper-middle-class white guys playing R&B-based garage rock. Like, harDCore semiotics, or whatever -- as if people had time to commit to that and travel the country in a van teaching lessons to kids in smoky punk clubs.

I was young and dumb.

He was pretty bummed.
first2letters
satan
satan

Postby lemur68 on Wed May 29, 2013 9:33 pm

first2letters wrote:The first time I saw the Make Up, at Luciano's in Pittsburgh not long after the band had formed, I went up to Ian Svenonius after the show and told him, tears in my eyes because I was still laughing so hard, that it was one of the funniest parody acts I had ever seen.

Keep in mind that this was pre-Internet explosion when word of mouth (NOU dudes' new band!) still mattered -- I thought the whole thing was a commentary on the minstrelsy of upper-middle-class white guys playing R&B-based garage rock. Like, harDCore semiotics, or whatever -- as if people had time to commit to that and travel the country in a van teaching lessons to kids in smoky punk clubs.

I was young and dumb.

He was pretty bummed.

Isn't that exactly what they were?
big_dave wrote:This is just about finding a dorky selfie on his blogspot?

Jesus, this is the Space Ace by Don Bluth of internet intrigue.
lemur68
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby pwalshj on Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:07 am

Rémy wrote:The Unknown Mortal Orchestra.

Holee crap I just looked them up. Do bands say they're designed in Cupertino now?
"If you aren't offered a hot dog or a burger this week it ain't them... It's you." - Ray Chimaro - July 1st 2009
pwalshj
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Postby Fat Goth on Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:40 am

Blink 182, Glasgow Barrowlands, 2000.

I used to enjoy pop punk music in my teens. It's obviously not something I like to brag about, but it's where my interest in music began and I don't see any point in trying to deny it. However, this show was the exact point where my enthusiasm for the genre came to violently abrupt end.
Blink 182's performance was utterly abysmal in every respect. They could barely play and the endless fart/dick/tit jokes just hammered home the feeling I had been a complete idiot for favouring them in the first place.
I guess the only positive I took from the whole experience was it taught my naivety an important lesson about studio-based trickery; just because a band/artist on record sounds like it would be incredible in the live setting isn't always the case!
Last edited by Fat Goth on Sat Dec 23, 2017 5:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fat Goth
fan
fan

Postby zircona1 on Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:19 am

Weezer on the Pinkerton tour. Rivers just moved back and forth the whole time, looked bored and didn't engage with the crowd (I heard that album was a difficult time for him, FWIW). The show was packed, and some guy from the balcony spilled his beer on me. To top off this shit cake, I got a nasty 24-hour flu the next day.

Second place goes to Ariel Pink's Haunted Graffiti at Pitchfork Fest in 2011. Ariel was 'singing' out of a headset and I could barely understand him, he kept stumbling around the stage and fell down once. Just didn't really seem to give a shit. The set was cut short, he left the stage with time left, and one of his bandmates said to the crowd, "I guess that's it."

Pitchfork praised this performance, because of course they did.
- "Whatever happened to that album?"
- "I broke it, remember? I threw it against the wall, and it like, shattered."
zircona1
aaron burr
aaron burr

Postby sulfur)addict on Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:36 am

Yngwie Malmsteen

(I didn't pay for it)

He never attempted to make music. Not even once. It was half an hour of scales exercises, spin the guitar, throw it to the roadie, kick the pick into the crowd, catch the next guitar.
Kerouacian as fuck.

NewDarkAge wrote:why, the fuck, would you post zizek in this thread
sulfur)addict
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness

Postby Anthony Flack on Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:54 pm

pwalshj wrote:
Rémy wrote:The Unknown Mortal Orchestra.

Holee crap I just looked them up. Do bands say they're designed in Cupertino now?

From New Zealand... and the New Zealand press think they're the greatest thing going before Lorde happened because they have some traction internationally or I don't know.
Anthony Flack
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby pwalshj on Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:19 am

Fat Goth wrote:Blink 182, Glasgow Barrowlands, 2000.

I used to enjoy pop punk music in my teens. It's obviously not something I like to brag about, but it's where my interest in music began and I don't see any point in trying to deny it.

Don't. Everybody starts somewhere. I think the first record I bought with my own money was "Glass Houses" by Billy Joel but i still pretend to be hazy and claim it's 'Tatoo You"

EDIT: formatting
"If you aren't offered a hot dog or a burger this week it ain't them... It's you." - Ray Chimaro - July 1st 2009
pwalshj

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion